Bar Harbor Port Date Discrepancy

olemissreb

I'm looking to book our excursion in Bar Harbor, but there seems to be a discrepancy between when RCL is saying we'll be there and when the Bar Harbor cruise schedule says we'll be there.  According to RCL, we should be there on October 1st.  According to Bar Harbor schedule, we should be there on October 4th.  If I book with Oli's Trolley for 10/1 (when I think there is only 1 other ship in port), and it turns out we are supposed to be in port on 10/4 (when there are 3 other ships in port), will Oli's Trolley make that adjustment?  Or do I wait to book when I get on the ship on 9/29 to make the reservation?  UGH so confusing!  Thanks for all the help!

7 minutes ago, LHT28 said:

where  are you seeing the schedule?

Are you on the Serenade?

Yes, we are on the Serenade.  I just googled it.  Let me see if I can find it again and I'll post it.

http://barharbormaine.gov/190/Cruise-Ship-Information

If you scroll down, there is a link to a PDF file with the cruise schedule for 2019.  There are a total of 3 ships currently in port on 10/1 and only 2 on 10/4 (Serenade being one of them). 

Edited by olemissreb
added link

21 minutes ago, LHT28 said:

sorry not working for me

but I did look on a couple of other sites  & it says Oct 1  for Bar Harbor

I emailed the Harbormaster and this was his response:

Good day,

The Serenade of the Seas will be arriving on October 4, 2019 from Halifax, NS and is scheduled in from 7 a.m. to 6 p.m.  October 1st was their first choice for arrival, however the date was not available.

Charlie Phippen
Harbor Master, Town of Bar Harbor

So I guess Serenade will be there on 10/4.  Guess I'd better check other sites to make sure when we are there so I don't screw up reservations.  Of course the first one I check (Halifax) has us there on 10/4.  Guess a call to RCCL is in order.

Edited by olemissreb

That's quite a conundrum.  You would think the Harbor Master has the correct information when he says Oct. 4.  Oddly, RCI's web site does show Oct. 1, as do cruisett.com and cruisetimetables.com, my usual go-to sites for finding out what ships are in what ports when (although things do change and they are not always correct).  I think you do need to call RCI, and tell them about your email from the Harbor Master.    They need to resolve this discrepancy for you.  (From the Harbor Master's email, it sounds as though RCI has not updated their itinerary.) 

Good luck and enjoy your cruise! 

18 hours ago, LHT28 said:

maybe they changed the  route

I see  Serenade  in Halifax Oct 2

https://www.cruisehalifax.ca/our-visitors/cruise-schedule/#october

Well it sure wasn't that way earlier when I was looking at things - of course I neglected to go to that site.  One site I was looking at  (cruise-crew?) still had us in Halifax on 10/4.  Good to know that there will be a sea day between Halifax and Bar Harbor.  Thanks LHT!

Edited by olemissreb

olemissreb:  Are you the first person who realized this discrepancy?  What are others on the roll call reporting?  What a curious situation.   While we have never cruised on RC we cruise frequently on their sister line Celebrity.   We have had non-weather related itinerary changes before (ie, stopping in Sitka versus Dutch Harbor on a TP and not stopping in Callao on a South American cruise) but received e-mails from Celebrity as soon as the itinerary change was made.  keep us posted.

19 hours ago, Northern Aurora said:

olemissreb:  Are you the first person who realized this discrepancy?  What are others on the roll call reporting?  What a curious situation.   While we have never cruised on RC we cruise frequently on their sister line Celebrity.   We have had non-weather related itinerary changes before (ie, stopping in Sitka versus Dutch Harbor on a TP and not stopping in Callao on a South American cruise) but received e-mails from Celebrity as soon as the itinerary change was made.  keep us posted.

The roll call has been very quiet, so no info there.  I actually started the roll call when I booked the cruise a year ago and just posted yesterday what I had discovered.  I really wish Royal would just fess up and let us know about the changes.  I've got some research to do and find out who I can really talk to at RCL to verify this information.

Oh and I love Celebrity - more than Royal. Would much prefer to be on X for this cruise, but I couldn't beat the deal I got and I didn't notice Celebrity doing a similar itinerary at roughly the same time frame.

• 3 weeks later...

Just an update.  As suspected, the itinerary did change.  Just got the email a couple days ago.  For anyone interested, here's the email with the updated itinerary.

Dear Guest,

Thank you for choosing Royal Caribbean International for our upcoming Serenade of the Seas, September 29th, 2019 sailing. We look forward to welcoming you onboard and wanted to share an important itinerary change with you.

We’ve been advised that there is some port congestion in Bar Harbor, Maine. To avoid large crowds and provide you with a comfortable experience, we’ve rearranged our itinerary to ensure you have the best vacation with us. Your updated itinerary is below.

Day

Port of Call

Arrive

Depart

Tender/Dock

Sun

Boston, Massachusetts

5:00 PM

D

Mon

Saint John, New Brunswick (Bay Of Fundy)

10:15 AM

9:30 PM

D

Tue

Cruising

C

Wed

Halifax, Nova Scotia

7:00 AM

7:00 PM

D

Thu

Cruising

C

Fri

Bar Harbor, Maine

6:00 PM

T

Sat

Portland, Maine

D

Sun

Boston, Massachusetts

D

This cruise will offer the perfect mix of historic charm, ocean views, scenic lighthouses, and delicious food. While in Halifax, explore vibrant fishing village of Peggy’s Cove. Kayak on the coast of the Saint John River and enjoy a Lobster Cookout. Or discover the delicious cuisine of Bar Harbor by sampling locally produced and prepared foods. Whatever you do, you’ll have a great time!

Lastly, any affected pre- paid Royal Caribbean International shore excursions scheduled for Saint John, Halifax, Bar Harbor, and Portland will be rescheduled by our Shore Excursions Department for you. Within the next 3 business days, you will receive an email from our Shore Excursions Department advising of your refund details. Then, feel free to browse through our Cruise Planner for additional excursions that may interest you.

Thank you for understanding. We can’t wait to welcome you onboard.

Sincerely,

Image did not load.

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, Book bug said:

Interestingly our Bar Harbor port of call has been swapped for the same reason in mid October on adventure of the seas, 

I guess RCCL was a little slow in trying to get berths in Bar Harbor. Maybe next time they'll secure those before posting the itineraries.  Hope that it doesn't affect anything you were planning on doing or your other port stops.

7 hours ago, Book bug said:

Portland has been shortened by 2 1/2 hours so now leaving mid afternoon which isn't so great in order to get to St Johns to dock at 5.25 am! Least we haven't lost a port of call

WOW - at least we still have full port times. We're just heading to Canada first and then back to Maine - ending with Portland instead of starting with it.  Then again, we are leaving out of Boston, so that may make a difference too.

On 3/23/2019 at 7:20 AM, Book bug said:

Interestingly our Bar Harbor port of call has been swapped for the same reason in mid October on adventure of the seas, 

I am on the same cruise.  Interestingly, I have never received an e-mail about the change, only learning about it on our Roll Call!  We had to switch around some booked private tours, but all is working out.   At least they gave (some of us) a lot of notice on the change!

For the OP - we had booked Olie's Trolley prior to the itinerary change.  No problem, they switched the tour date for us.

Edited by Sunny AZ Girl

• 1 month later...

We at least did get an email on the changes, then a couple more when our excursions were changed! Bar Harbour isn't that good now as were supposed to be in the morning now lunchtime departure so not sure if will get to see much of bar Harbor itself as a tender port or if we can meet dockside. I guess will have to see once onboard

• 1 month later...

More interesting info on bar Harbor - posted on our roll call - the cruise on adventure prior to ours has now cancelled bar Harbor completely and now has two days in Portland ,due to three ships in port. Await to see whether any more changes will occur to ours.

18 hours ago, Book bug said:

More interesting info on bar Harbor - posted on our roll call - the cruise on adventure prior to ours has now cancelled bar Harbor completely and now has two days in Portland ,due to three ships in port. Await to see whether any more changes will occur to ours.

YIKES!  I would hate that.  Check the Bar Harbor Port Authority (or something like that) to see if there are any changes.  From my understanding, they can only take 3 ships and when those berths are gone, that's it.  RCCL needs to get their act together and make sure those berths are booked before they publish the itineraries.  Praying that there will be no more changes to your itinerary.  Heck, I'd better double check for myself just to be sure since I now have all of my excursions booked.

Here's the site I found.  About halfway down the page is a link to a PDF file of the 2019 Cruise Ship Schedule.  https://www.barharbormaine.gov/190/Cruise-Ship-Information

Edited by olemissreb
Additional Info

Thank you, interesting they only have 3 ships in each day so wondering how they messed up. Thanks for the link had a look and it seems we are the only ship in that day so fingers crossed no more changes.

• Like 1

I think they really only want 2 ships.  If at all possible they will change to make that happen.  Our cruise was changed to Oct 10.  the problem for s is it makes us go back and forth into Canadian territory.  We are wondering about immigration and customs.  Do we go through it twice? 

• 3 weeks later...
On 3/8/2019 at 8:46 AM, olemissreb said:

Just an update.  As suspected, the itinerary did change.  Just got the email a couple days ago.  For anyone interested, here's the email with the updated itinerary.

Dear Guest,

Thank you for choosing Royal Caribbean International for our upcoming Serenade of the Seas, September 29th, 2019 sailing. We look forward to welcoming you onboard and wanted to share an important itinerary change with you.

We’ve been advised that there is some port congestion in Bar Harbor, Maine. To avoid large crowds and provide you with a comfortable experience, we’ve rearranged our itinerary to ensure you have the best vacation with us. Your updated itinerary is below.

Day

Port of Call

Arrive

Depart

Tender/Dock

Sun

Boston, Massachusetts

5:00 PM

D

Mon

Saint John, New Brunswick (Bay Of Fundy)

10:15 AM

9:30 PM

D

Tue

Cruising

C

Wed

Halifax, Nova Scotia

7:00 PM

D

Thu

Cruising

C

Fri

Bar Harbor, Maine

T

Sat

Portland, Maine

D

Sun

Boston, Massachusetts

D

This cruise will offer the perfect mix of historic charm, ocean views, scenic lighthouses, and delicious food. While in Halifax, explore vibrant fishing village of Peggy’s Cove. Kayak on the coast of the Saint John River and enjoy a Lobster Cookout. Or discover the delicious cuisine of Bar Harbor by sampling locally produced and prepared foods. Whatever you do, you’ll have a great time!

Lastly, any affected pre- paid Royal Caribbean International shore excursions scheduled for Saint John, Halifax, Bar Harbor, and Portland will be rescheduled by our Shore Excursions Department for you. Within the next 3 business days, you will receive an email from our Shore Excursions Department advising of your refund details. Then, feel free to browse through our Cruise Planner for additional excursions that may interest you.

Thank you for understanding. We can’t wait to welcome you onboard.

Sincerely,

Image did not load.

I got a similar e-mail a while back for our Adventure of the seas sailing.

On 3/23/2019 at 10:20 AM, Book bug said:

Our August 31st Cruise on Adventure also had a change with the same letter.

We’re going to St John first, then back to Bar Harbor which means we have to go thru customs again!