Cruise Directors are not trying to win over millennials

mcatmcat

6 minutes ago, Glitterati said:

I’m a young millennial (25 this year). I couldn’t care less who the cruise director is. They are not in charge of organising the events that happen across all the ships. 70s night is fun, but maybe newer music could be brought to the same concept? We had an 80’s night on the Symphony which was awesome, but still not my era!! 

The thing that would interest me is things like mario kart competitions on the outdoor screen, nightclub events, silent discos, CrossFit style classes in the gym. Royal have put so much effort into their marketing to target my generation, but the reality often comes up short. 

My boyfriend and I were one of the youngest couples on our Symphony cruise in May. Their newest, “amplified” ship, yet the passenger demographic was very heavy on the 60+. 

I love Royal, but I am definitely going to try out Virgin voyages in the coming years. They seem to have targeted my generation quite well. 

Agree with you 100% on these points. 70s/80s is fun, but here's my main issue: the DJs. Anthem had one of the worst DJs ever! He literally played the exact same songs for 9 nights in a row and when you went to request something, he would look at you like a deer in headlights. I surely hope that isn't fleetwide. 

I am also looking forward to Virgin, and I knew the price point would be higher, but I can get a 9-night cruise on Royal and add the deluxe beverage package and its still cheaper than Virgin's fare, exclusive of alcohol (I think I read they will not be selling packages?). But their entire concept markets well to the millennial generation. I think Richard Branson and his team knocked it out of the park!

Edited by cot427

1 hour ago, Jasukkie said:

Harry Potter Trivia is an example of successfully appealing to millennials. I've never seen so many 20somethings in the Schooner Bar, and several groups of old timers joined up with them to have a fighting chance. I don't know if that is set by the CD or activities director but I liked seeing something that brought in the younger crowd. I'm in my 50s and some of the trivia is before my time lol. 

Reliable high-speed and FREE wifi would be the best things RC could do to bring in the millennials. That would pay for itself very quickly through social media exposure. The "story" concept is huge and they are missing a golden opportunity for marketing. 

Oh yes, HP trivia, and the ONE time we saw "current hit music trivia" are both things which bring in a lot of younger cruisers.

I find your comments about free wifi interesting.  It could well be that you are correct and that would bring in lots more younger cruisers and keep them happier.  However, my own two kids (ages 22 and 20) and the couple of friends they cruise with normally won't even use their free wifi days (Diamond perk)---one of the HUGE draws of cruising for them is putting the phone away and not being plugged in.  In their lives that is a rare thing (that said, they appreciate having it available if needed---my oldest did a job interview via skype from a TA last year---got the job too)

34 minutes ago, cot427 said:

Agree with you 100% on these points. 70s/80s is fun, but here's my main issue: the DJs. Anthem had one of the worst DJs ever! He literally played the exact same songs for 9 nights in a row and when you went to request something, he would look at you like a deer in headlights. I surely hope that isn't fleetwide. 

I am also looking forward to Virgin, and I knew the price point would be higher, but I can get a 9-night cruise on Royal and add the deluxe beverage package and its still cheaper than Virgin's fare, exclusive of alcohol (I think I read they will not be selling packages?). But their entire concept markets well to the millennial generation. I think Richard Branson and his team knocked it out of the park!

On our most recent cruise the DJ was playing the same few, 70s, songs over and over nightly (some of the same songs would repeate less than an hour after he'd played them)---and the dance floor was mostly empty (many were not even good danecbale songs from the 70s---and there is plenty that is very danceable from that era, even if I am sick of them for the mst part).  3 or so nights in about 5 people went up with requests in a short period of time, I was one.  After that he stopped the music, mid song, and got on the mic and lectured the whole club about "if you do not hear a song you like, WAIT; this is my job and I know what to play and at what hour and I do not need people telling me what to do...."   He sounded like an angry teacher chastising young school children.  It went on for about 3-4 minutes, which is really long for something like that. Everyone else was dead silent, in shock at his outburst.  I was appalled---as were many others.  A whole bunch of us were in the elevator leaving together after that and heading to guest services to say something.  Absolutely out of line.

Some of the DJs are good.  DJ Sunil is fantastic.  We'Ve had him 3 times and he always keeps the party going no matter the demographic.

On 2/13/2019 at 7:08 PM, time4u2go said:

I'd be happy if they would just ditch 70's night and maybe consider moving to something more recent (like at least 80's night?).

Yes!  This must go!  It's tired.  It's old.  It's corny.  Oh.  The Cruise Director is dressed up as the police man from The Village People.  Ha.  Ha.  Abe had a 90s on Harmony!  At least have an 80s night or something slightly less corny.

55 minutes ago, Glitterati said:

I’m a young millennial (25 this year). I couldn’t care less who the cruise director is. They are not in charge of organising the events that happen across all the ships. 70s night is fun, but maybe newer music could be brought to the same concept? We had an 80’s night on the Symphony which was awesome, but still not my era!! 

The thing that would interest me is things like mario kart competitions on the outdoor screen, nightclub events, silent discos, CrossFit style classes in the gym. Royal have put so much effort into their marketing to target my generation, but the reality often comes up short. 

My boyfriend and I were one of the youngest couples on our Symphony cruise in May. Their newest, “amplified” ship, yet the passenger demographic was very heavy on the 60+. 

I love Royal, but I am definitely going to try out Virgin voyages in the coming years. They seem to have targeted my generation quite well. 

I agree with your points, except, as I understand it the cruise director DOES have a say in scheduling many of the things you talk about (for example, so long as the ship has the items for Silent Disco, how often it is offered would be decided on board, not by corporate, likewise if HP trivia is offered, etc).

Of the cruises we have been on (which tend to be TAs---already an even older demographoc, or europe) Harmony did the best with activites which were more appealing for younger people, IMO (I say that as a gen Xer with one young millenial and one just barely too young to count as a millenial kids).

The Red party was a lot of fun and (at least on that sailing, with DJ Sunil) played mostly modern music--it was still hoppin' when I left at 2:00ish, having started around 10 or so.  Silent discos were offered at least four times that I recall on a 12 (13?) night TA, the CD hosted a One Hit Wonders party and a 90s party and there were things like HP trivia and some Wii competitions, etc.  My son said it was by far his most fun cruise -- and other than the escape room, that wasn't becuase of features built into the ship but because activites were offered "from sometime this centruy"  (this from a kid who is a huge fan of progressive trivia and other cruise standards  and has no problems at all hanging out with older people, making friends of all ages onboard,  etc--but would still like SOME things that haven't been arouns since before his parents were born).

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Glitterati said:

Hence why Royal may not necessarily be targeting millennials as their primary demographic.  That age group typically isn't in their prime earning years yet with as much disposable income as a little older age brackets.

Honestly, the more I've been thinking about someone saying "RCI doesn't cater to my generation", is like yelling out "Me, Me, Me!"  RCI needs to appeal to all generations as much as possible.  I think they cover it well.

BTW, the last thing I want to deal with is a Mario Kart competition on the outdoor movie screen.  I like the idea, but IMO some other venue would work better that doesn't impact everyone on the pool deck.

Dan

Edited by The Fun Researcher
  • Like 1

Millennials?  How passé.  Generation Z is what it's all about and who the cruise lines should be wooing.  They make up 25% of the US population making them a larger group than millennials or baby boomers.  

As far as CD's go, I never cared with one exception.  They really have no impact on my enjoyment of a cruise.  They are really just background noise.  Richard Spacey though, he was special.  Really stood out.  Too bad he required from cruise life.  

On 2/13/2019 at 10:36 PM, The Fun Researcher said:

OK, I will throw this out there. Maybe cruise directors aren’t  trying to win over millennials.  I don’t go around thinking about why cruise directors aren’t catering to my generation either  (Gen X) .   Never crossed my mind.    I do appreciate a fun, engaging cruise director though.  I think that is universal for all ages. 

Dan

Agree 100%    

38 minutes ago, EMBFlyer said:

Yes!  This must go!  It's tired.  It's old.  It's corny.  Oh.  The Cruise Director is dressed up as the police man from The Village People.  Ha.  Ha.  Abe had a 90s on Harmony!  At least have an 80s night or something slightly less corny.

The 80's is just a carry over of the the 70's with more hairspray and a Members Only Jacket. I should know I was there when it was happening.  If I were to sum it up I think the 80's was a combo of the 60's and 70's but not in a god way.

On 2/13/2019 at 10:36 PM, The Fun Researcher said:

OK, I will throw this out there. Maybe cruise directors aren’t  trying to win over millennials.  I don’t go around thinking about why cruise directors aren’t catering to my generation either  (Gen X) .   Never crossed my mind.    I do appreciate a fun, engaging cruise director though.  I think that is universal for all ages. 

Dan

Also agree 100%, but it seems pretty typical of a millennial to think this way.  Me me me center of the universe.  LOL.  The stereotypes keep reaffirming themselves.  

9 hours ago, DfDinLA said:

I could care less who the cruise director is.  He / she has a negligible impact on my overall cruise experience.

I think your attiude would be different if you were ever lucky enough to experience Richard Spacey.

He's now with Celebrity.

A bad cruise director really is forgettable, a good one makes you wish they were on every ship you board, because they really do add a fun vibe to the whole cruise.

Our best has been Joff Eaton and his partner in crime the activity director (forgot his name, shame on me).  They were a really fun team and set the tone for the whole cruise.  This was on the Indy back in 2014.

Looks like he's moved onto Good Morning Britain!  Much deserved.

https://twitter.com/joffeaton?lang=en

Dan

4 hours ago, Jasukkie said:

Reliable high-speed and FREE wifi would be the best things RC could do to bring in the millennials. That would pay for itself very quickly through social media exposure. The "story" concept is huge and they are missing a golden opportunity for marketing. 

Since it is satellite based, and the antenna size is limited, there is only so much data they can move.

And free is unlikely, due to satellite fees.  Not a like a land based hotel/resort.

3 hours ago, xxHadleyxx said:

Oh yes, HP trivia, and the ONE time we saw "current hit music trivia" are both things which bring in a lot of younger cruisers.

I find your comments about free wifi interesting.  It could well be that you are correct and that would bring in lots more younger cruisers and keep them happier.  However, my own two kids (ages 22 and 20) and the couple of friends they cruise with normally won't even use their free wifi days (Diamond perk)---one of the HUGE draws of cruising for them is putting the phone away and not being plugged in.  In their lives that is a rare thing (that said, they appreciate having it available if needed---my oldest did a job interview via skype from a TA last year---got the job too)

My kids and I feel the same way about being unplugged. But there are enough others who like to document every little thing. Perhaps RC feels they get enough exposure through social media influencers that they already compensate. 

That's funny about your daughter. One of mine did the exact same thing on our cruise last year. I usually don't get the package but we did that time because she had to have a lot of email contact and then the interview and acceptance. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Ourusualbeach said:

Or which ones to avoid.😮

Just wait until Symphony, with Bobby Brown.

Agree???  @Yorkvillain @CruiseLifeRick ????

4 hours ago, Glitterati said:

Did you have Bobby Brown as your CD?  One of the oldest, with the least amount of energy on the newest ship.  Seems like a bad fit to me.  I had him on Harmony and after 8pm at night he wasn't even "bingo calling" the next day's events.  Who knows, with the age demograhics you state, maybe they have the right person for the job.

3 hours ago, singinalot said:

I've been on 6 cruises in 4 years and only remember one cruise director, Matt on Carnival, who was always in the gym with us. I'm 36, but cruise director doesn't really matter to me. I don't need a vacation director to keep me entertained on a land cruise any more than I do on a cruise ship. 

This exactly.  I actually think that I am Lisa's form of entertainment, on land or sea.

Edited by A&L_Ont
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, xxHadleyxx said:

On our most recent cruise the DJ was playing the same few, 70s, songs over and over nightly (some of the same songs would repeate less than an hour after he'd played them)---and the dance floor was mostly empty (many were not even good danecbale songs from the 70s---and there is plenty that is very danceable from that era, even if I am sick of them for the mst part).  3 or so nights in about 5 people went up with requests in a short period of time, I was one.  After that he stopped the music, mid song, and got on the mic and lectured the whole club about "if you do not hear a song you like, WAIT; this is my job and I know what to play and at what hour and I do not need people telling me what to do...."   He sounded like an angry teacher chastising young school children.  It went on for about 3-4 minutes, which is really long for something like that. Everyone else was dead silent, in shock at his outburst.  I was appalled---as were many others.  A whole bunch of us were in the elevator leaving together after that and heading to guest services to say something.  Absolutely out of line.

Some of the DJs are good.  DJ Sunil is fantastic.  We'Ve had him 3 times and he always keeps the party going no matter the demographic.

OMG! I would have done the same thing and went to GS. Which ship were you on and do you remember this name? Not that you can avoid one, but just in case I run across him, I'd like to know which one that is. 

I had Flo as a cruise director on Anthem OTS and I thought she was charming! Sure, she had lame jokes but I feel like that's just one of the quirks of a cruise director. She had an assistant cruise director (can't remember his name, young blonde guy) who was an absolute blast -- lively, funny, and wouldn't mind embarrassing himself in front of the ship to get a laugh.

One thing (unrelated to the cruise director) that I was Royal did was to have a more diverse music library. I like going to clubs every once in a while and I love electronic music, so I'm always disappointed in the nightlife music on board. It tends to be top 40 songs from the last 10 years played over and over again. I realize that not a lot of people enjoy electronic music, but it would cool to have one night on board that caters to that audience. Considering they sail out of Miami (the home of Ultra Music Festival) it would be cool if they collaborated with Royal Caribbean for a night on every sailing out of Miami, showcasing local talent and playing absolute bangers.

28 minutes ago, A&L_Ont said:

Just wait until Symphony, with Bobby Brown.

Agree???  @Yorkvillain @CruiseLifeRick ????

Did you have Bobby Brown as your CD?  One of the oldest, with the least amount of energy on the newest ship.  Seems like a bad fit to me.  I had him on Harmony and after 8pm at night he wasn't even "bingo calling" the next day's events.  Who knows, with the age demograhics you state, maybe they have the right person for the job.

This exactly.  I actually think that I am Lisa's form of entertainment, on land or sea.

You know what, I can’t actually remember who we had. We were on the Symphony in May last year so whoever did the inaugural season. I know CLR was on the maiden voyage so it will have been whoever he had. 

We didn’t see any events that appealed to us aside from the activities on the ship and the 80’s night. We made our own fun. Like how many times can we break the tablets for the bionic bar. Answer: multiple times....and it was never on purpose. It turned out very easy to get out the application and onto the windows operating system.... 

We are on the Navigator for 7 nights in April, and that is aimed at the party cruise scene. They have added a three story bar round the pool which is meant to be hosting late night DJ sessions. We shall see...

22 minutes ago, sbielecki said:

One thing (unrelated to the cruise director) that I was Royal did was to have a more diverse music library. I like going to clubs every once in a while and I love electronic music, so I'm always disappointed in the nightlife music on board. It tends to be top 40 songs from the last 10 years played over and over again. I realize that not a lot of people enjoy electronic music, but it would cool to have one night on board that caters to that audience. Considering they sail out of Miami (the home of Ultra Music Festival) it would be cool if they collaborated with Royal Caribbean for a night on every sailing out of Miami, showcasing local talent and playing absolute bangers.

I also enjoy electronic/techno music among many other genres.  I too would like more diversity in the music played, but I don't hear much top 40 in the nightclubs anymore, it's all hip hop.  Not really my thing but I guess it's popular.  

5 minutes ago, not-enough-cruising said:

How do you know, they haven’t even sailed yet, have they?

Everything I have read has appealed to me, and I’m a millennial. They have stated their main target audience is the 18-35 age group who either haven’t cruised before or want a different experience to what is already out there. No buffets, no dress code, all night parties with up and coming DJ’s, 24 hour food venues, no upcharge restaurants, all is included and there are multiple venues to choose from. The cabin beds that turn into a large L shaped sofa during the day, WiFi included in all fares. It’s not just on the ship either, they are intentionally doing overnight stays so guests can experience nightlife of the cities, they don’t have a private island they have built a beach club in the Bahamas. I could go on, but all the Marketing and language used in the campaigns is very millennial/gen z orientated. 

6 minutes ago, not-enough-cruising said:

And when they realize who has the $$$ and the time to fill their ships, they will modify their experience to suit.  

Who is to say my generation can’t afford it? A bit harsh!