HOHO buses in Copenhagen

Jemnibabe

2 hours ago, Jemnibabe said:

From my research, it appears to be 2 different HOHO buses in Copenhagen, a red bus and a green one?  Is this actually true and if so, which is the better one to use, not necessarily the cheapest one.  Thanks..

Judy from SW Florida

Let me preface this by saying I haven't been, yet.  But I've been researching this for an upcoming Baltic cruise that will actually port in Copenhagen 2 separate times.  From what I've gleaned, they are all run by the same company.  The Red Bus is the main one and runs all year round.  The green and purple buses cover additional areas but only run in the summer.

Here is the link to where I got my info with better description of where each goes and how they work the ticketing.  Since we will be there in late April, then early May, it will be just the Red bus for us.

https://city-sightseeing.com/en/16/copenhagen

I'm also looking at doing HOHO buses in the Baltic countries this summer. While I haven't made a final decision, I'm leaning towards Stromma because they have a 'buy 3 different cities, get 1 city free' special.  Here's a link:

https://www.stromma.com/stromma-group/cruise/city-sightseeing-nordic-baltic/baltic-nordic/

12 hours ago, Toofarfromthesea said:

Let me preface this by saying I haven't been, yet.  But I've been researching this for an upcoming Baltic cruise that will actually port in Copenhagen 2 separate times.  From what I've gleaned, they are all run by the same company.  The Red Bus is the main one and runs all year round.  The green and purple buses cover additional areas but only run in the summer.

Here is the link to where I got my info with better description of where each goes and how they work the ticketing.  Since we will be there in late April, then early May, it will be just the Red bus for us.

https://city-sightseeing.com/en/16/copenhagen

Thank you for that information.  Sounds like you are doing the same cruise as I am, perhaps on a different ship.  Have been to Copenhagen before but this time plan to spend a few days there after the cruise.  Have a great week.

Judy from SW Florida

10 hours ago, Jemnibabe said:

Thank you for that information.  Sounds like you are doing the same cruise as I am, perhaps on a different ship.  Have been to Copenhagen before but this time plan to spend a few days there after the cruise.  Have a great week.

Judy from SW Florida

We will be on MSC Meraviglia, departing Kiel on April 27th.  We have never been to Copenhagen.  I did some preliminary research a while back and I think I recall a canal tour of some sort that I want to look into. Anything where you are on the water is right up our alley.

Have a great trip.

• 3 weeks later...

We were in Copenhagen last summer and used the red bus. It was the worst hoho bus tour we've ever took and would not recommend it (we've done alot of hoho tours that were just fine).. The agents running it did not know what they were doing. They made us get on a bus for the tour, then told us to get off as it was only going to be a shuttle to the meeting place. then after exiting, they told us to get back on the same bus for the tour but it was so crowded, no seats were available, etc. Their credit card machines didn't work.  I wrote a review on Trip Advisor. Good luck, but you've been warned.

On 2/13/2019 at 8:29 PM, Radbooks said:

I'm also looking at doing HOHO buses in the Baltic countries this summer. While I haven't made a final decision, I'm leaning towards Stromma because they have a 'buy 3 different cities, get 1 city free' special.  Here's a link:

https://www.stromma.com/stromma-group/cruise/city-sightseeing-nordic-baltic/baltic-nordic/

Take reviews for what they are worth, but at least for Stockholm, the reviews on TripAdvisor and other sites for Stromma are horrendous.  I have never seen such a slant towards 1 star (near 50% with 400+ reviews) and a smattering of 5 stars and the rest in between.  They were bad enough that it changed my Stockholm strategy for our upcoming cruise.  May be different in other ports, but I was only looking at Stockholm.

59 minutes ago, ropomo said:

Take reviews for what they are worth, but at least for Stockholm, the reviews on TripAdvisor and other sites for Stromma are horrendous.  I have never seen such a slant towards 1 star (near 50% with 400+ reviews) and a smattering of 5 stars and the rest in between.  They were bad enough that it changed my Stockholm strategy for our upcoming cruise.  May be different in other ports, but I was only looking at Stockholm.

Thanks, good to know!!!

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

We used the "red" bus in Copenhagen in 2017 and it worked out well--had no problems with the fellow selling tickets.  We were there for several days post-cruise and we initially did the circuit that went out to Oceankaj (to see the Little Mermaid etc). I then used it several more times.  Sometimes I would walk from our hotel (near the RR station) to sites I wanted to see and then catch the HOHO back.  We'd been to Copenhagen 4 times before 2017 so we were pretty familiar with what there was to see.  This last time I revisited my favorites as well as a few churches, while my DH stayed at the hotel.  Most of the churches have been repurposed (e.g. one former cathedral near the main shopping area is now an art museum).  One of the things I love about Copenhagen are the many different (and pretty) styles of steeples--very photogenic.  Then there are the palaces like Amalienborg, where the current queen (Margrethe II) lives.  The royal yacht is docked nearby <g>.    Frederik's Church, a magnificent place, is also in the vicinity.  An older palace, Rosenborg Slot, is bit further away from the other places I've mentioned, but is on a HOHO route.  It's a museum now and houses the royal jewels among other things; has a wonderful garden as well.  There are many museums, although we haven't visited any of them except for the palaces.

• Thanks 1

• 4 weeks later...
On 2/14/2019 at 4:55 PM, Toofarfromthesea said:

We will be on MSC Meraviglia, departing Kiel on April 27th.  We have never been to Copenhagen.  I did some preliminary research a while back and I think I recall a canal tour of some sort that I want to look into. Anything where you are on the water is right up our alley.

Have a great trip.

Hi, I remember well you are doing B2B cruise and I start with you in Kiel but dismbk in Kiel while you keep going.

In my research HoHo buses state that their service from Oceankaj start at 11, a bit late don´t you think?

So for everybody wondering I thought of a couple of other options when arriving and getting off (at around 8:45 maybe?😞

1)Hire a couple of bikes (DW and I), must be fun!

2)Share a Cab

3)Transport day pass, around 12 Euro, BUT start figuring out how to travel the city.

Any other sugestions?

• 3 months later...
On 3/8/2019 at 11:40 AM, dabear said:

We were in Copenhagen last summer and used the red bus. It was the worst hoho bus tour we've ever took and would not recommend it (we've done alot of hoho tours that were just fine).. The agents running it did not know what they were doing. They made us get on a bus for the tour, then told us to get off as it was only going to be a shuttle to the meeting place. then after exiting, they told us to get back on the same bus for the tour but it was so crowded, no seats were available, etc. Their credit card machines didn't work.  I wrote a review on Trip Advisor. Good luck, but you've been warned.

which HOHO did you use?  city sightseeing, red buses, or stromma?  the reviews on all of them are awful.

are they really all run by the same company?

Edited by dethman

We were on the HOHO buses recently, there are 2 companies that have red buses you have to check the names of the buses when waiting at each stop.I don`t remember which one we used. We took the bus after leaving the cruise ship to go to our hotel. A number of people doing that instead of taking a cab.  

In the end I used citysightseeing which apparently is run by Stromma, with 6 ppl, without any issues.  Frequent buses, wait mostly was 0 to 10 minutes.  Yes the commentary was pretty poor but I already anticipated that and read up on the sights.   Also took their boat tour. Not as much of a nightmare as I had read on here earlier. 

Edited by dethman

We just did Copenhagen twice while B2B on the MSC Poesia. We did several HOHO buses and canals while on the cruise. Stromma and another. Both were good. I only wanted to add that the Poesia docked about 30min from city center. NCL Getaway and Costa Favalousa also docked there. MSC ran a shuttle for about 14euro a person. The HOHO buses were also there to pick up and drop off at the ship.

• 3 weeks later...

There is nothing called Princess Dock in Copenhagen. 

If you mean where the Princess cruise ships are docking then it would mostly be Oceankaj. 

I seem to recall that they run a shuttle between Oceankaj and the Little Mermaid from where you get on the regular lines.