Ovation Of The Seas

VK3DQ

Hi Folks

We were a little surprised about how good our cruise on the Ovation was , we were concerned about the size of the ship 

There were the normal crowds around the choke points , some attempts to reserve chairs  by chair hogs which the crew quickly dealt with

in all we rate the cruise at 9 out of  10 

Food was good and reasonable variety ,

The only single issue was some venues were rather too noisy mainly when 'Piped" music intruded in areas where no live entertainment was happening , the ship needed to dedicate a quite lounge for use by those who just wish for a nice chair and a relax   this could be an easy fix just turn it down a little

Staff were great 

This was cruise 2nd Feb to 14 Fed 2019   

We had a great time and would recommend Ovation to our friends

Please feel free to ask any questions

Regards

John   

P1080345.JPG

P1080392.JPG

Edited by VK3DQ
Add photos
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Thanks John - great that you enjoyed the cruise - well above and beyond your expectations.  Also good to know staff are dealing with the ‘chair hogs’ - it can be quite a contentious issue on many ships...

We loved Ovation when we sailed her a couple of summers ago - can’t wait for our next - onboard in 60 days!

17 hours ago, Chiliburn said:

Great post John.

what was the highlight of your cruise?

to be honest .. the general "WOW" of the ship and the GREAT crew we had..

Have cruised the Pacific / NZ  many times for me this time it was the ship 

Regards

John

1 hour ago, VK3DQ said:

to be honest .. the general "WOW" of the ship and the GREAT crew we had..

Have cruised the Pacific / NZ  many times for me this time it was the ship 

Regards

John

Yes the ship is the destination and the ports are a extra bonus.

I was talking to some people who were doing long all day shore excursions and each night they were to tired to go to the shows ,didn't make sense to me.

we usually get of for a few hours and back to the ship or even stay on the ship.

4 hours ago, Mr&MrsCookie said:

That's good to hear you were happy on Ovation.  My hubby really wants to go on her (he gave in this time and we are on Solstice instead)  but the reviews about overcrowding and queues for everything had put me off.

The overcrowding is there but you can manage it

6 hours ago, Sallyandtex said:

Hi John did u have any trouble with tenders or getting a seat for the shows?

As most of you here know I have issues with mobility and use a small scooter.

I had no issues with tenders , the crew were kindness itself  there were a number of seats in the shows reserved for disabled people which helps , also in the Windjammer

No we had no issues apart from the odd very rude passenger (Grin)

Regards

John

What a sight

P1080426.JPG

In American Icon Elsie and "Waterlilly"

P1080406.JPG

Me and My Wheels

P1080352.JPG

Edited by VK3DQ

7 hours ago, Mr&MrsCookie said:

That's good to hear you were happy on Ovation.  My hubby really wants to go on her (he gave in this time and we are on Solstice instead)  but the reviews about overcrowding and queues for everything had put me off.

Solstice is a very nice ship but I think Ovation has many more facilities

P1080370.JPG

16 hours ago, VK3DQ said:

As most of you here know I have issues with mobility and use a small scooter.

I had no issues with tenders , the crew were kindness itself  there were a number of seats in the shows reserved for disabled people which helps , also in the Windjammer

No we had no issues apart from the odd very rude passenger (Grin)

Regards

John

What a sight

P1080426.JPG

In American Icon Elsie and "Waterlilly"

P1080406.JPG

Me and My Wheels

P1080352.JPG

Thanks John,

I just thought with that many people the tender ticket process would be a nightmare!

Also, was there plenty of shade to relax in, recently on the Spirit we could not find anything free in the shade, always hogged 😈 first thing in the morning with bags left on seats. 

Also for trivia was there room for everyone to participate?

3 minutes ago, Sallyandtex said:

Thanks John,

I just thought with that many people the tender ticket process would be a nightmare!

Also, was there plenty of shade to relax in, recently on the Spirit we could not find anything free in the shade, always hogged 😈 first thing in the morning with bags left on seats. 

Also for trivia was there room for everyone to participate?

Bags left for more than 30 mins got removed there are signs everywhere telling people not to hog chairs some people try but if a seat is empty feel free to sit on it

tenders were VERY good no issues at all except one very rude lady that objected to waiting whilst wheelchairs loaded .. some shows were sell out ...but most events there was room for all, you just had to plan a little and not arrive 2 mins before the start and expect to find the best seat in the house (grin)

I dont like full sun and had no issues finding somewhere in the shade....   a good snooze in the library with an audio book did me a power of good

Regards

John 

5 minutes ago, VK3DQ said:

Thanks!

Bags left for more than 30 mins got removed there are signs everywhere telling people not to hog chairs some people try but if a seat is empty feel free to sit on it

tenders were VERY good no issues at all except one very rude lady that objected to waiting whilst wheelchairs loaded .. some shows were sell out ...but most events there was room for all, you just had to plan a little and not arrive 2 mins before the start and expect to find the best seat in the house (grin)

I dont like full sun and had no issues finding somewhere in the shade....   a good snooze in the library with an audio book did me a power of good

Regards

John 

53 minutes ago, MicCanberra said:

Great work, I really enjoy the Ovation and will cruise her again if the itinerary is right. The Solstice still remains my favourite though.

Same here although I found Ovation a little claustrophobic.

On 2/16/2019 at 9:42 PM, VK3DQ said:

Solstice is a very nice ship but I think Ovation has many more facilities

P1080370.JPG

The scooter?

is that yours or the ships?

I’m interested about someone having one, what are formalities of getting one on the ship.