Drinks Package?

JamieLogical

3 minutes ago, resstation said:

They WANT you to post on social media, OFTEN. They have said it time and time again, at every meeting I have attended. 

Ah, a fellow member of the "Social At Sea" society. Where we meet to discuss the best WiFi reception on the ship, little known Gram locations and recite the Social At Sea pledge. "Social Media is our friend, not food."  🙂 

Just now, creativegenius said:

Ah, a fellow member of the "Social At Sea" society. Where we meet to discuss the best WiFi reception on the ship, little known Gram locations and recite the Social At Sea pledge. "Social Media is our friend, not food."  🙂 

Psst, IT worker here, I know all the best access points ... 

2 minutes ago, AlyssaJames said:

Psst, IT worker here, I know all the best access points ... 

You should NEVER admit that to a social junkie......  🙂  I have learned that the best place on any ship for WiFi is in the vicinity of the internet cafe. And usually the wine bar if they have one. Go figure. 🙂

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, AlyssaJames said:

...I do wonder if they're trying to avoid the heavy drinker crowds, or getting a Carnival-esque reputation. 

I agree that by offering a bar tab pre-load special in a dollar amount rather than just 15 drinks or unlimited will help to deter those crowds. Hope it works.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, allyfrizzle said:

The fact they aren't doing a drink package is B-A-N-A-N-A-S. I'm not paying bar prices on a cruise I'm already paying more for. Include package options (doesn't even have to be unlimited, but a la carte is crazy)

The fact that you doubt VV's marketing & promo tactics is N-U-T-S!

Given the positive feedback so far, and  strong booking pace, they'll NEVER have a need to offer a beverage package.  Offering reasonably priced drinks inclusive of gratuity is gonna be a hit! 

2 hours ago, allyfrizzle said:

I assure you that their marketing is aimed 100% at people like me. DINKs who love to dance, drink, eat, get tattoos, see live shows, etc. 

There's one point you miss:  VV is looking to attract those willing to pay for beverages a la carte.  Given that you aren't willing to buy alcohol a la carte, I can assure you that you are NOT someone VV would consider a valued guest.

1 hour ago, JamieLogical said:

Buy drink package: pay one flat fee up front before I cruise

Buy a la carte drinks: I pay for each individual drink

That's the difference between a package (for anything) and a la carte. I can buy a package up front, before I ever set sail, and not worry about individual costs of things while sailing. That is one of the main attractions of cruising for me. That is why I wish VV had a true drink package. So I could pay one cost up front and then just enjoy my vacation instead of stressing about budgets and the costs of individual things while cruising.

Jaime, it sounds like you should explore Crystal Cruises or Silversea Cruise Lines

Both offer one price that includes beverages.

VV is taking a much different tact.  And if it works, they'll never have a reason to offer a package.

6 minutes ago, rbt001 said:

There's one point you miss:  VV is looking to attract those willing to pay for beverages a la carte.  Given that you aren't willing to buy alcohol a la carte, I can assure you that you are NOT someone VV would consider a valued guest.

100% true, and they have said as much, verbatim. Also, they are not marketing only to couples without children. They want couples who need a break from their children 🙂. Average age of those already booked is 47 (a true 47, not like the other lines who average the children's ages). They have created a new category of cruiser as well - Rebellious Luxe, A Category of One. 

At our meeting we did hit upon a slight snag. An agency had booked a group of 80 yr olds who are VERY interested in cruising with Virgin, but EVERYTHING, and I do mean EVERYTHING will be done by smartphone. No documents to print, no flyers on your bed every night, no brochure racks. They only have flip phones. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

6 minutes ago, resstation said:

At our meeting we did hit upon a slight snag. An agency had booked a group of 80 yr olds who are VERY interested in cruising with Virgin, but EVERYTHING, and I do mean EVERYTHING will be done by smartphone. No documents to print, no flyers on your bed every night, no brochure racks. They only have flip phones. 

Will the group need their phones for Bingo and Trivia?

12 minutes ago, rbt001 said:

Will the group need their phones for Bingo and Trivia?

No word regarding Bingo or Trivia or any other "typical" cruise entertainment. There is no cruise director. There is a "Happenings Cast". When I say it is going to be a COMPLETELY different experience, I'm not kidding. COMPLETELY different. I will personally either love it or hate it, but I can tell you I am VERY excited to at least try it. We have had a 4 night in September booked since the very first day reservations were taken, no discounts, no agency special perks. Since then, I have been invited to the Miami Inaugural 2 day cruise in mid March, before she starts taking paying passengers. I will finally have the answers everyone keeps asking me about and an idea of WHO would be happiest on this ship. Believe me, I will report. 

• Like 5

6 minutes ago, resstation said:

When I say it is going to be a COMPLETELY different experience, I'm not kidding. COMPLETELY different. I will personally either love it or hate it, but I can tell you I am VERY excited to at least try it. 

Truer words have not been spoken in this forum. It is COMPLETELY different and if you don't want COMPLETELY different including a lack of drinks package, then there are dozens of other cruise lines to sail.  This will be our 8th cruise line and this will be the first one that is truly different and doesn't care how "it's been done before."  That's part of the appeal for us.  

August can't get here soon enough for us!  

• Like 2

The only people that should have a “budget”  issue without a drink package are those that drink 15+ drinks a day....   If you can afford the higher price point of the VV cruise itself, 10-15 drinks a day is right in line with their pricing...  They have already posted “reasonable” drink prices ($9 for a cocktail that includes gratuity is only about $7.50 per drink), so 10-15 drinks per day is $75 - $112.50 a day...   yes...  that could be 20-30% more than most other drink packages...  but so is the whole cruise price in general.   So basically, the only people VV is scaring away are those that need to drink more than 15 a day...  and I believe that’s perfectly fine with them

Edited by jnadz
  • Like 2

The $9 the website quotes for a basic cocktail is interesting, highlighting again this image I found elsewhere online, which implies a higher price point...

Unless there’s a basic level that sits below standard that’s just not on here?

6BEBB690-4864-4D19-94BF-0788AC4CC04E.jpeg

Edited by stitchcreek
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, stitchcreek said:

The $9 the website quotes for a basic cocktail is interesting, highlighting again this image I found elsewhere online, which implies a higher price point...

Unless there’s a basic level that sits below standard that’s just not on here?

6BEBB690-4864-4D19-94BF-0788AC4CC04E.jpeg

This is an older screenshot. They have since revised prices. 

16 hours ago, resstation said:

.................Since then, I have been invited to the Miami Inaugural 2 day cruise in mid March, before she starts taking paying passengers. I will finally have the answers everyone keeps asking me about and an idea of WHO would be happiest on this ship. Believe me, I will report. 

That is great for you......I shall actually be on the ship before you taking the 9 night transatlantic sailing before the ship arrives in New York.  So if anyone has any questions i will be happy to answer, them subject of course to permission to disclose such information from VV.

3 hours ago, stitchcreek said:

I saw spirits prices, but not cocktails?

Right now the website says:

Basic cocktail
Herradura Plata, Mount Gay, Tanqueray, Jack Daniels
$9 (Tip included)

Beer
Heineken, Amstel Light, Kalik, Narragansett 
$5-6 (Tip included)

Wine by the glass
42% of our wines by the glass are under $10 (Tip included)

https://www.virginvoyages.com/onboard/eat-and-drink

3 minutes ago, Mahogany said:

VV says you may bring onboard 2 bottles of wine. Does anyone know if you may bring one, open or unopened,  to a restaurant - and would there be a corkage fee. Or must you consume it in your stateroom.

I'm going to guess there will be a corkage fee as with all other cruise lines. I'll see if my friend is still onboard in Dover to ask that question.  

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/14/2019 at 3:40 PM, JamieLogical said:

I guess I thought I was their target demographic, but maybe I am way off the mark. I'm in my 30's, no children, disposable income, into more hipster/trendy/foodie kind of things... But all of the people I know, in my home town at least, that fit that same profile definitely appreciate alcohol, especially craft beer and interesting cocktails.

So buy them a la carte?  The pricing I have seen is like old style cruising where alcohol was cheaper than land based prices.  Every menu I have seen has alcohol for less money, and tip included, than any mid-range local restaurant or bar near me, let alone the higher end bars in my area with $18++ cocktails 

• Like 1

On 2/20/2020 at 2:41 PM, creativegenius said:

Best wifi?

I think it depends on how much you drink (or think you might drink). Two drinks a day on VV looks like it will be cheaper than the package price per day on other lines (and close to being cheaper than the gratuity on NCL's fake "free" drink package). If you drink more than two drinks per day  then it will probably cost you more on VV.