Cruise Directors are not trying to win over millennials

mcatmcat

Hi

Every time I talk to my friends ( millennials) about cruise lines and their ships the topic about Royal Caribbean's cruise directors come out and none of them have a positive view about it. I know the subject can vary from person to person I dont believe they are bad but honestly they need some changes. Experience is important to be be a cruise director but also energy I remember on the Allure that ken Rush had a hard time dancing and he was trying on the other hand Ricky Matthew was unstoppable and funny same class ship different years.  The newest commercials are targeting millennials from left to right, we book the newest ship, we want the fun experience only to encounter a boring or repetitive cruise director. Maybe its working for Royal or maybe a change is coming to woo millennials, who knows 

Cw_rxSYXgAEVJmP.jpg

Edited by mcatmcat

6 minutes ago, John&LaLa said:

The CD ranks about 200th on my list of things I look forward to. 

Wow, that high.

i think I know the name of one CD I’ve sailed with, only because it is the same name as a friend of ours and they happened to ask us about something.

• Like 5

Maybe millennials are not quite at an age where they care about cruise directors. In my 20’s and 30’s, for me the cruise director was nothing more than a muffled voice over the loudspeaker. Couldn’t have cared less. Now in my 40’s, I’m gradually starting to pay more attention to the cruise director and what they do, but even now, I’m still not caring too much. 

So I’m wondering if it’s truly a problem with Royal’s CD’s, or if it’s simply because millennials are simply not old enough to care. 

• Like 1

As a millennial I'd like to weigh in, but I haven't been on Royal yet (in December!). I've been on Carnival and Norwegian. My first cruise ever was on Carnival Vista and we had an awesome CD! I still follow him on Instagram! He had such an outgoing personality, he was a constant presence throughout the cruise, and really engaged the cruisers. NCL was a different story. The CD was practically absent, I saw more of his asst. CDs than him! I like a fun, energetic CD that engages you, not someone who is part of the background. I feel like it ties everything together. I'm interested to see what it's like on Harmony in December.

• Like 1

Hey, I'm 61 but I hear you.

What I'm hearing from the previous posters is that you (the millennials) don't matter. I think they're wrong.

I don't see much diversity in that picture you posted.

If the millennials don't find what you need with Royal,,, then take your hard earned money where they will appreciate you

Guess I'm a millennial, I'm 34. The only CD I remember from my four cruises so far was on Majesty,. Her name was Susan, and I think she was Scottish. The only reason I remember her is because it was a smaller ship and she was present at a lot of the activities and events. For my other cruises they were all on larger ships and while I'm sure I saw the CD, I don't remember them at all.

Edited by nws2002

53 minutes ago, gsb said:

There will never be another Richard Spacey.:classic_sad:

We had him on 2 previous cruises on Royal and he was the CD on our Celebrity Equinox cruise last year. His routine was exactly the same high energy. Still doing the different socks and his "I love you" and his special dance.  

46 minutes ago, John&LaLa said:

The CD ranks about 200th on my list of things I look forward to. 

Another in agreement.  

On a Celebrity cruise last year the CD interrupted one of the lounge singers on a couple of different sets. I guess he thought we wanted to hear his karaoke.   In reality it was very irritating.  

42 minutes ago, time4u2go said:

I'd be happy if they would just ditch 70's night and maybe consider moving to something more recent (like at least 80's night?).

HA!  We had 70's night even in the 70's:  they called it Disco Night!!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, pcur said:

HA!  We had 70's night even in the 70's:  they called it Disco Night!!

Lol eventually everyone that remembers the 70's is going to die off.  I would bet RCI will still be doing 70's night even then!

Edited by time4u2go

1 hour ago, time4u2go said:

I'd be happy if they would just ditch 70's night and maybe consider moving to something more recent (like at least 80's night?).

Oh I agree!  It is fascinating that Royal is focusing their ship designs and sales strategy on the younger generations and relaxing dress codes/guidelines in the dining room which is more appealing to the younger cruisers yet the entertainment including headliner shows are not.  Royal really needs to refresh their entertainment options too.  I include this in my post cruise survey everytime.   

2 hours ago, gsb said:

There will never be another Richard Spacey.:classic_sad:

I agree, he is the only cruise director I remember from any cruise I've ever been on.  He was really quite funny.  Still remember him hosting the Belly Flop competition on Oasis.... laughed so much.

19 minutes ago, WeExplore said:

Oh I agree!  It is fascinating that Royal is focusing their ship designs and sales strategy on the younger generations and relaxing dress codes/guidelines in the dining room which is more appealing to the younger cruisers yet the entertainment including headliner shows are not.  Royal really needs to refresh their entertainment options too.  I include this in my post cruise survey everytime.   

I've been away from Royal Caribbean for about five years.  What is the relaxed dress code attire for dining room?

12 minutes ago, Lorey2007 said:

I've been away from Royal Caribbean for about five years.  What is the relaxed dress code attire for dining room?

Well there really is no dress code anymore. You can basically wear whatever you want including shorts, T-shirt’s, tank tops, ball caps, flip flops etc.