new to cruises, specific Viking questions

powerdog

My wife and I are taking the Viking Baltic Sea and Russia cruise in late April. I've learned a lot from books and this board, but I still have random questions. Would appreciate any info!

1. Is it very easy to take public transportation from Viking's Stockholm port to Skansen and back?

2. Regarding footware: For onboard restaurants, we're likely to have most meals at the buffet and one reserved evening at Manfredi's. Definitely not interested in the Chef's Table. Can I get away with new, clean walking shoes, or must I have leather ones for Manfredi's?

3. If I don't buy an international SIM or calling plan, is there someone I can text on the ship if, for example, I can't find my way back from a wi-fi equipped cafe?

4. What happens if a walking shore excursion proves too much? Would I call a taxi, or does Viking have a sag wagon?

5. This seems really trivial, but not so much if you've had a spinal fusion like me: Is it likely that the ship can loan me a heating pad? I know they won't allow one from home.

Thank you!

1. Google Maps' Directions can answer this question. The hitch is knowing where you will be docking--and even then it can change without notice..

2. There are no restrictions on footwear (although I haven't yet tried wearing my bunny slippers to dinner on those nights when my feet are really hurting). DH and I both travel in Sketcher Go Walks  and have never been refused seating at any meal in any venue.

3. We use WhatsApp, which works over wi-fi. Our phones stay in airplane mode, which works with wi-fi and GPS. I download Google maps to use offline and I can follow where I am to where I have to get to without having to turn on data and dialing. In case of emergency, I would simple turn on data and dialing and make any call I need to make; it is cheaper than paying for a plan (although I do have a plan on my Verizon phone that charges me $10 for 24 hours, see Verizon for details).

Also, most phones these days work overseas and although you will pay more  per call, there is nothing to stop you from just calling the ship. For just a short call or two, it is probably cheaper than paying for an International Calling plan.

4. Your guide can probably call a cab for you but it is on your nickel. Or point you in the direction of the nearest taxi rank.

5. Contact Viking at tellus@vikingcruises.com and discuss this directly with them. They will either get you an answer or put you in touch with the right department.

Edited by Peregrina651
  • Like 1

I don't think #5 is trivial at all.  I have some elbow issues and while I don't use an electrical heating pad, I do use a bean bag that is designed to go in the microwave for about 2 minutes and provides about 20 minutes of heat.  Given that, can a pax gain access to a microwave on board or have a crew member warm it for me?  If so, you might consider that as a cruise alternative.  The one I have is long and tubular very light weight and could pull double duty as a neck pillow on an airplane.

On a November cruise to Cuba, many men wore sandals without socks to Manfredi and Chef's Table. No issues that I experienced in my sandals. Long trousers, though.

FWIW, I packed and used a pair of dark brown Levi jeans. No problems. I found Viking to be agreeable as long as the guest was not sloppy

---------------------

One foot traveler on the Santiago de Cuba walking tour / forced march decided to check out. She walked over to a vintage taxi, negotiated a fare, and went back to the dock.

• Like 2

Thank you all for your helpful replies. My black leather shoes will stay home, as will my torn pants and paint-splattered shirts. 

I'm going to ask our travel agent about heating pads, but I can get by with a tube of Aspercreme with Lidocaine if necessary. (3.4 oz or less, of course!)

• Like 1

Update on the heating pad issue: I contacted my travel agent, who contacted Viking. You can get advance permission to take one on board. They note it in your paperwork. I feel better about the long "on foot" excursions I've signed up for.

• Like 3

There is public transportation to Skanssen and right in that area is Vasa Museum, Nordic Museum and ABBA museum.  The transportation varies depending on what time of the year you are there.  The fairy does not always operate.  The HOHO bus runs there from the port as well as city bus with the right schedule.  

7 minutes ago, powerdog said:

I think I read somewhere that the ship and Skansen are visible from each other.

Yes, they are but they are on two different islands.  When you look out the port side, when I was on the ship, you could see the amusement park easily, just beyond that is Vasa and off to the right is Skanssen.   If the ferry is operating in the summer season, it crosses from the port to Djurgarten.  If it is not working, you will have to go from Sodermalm to Gamla Stan, to another island,that I cannot remember now to Djurgarten   Stockholm is made up of many islands, joined by short bridges but still everything is not always a direct route

6 minutes ago, powerdog said:

We will be there the first week of May, so I guess the summer ferry won’t be an option. 

Don't have the exact info in front of me but we were there Sept 4 and it wasn't running.  There might be HOHO boat.  I'm not sure but it's worth looking into.  We spent 3 days there before we boarded the ship and loved everything about it.  We could see the ship from our hotel window in Gamla Stan.

You might be able to take the shuttle from the ship and I think it drops you at the Opera House, which is close to the bridge to the island.  Also check the schedule for Skanssen on the day you are looking at. Since it will be preseason, it will probably be open but certainly be on a scaled down operation.  The shuttle will not run on a day that you embark or disembark.

On 2/14/2019 at 3:47 PM, powerdog said:

I think I read somewhere that the ship and Skansen are visible from each other.

We were on the Viking SKY Homelands last May.  We took the Djurgarden Ferry over to the island that had the VASA Museum (as well as many other museums).  It was a very short walk from the ferry dock to the Vasa Museum.   We just caught the ferry in the SE side of Gamla Stan.  It was running quite frequently in May.   Not a far walk from the ship or take the shuttle. 

And yes indeed it provided a rather spectacular view of the Viking SKY from the ferry!  Coming AND going.  Very impressive.

Here are some shots I took.

1577209155_IMG_8973FerrytoVasaMuseum.thumb.jpg.a4316bcfeb93cd820c4ca1ebcceb7814.jpg210036987_IMG_1796FerrytoDjurgardenandVasa-Vikinginbackground.thumb.jpg.987f6a4f253dc77228bf3fc74ab7b203.jpg276271123_IMG_8980DjurgardenFerrytoVasaMuseum.thumb.jpg.7429387ecbc73b9488a462704d288b3b.jpg557861860_IMG_1792VikingSkyinStockholm.thumb.jpg.23ddeed39e6848a1029e52beacad147c.jpg

• Like 1