First time to Amber Cove - Advice?

Iseaster

We are looking forward to our first cruise in March and will be visiting Amber Cove.  Reading through your many posts have been great but we're wondering - are there any MUST SEE excursions for first-timers?  We're more for the cuisine/culture/history vs. lying on the beach or swim with dolphin types.  Any suggestions would be GREAT!

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Hello!

Last year on the Magic we did the Damajagua 12 waterfall tour with MarySol tour.  Had a great time.  It is adventurous since it's jumping off and sliding down the rocks.  Depending on your time in port, this could also be DIY opportunity with a taxi to experience all 27 waterfalls.

Going again this year on an extended family cruise on the Breeze.  Looking at Iguana Mama's Best of Puerto Plata City Tour hat is also called "Eat Drink and Be Merry" tour.  It includes a cable car ride up to the top of a mountain, visiting and tasting rum at Ron Macorix Rum House, lunch at a courtyard cafe and a visit to a cigar factory.  I read a post on this forum who went on this tour and had a good time.  Rum and local food sounds great to me!

Another vote for the 27 Waterfalls tour. It was one of the best excursions I have done in 30+ years of cruising. We used Marysol Tours and would recommend them. I would not book this through the ship since they generally do less of the falls, have larger groups and are more expensive.

I would use Marysol's as well, we did their City tour and cable car run.  Reasonably priced, great guide. 

The only thing to be aware of is that Carnival owns the port itself and you have to walk a decent distance through and outside the port area for independent tours as they do not let them in.  Plan for some extra time to meet.

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/12/2019 at 9:59 AM, JT1962 said:

Another vote for the 27 Waterfalls tour. It was one of the best excursions I have done in 30+ years of cruising. We used Marysol Tours and would recommend them. I would not book this through the ship since they generally do less of the falls, have larger groups and are more expensive.

On 3/13/2019 at 5:30 PM, Loonbeam said:

I would use Marysol's as well, we did their City tour and cable car run.  Reasonably priced, great guide. 

The only thing to be aware of is that Carnival owns the port itself and you have to walk a decent distance through and outside the port area for independent tours as they do not let them in.  Plan for some extra time to meet.

I only saw where Marysol's offered the 12 falls, but for a great price and including lunch. Did I miss something?

22 hours ago, Atlantamom3 said:

I only saw where Marysol's offered the 12 falls, but for a great price and including lunch. Did I miss something?

They may only offer 12 now due to time limits or the water levels. I don’t remember if we did all 27 or not, but it was a lot of fun. I believe the ship excursion only does 6 and is more expensive.

Based on our experience, they have a base offering that they customize depending on time in port..  Some ships are there later and longer than others.  I would contact them and see what options they have, its entirely possible all 27 may not fit in some ship's time windows...