Cruise Directors are not trying to win over millennials

mcatmcat

5 minutes ago, Glitterati said:

Everything I have read has appealed to me, and I’m a millennial. They have stated their main target audience is the 18-35 age group who either haven’t cruised before or want a different experience to what is already out there. No buffets, no dress code, all night parties with up and coming DJ’s, 24 hour food venues, no upcharge restaurants, all is included and there are multiple venues to choose from. The cabin beds that turn into a large L shaped sofa during the day, WiFi included in all fares. It’s not just on the ship either, they are intentionally doing overnight stays so guests can experience nightlife of the cities, they don’t have a private island they have built a beach club in the Bahamas. I could go on, but all the Marketing and language used in the campaigns is very millennial/gen z orientated. 

Sounds like a lot of fun! Have you heard of Fyre Fest?

5 minutes ago, Glitterati said:

Who is to say my generation can’t afford it? A bit harsh! 

I should have been more clear.  Didn’t mean you couldn’t afford it, my apologies. However the fact remains that this particular industry relies on individuals with disposable income but even more importantly disposable time. I am sure you (like me “Gen X”) have limited disposable time so that we can make the disposable income required to have a disposable portion. Enjoy your time with Mr Branson, it will be very interesting what he can do to (for) the industry. 

On 2/14/2019 at 1:08 AM, time4u2go said:

I'd be happy if they would just ditch 70's night and maybe consider moving to something more recent (like at least 80's night?).

We had both on Navigator just this past November. I thought the 80s party was far better than the 70s one and made a nice change from the same old YMCA.

3 minutes ago, FionaMG said:

We had both on Navigator just this past November. I thought the 80s party was far better than the 70s one and made a nice change from the same old YMCA.

Lol good to hear!  Maybe they are finally dragging themselves out of being 40 years behind the times!

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, not-enough-cruising said:

Sounds like a lot of fun! Have you heard of Fyre Fest?

Ha. Yes I have. 

Im not saying all cruises should be like that. But there is that gap in the market.

Cruising used to be for the old or elite. It’s  now more open to everyone. Unfortunatley it still holds that stigma to most people my age. So it is refreshing to the demographic being catered to. 🙂 

27 minutes ago, Glitterati said:

The cabin beds that turn into a large L shaped sofa during the day.

That was pretty common many years ago.  Majesty used to have those.  Interesting that Virgin thinks it's a good idea to go back to that design.  

19 minutes ago, not-enough-cruising said:

I should have been more clear.  Didn’t mean you couldn’t afford it, my apologies. However the fact remains that this particular industry relies on individuals with disposable income but even more importantly disposable time. I am sure you (like me “Gen X”) have limited disposable time so that we can make the disposable income required to have a disposable portion. Enjoy your time with Mr Branson, it will be very interesting what he can do to (for) the industry. 

I agree that it will be a struggle for them

to convince people to spend  at least £700 for a 5 day cruise. However most people around my age are spending more and more on holidays. Me and my colleagues will happily spend £2000pp on a holiday. But we do get between 4-6 weeks off a year in the UK dependent on employer/length of service. This leads to longer holidays being taken in bigger chunks, therefore more money is spent on one trip rather than multiple mini trips.

In addition, as a Brit myself, it’s nice to see another cruise line established by a British owner. I’d like to see him have one based in Southampton in years to come. 

1 hour ago, Glitterati said:

Everything I have read has appealed to me, and I’m a millennial. They have stated their main target audience is the 18-35 age group who either haven’t cruised before or want a different experience to what is already out there. No buffets, no dress code, all night parties with up and coming DJ’s, 24 hour food venues, no upcharge restaurants, all is included and there are multiple venues to choose from. The cabin beds that turn into a large L shaped sofa during the day, WiFi included in all fares. It’s not just on the ship either, they are intentionally doing overnight stays so guests can experience nightlife of the cities, they don’t have a private island they have built a beach club in the Bahamas. I could go on, but all the Marketing and language used in the campaigns is very millennial/gen z orientated. 

My first cruise on Carnival 1986 the two win beds were set up as  L shape day beds with bolsters a long the back to create a sofa and love seat. It was a job and a half for the room steward at turn down time.  I haven't researched Virgin yet but I like the idea of 24 hr food venues which Royal and Celebrity fall short on, no uncharge restaurants, included wifi and overnight stays. As far as I'm concerned Royal doesn't have a dress code either so that's the same.   

35 minutes ago, Iamcruzin said:

My first cruise on Carnival 1986 the two win beds were set up as  L shape day beds with bolsters a long the back to create a sofa and love seat. It was a job and a half for the room steward at turn down time.  I haven't researched Virgin yet but I like the idea of 24 hr food venues which Royal and Celebrity fall short on, no uncharge restaurants, included wifi and overnight stays. As far as I'm concerned Royal doesn't have a dress code either so that's the same.   

On Royal Caribbean as well, in the early days, all the beds were in an L-shape and converted to sofas during the day.  This is nothing new.  The reason was because cabins were tiny.  Once the industry standard went to larger cabins that could accommodate a sofa, the convertible beds to sofas were no longer necessary.  And yes, a lot of work for the cabin stewards to make those up and and strike them down every day.  

As far as no buffet, trust me it's there ... just called something fancy.  Bottom line, it's still a buffet.  

Many of the things on Virgin Voyages are quite cool (especially adult-only), some are just silly and the line is trying almost too hard to be cool.  Included wifi, sodas, restaurants, and group fitness classes are great ... but of course you are paying for it upfront.  Per diems are quite a bit higher than the typical mass-market lines.  

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Iamcruzin said:

The 80's is just a carry over of the the 70's with more hairspray and a Members Only Jacket. I should know I was there when it was happening.  If I were to sum it up I think the 80's was a combo of the 60's and 70's but not in a god way.

You forgot the Jordache jeans!

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Iamcruzin said:

The 80's is just a carry over of the the 70's with more hairspray and a Members Only Jacket. I should know I was there when it was happening.  If I were to sum it up I think the 80's was a combo of the 60's and 70's but not in a god way.

Gotta agree, there was nothing Godly about disco or the 80's stuff.  Preferred the punk stuff myself.  You might want to spell God with the uppercase G, some get upset otherwise.

16 hours ago, eroller said:

Many of the things on Virgin Voyages are quite cool (especially adult-only), some are just silly and the line is trying almost too hard to be cool.  

That net contraption concerns me.  There's a passenger deck several decks below and I can just imagine the carnage the first time someone drops their camera or their drink and it strikes someone's head after falling 8 stories.  

On 2/14/2019 at 8:25 AM, John&LaLa said:

FWIW, some people do care about the CD.  

Pretty active thread on CC about that. 🚢

They take that seriously lol 

On 2/14/2019 at 8:31 AM, Iamcruzin said:

In my 10 years of being a member of Cruise Critic I never quite understood the fascination that everyone has about the cruise director. I would think that Millennials  wouldn't even notice a cruise director unless he/she were an app.

LMAO!!! 

On 2/15/2019 at 4:34 AM, COCKYMARK said:

Cruise Director is not that big of a deal to us....but I cant believe no one has brought up Graham Seymour....he was excellent!

Wasn't Graham on Explorer in 2016?

On 2/15/2019 at 7:17 AM, Iamcruzin said:

My stomping days was the end of Disco and the birth of New Wave Punk Rock. I'm not interested in any of those theme nights. Been there done that in actual time. I did read something  about a prohibition theme where they recreate a Speakeasy. I would be interested in that. I may have grown up with Sex, Drugs and Rock and Roll but it was my grandparents generation that pioneered it. 

I could get behind a punk night! 

17 hours ago, eroller said:

On Royal Caribbean as well, in the early days, all the beds were in an L-shape and converted to sofas during the day.  This is nothing new.  The reason was because cabins were tiny.  Once the industry standard went to larger cabins that could accommodate a sofa, the convertible beds to sofas were no longer necessary.  And yes, a lot of work for the cabin stewards to make those up and and strike them down every day.  

As far as no buffet, trust me it's there ... just called something fancy.  Bottom line, it's still a buffet.  

Many of the things on Virgin Voyages are quite cool (especially adult-only), some are just silly and the line is trying almost too hard to be cool.  Included wifi, sodas, restaurants, and group fitness classes are great ... but of course you are paying for it upfront.  Per diems are quite a bit higher than the typical mass-market lines.  

After viewing Virgins site I think they are going to capture the market they set out to capture. No kids eliminates families and pricing will most likely keep the fixed income snowbirds away. 

Well I am from that seventies era and I am sick of seventies music. I have not been on Royal for seven years because I became tired of that same old music.however they used to have terrific show with headliners, saw The Temptations one time and every night was a treat. I wish they would bring back the headliners on the smaller ships.

On 2/15/2019 at 11:13 AM, The Fun Researcher said:

A bad cruise director really is forgettable, a good one makes you wish they were on every ship you board, because they really do add a fun vibe to the whole cruise.

Our best has been Joff Eaton and his partner in crime the activity director (forgot his name, shame on me).  They were a really fun team and set the tone for the whole cruise.  This was on the Indy back in 2014.

Looks like he's moved onto Good Morning Britain!  Much deserved.

https://twitter.com/joffeaton?lang=en

Dan

Joff is still with Royal, at least until March.

My first RC cruise is coming up and the CD seems to be less important than on Carnival. We had Rev. E on the Carnival Magic last cruise and he definitely had an impact on how much more fun the experience was vs. our cruise on Celebrity. 

On 2/14/2019 at 9:08 AM, rbschultz said:

If they want to capture the millenials they need a 90s night. 90s pop and hip-hop would bring out all the millenials (or at least would bring me out). 0 interest in 70s night and minimal interest in 80s night.

Me too. I would even be comfortable with my kids at a family dance party at 8 with this music