Disembarkation in Southampton

DEL67

We are taking our first P&O cruise in April.  The Britannia is due to dock at 6 AM in Southampton.  I need to make a bus reservation so I would appreciate knowing approximately what time can we expect to be off the ship?

Thank you

Of you want to drag all of your luggage off the ship yourself, you can disembark about 7.30, otherwise you can go to reception and choose a time up to about 10.00 . If you are using an official bus transfer, they will organise it and tell you what time to disembark. You will receive advice about two days before your return.  It will take you about an hour and a half to queue to get off the ship, through luggage reclaim and customs and out of the terminal. 

Edited by swaddy

Be prepared to fight your way through the heaving masses trying to locate their luggage, which the porters will have done their best to hide in plain sight, or if you attach a brightly coloured ribbon to the handle they will endeavour to find a smaller case to put on top, making it even harder.

I always choose the latest possible disembarkation time (usual about 9.45-10.00) and the just wander leisurely off the ship to find that my luggage is standing all on its own in a large empty shed. I simply collect it and wander to the car park where, again, my car is the last and easy to locate. As the traffic jam has, by then, gone, it gives an easy drive back to the motorway. I find that a most relaxing way to end the holiday.

However, I do accept that it might not be an option for everyone - who maybe, has traveled by coach or public transport - or has a particular reason to be home early.

The other drawback is that by the time i get to the baggage reclaim, there has been ample opportunity for someone else to have taken my cases!!

Funny to see the negative comments, we have always had fantastic experiences disembarking at Southampton, especially from Britannia.

We tend to not rush, have a final breakfast in the mdr, then stroll down to our allocated area to await our call with a coffee and newspaper.

We are always off by ten and our luggage has always been exactly where it should be, probably because we avoid the rush.

Self disembarkation works for some, but with Britannias lifts being a nightmare, I don't fancy carrying our luggage down many flights of stairs.

The ships crew want you off ASAP, so you won't be much later than 10.

Have a great holiday,

Andy

10 minutes ago, Sir Cumference said:

I always choose the latest possible disembarkation time (usual about 9.45-10.00) and the just wander leisurely off the ship to find that my luggage is standing all on its own in a large empty shed. I simply collect it and wander to the car park where, again, my car is the last and easy to locate. As the traffic jam has, by then, gone, it gives an easy drive back to the motorway. I find that a most relaxing way to end the holiday.

However, I do accept that it might not be an option for everyone - who maybe, has traveled by coach or public transport - or has a particular reason to be home early.

The other drawback is that by the time i get to the baggage reclaim, there has been ample opportunity for someone else to have taken my cases!!

My sentiments exactly, make the most of your last moments on board and let others have the stress.

Andy

14 minutes ago, jeanlyon said:

funny innit!  I hate the ship on the last day.  Thousands of folk sitting around everywhere.  I want to get off at the earliest.  We go for b'fast at about 0745 and then off the ship by 0830.

I tend to agree with you Jean especially as it gets later and more deserted, very depressing.  Only problem I have is that with a wheelchair to push it's impossible to self disembark, and very difficult to cope with a trolley as well, which is what we had to do after our last cruise, when the Mayflower baggage hall proved its way too small for Ventura especially after a 28 night cruise and every porter was busy trying to find hidden luggage.

We self disembark also.  Leave straight after we have eaten breakfast no hanging around and usually its very quick.  With the cases on wheels its simple to do.  Only time we don't is when we take our grandchildren can't cope with children and suitcases so we usually use a porter then.

Any trouble finding taxis on disembarkation day?  I will be disembarking the Britannia in April, berth 46 Ocean Cruise Terminal, and will need to head to the airport.  Not a huge rush, fortunately, as I decided to go with the 2 pm flight instead of the earlier one.

23 minutes ago, comcox said:

Any trouble finding taxis on disembarkation day?  I will be disembarking the Britannia in April, berth 46 Ocean Cruise Terminal, and will need to head to the airport.  Not a huge rush, fortunately, as I decided to go with the 2 pm flight instead of the earlier one.

If you do want to get a taxi from quayside to airport, it depends on which airport you are talking about.  Southampton airport you could just queue up and tell the driver.  If you are thinking Heathrow or slightly nearer Gatwick you must think about pre-booking. This will give you a feasible fare.  The main operator used by many Southampton Hotels etc. is West Quay Cars.  They have a website and do pre-arranged airport runs etc. Other services are out there google Southampton taxis  but see their website:   westquay cars com

Regards John

Edited by john watson

2 minutes ago, john watson said:

If you do want to get a taxi from quayside to airport, it depends on which airport you are talking about.  Southampton airport you could just queue up and tell the driver.  If you are thinking Heathrow or slightly nearer Gatwick you must think about pre-booking. This will give you a feasible fare.  The main operator used by many Southampton Hotels etc. is West Quay Cars.  They have a website and do pre-arranged airport runs etc. Other services are out there but see their website:  https://www.westquaycars.com

Regards John

Thanks John.  I will be going to the Southampton Airport as I'm flying to Jersey from there to join a Saga tour.

Easiest disembarkation for you.  Cases out overnight.  Have an MDR breakfast with waiters.  P&O do two sittings on disembarkation day (see Horizon Newsheet for times) The sittings are about an hour apart with entry permitted for about fifteen minutes. Then they exclude newcomers until next sitting. This avoids the last day buffet bun fight. Wander back to cabin and obtain your hand bags.  Cabin vacating requirement is 8am but you can get away with your hand bags neatly in a wardrobe.  If you can do stairs with hand luggage its ideal as lifts choke up with people and cases. Go to your advised assembly for disembarkation place and wait for instructions to walk off.  When you walk off as you get to ground floor look out for guys with sack barrows.  Ask one if he's free and he will go to the Luggage reclaim hall.  Bags are set out either by deck or colour group so find your pile.  Point out your cases and he puts them on his barrow.  Once he has them all tell him "Taxi RanK" and he will wheel them through customs immigration out the building locate the taxi rank and unload them there. Tip him about £3-£5.  Then tell taxi driver "Southampton Airport".

Regards John 

1 hour ago, comcox said:

In my experience, there are always plenty of taxis. P&O also offer the facility  to prebook a taxi via the ship's reception once you know what your disembarkation time is. However the one time I did that (on my very first cruise) I never managed to find my taxi, so had to use one from the rank anyway.

23 hours ago, john watson said:

Easiest disembarkation for you.  Cases out overnight.  Have an MDR breakfast with waiters.  P&O do two sittings on disembarkation day (see Horizon Newsheet for times) The sittings are about an hour apart with entry permitted for about fifteen minutes. Then they exclude newcomers until next sitting. This avoids the last day buffet bun fight. Wander back to cabin and obtain your hand bags.  Cabin vacating requirement is 8am but you can get away with your hand bags neatly in a wardrobe.  If you can do stairs with hand luggage its ideal as lifts choke up with people and cases. Go to your advised assembly for disembarkation place and wait for instructions to walk off.  When you walk off as you get to ground floor look out for guys with sack barrows.  Ask one if he's free and he will go to the Luggage reclaim hall.  Bags are set out either by deck or colour group so find your pile.  Point out your cases and he puts them on his barrow.  Once he has them all tell him "Taxi RanK" and he will wheel them through customs immigration out the building locate the taxi rank and unload them there. Tip him about £3-£5.  Then tell taxi driver "Southampton Airport".

Regards John 

Sounds like a great idea.  Thanks John.