Odyssey Barbados to Lisbon

princess grills

HI

I am thinking of sailing from Barbados to Lisbon in April on the odyssey.

I have some questions about this cruise if you have sailed it previously.

What are the usual sailing conditions, rough, smooth etc? We have sailed the Northern Atlantic on The Queen Mary 2 but never the southern Atlantic or on a small ship.

What type of activities are there on board with 8 sea days?

Weather wise, always changable I know, is it sun bathing temperatures all the way across?

Any other insights that you may have would be greatly appreciated.

We took that cruise in 2018. Smooth sailing all the way. Warm enough for sun bathing except when there was no sun. And not cold even then. Plenty of activities on sea days: duplicate bridge, lectures, contests and games, dance lessons, painting classes, and the after dinner programs. We found there was more than enough to keep us busy between reading our books on the balcony to the sound of the waves, playing gin rummy in our suite and taking naps. Also, we spent a good deal of time in the Observation Lounge, visiting with folks while drinking pre-dinner cocktails. Had to rest up when we got home. 

• Like 1

We have a nice roll call on the Odyssey page.  I've done a similar crossing on Regent (not quite so far south, starting in Ft. lauderdale and starting a week earlier ) and we had some mildly rough seas.  I'm not a sunbather so I can't help with that but we did have nice weather.   It just depends on the crossing.  I would think this would be late enough in the year to avoid the N. Hemisphere winter storms.  If you decide to book, come join the roll call!

• 3 weeks later...

We have done multiple trans-Atlantic sailings on Seabourn going both ways.  For us we really enjoy them as it is all about relaxing and enjoying the ship and the passengers and crew.  Unlike on a port intensive cruise on a crossing you have a lot more opportunity to interact with your fellow passengers.  As noted above there are plenty of activities to occupy your time or you can choose, as we often do, to simply spend some time in the gym and then relax the rest of the day.  

As to the weather and seas it all depends on Mother Nature.  We once sailed on the Quest from Fort Lauderdale and the Atlantic truly was a pond, but once we got into the Med a front came thru and we had some rough seas.  So far we have been lucky and never had a rough crossing - fingers crossed for next years'...

• Like 1