Ultimate Balcony Dinner with .pdf menu

voljeep

Looking for a printable UBD menu and description of what all is included (knowing that changes

are happening, photo, flowers, etc.)

thinking about our Cozumel port day/night where we are in port until 9:00 and other ships in port

that day leave by 6:30 (scheduled) ... so try to schedule around 6-7 pm

we've never done it ... and got a decent cat BE balcony - aft - on the CB

pre-book available ? ( special service item #3011 ) or contact room service / service desk ?

We’ve greatly enjoyed the UBD several times during sailaway & in port which has resulted in better conditions than at sea.  Once when sailing from Santorini in early December we moved it inside due to inclement weather & still enjoyed it looking through the glass balcony door.  Enjoyed each UBD in various balcony sizes from Royal-Class 9’x4’ to Caribe 9’x9’ on other Princess ships.

My experiences are they can have two UBDs per night at the same time...about 6:00 & 8:00 and they have some flexibility with those times.  Room service supervisors have told me it’s rare to sell all four UBDs each evening.  We’ve never had a problem booking our preferred time onboard so we can use OBC to pay for it.

I’ve read more posts saying that nothing has changed with the included benefits (cocktail, flowers, photo, half bottle of champagne which each time we’ve exchanged for a similar priced full bottle of red wine).

Here are images XBGuy previously posted of their UBD menu & if you’re unaware they can make some changes when the RS supervisor either meets or calls you.

D50E7684-3D04-4139-AF83-EE65E2EA4E31.jpeg

0CC94A3B-1EE8-4344-B00E-E4D7EAFCEAE4.jpeg

Edited by Astro Flyer
  • Thanks 1

We signed up on board and could choose any time that the dining room was open. I think that I called shortly after boarding and got my choice of dining times on the second formal night. You can alter the menu to your liking. I ordered 2 lobster tails (disappointingly small), should have ordered 4. Room service supervisor was our waiter and the service was top-notch. served in courses, not one big food dump. 3 or 4 photo poses, dessert chocolates were down right tasty, enjoyed them the next day.

Well worth $100. The food, service and amenities provided with the UBD are well worth it.

• Thanks 1

I don't recall how much time was involved as it revolves around how fast you want your service. I think the the HW showed up a little early with a table and everything he needed to set up your dining area. He also had an assistant waiter. They will call for your food when you are ready. And in case you are wondering, no, they don't hang out in your room while you eat, your staff is waiting outside your door receiving your next course that they have called back to the galley to have delivered to your room. They check on your needs and then retreat to just outside your door. You can work out your personal details (cocktail order, timing etc.) when you get your confirmation call from room service.

As far as tipping goes, I tipped the HW $20 (he did most of the work) and his assistant $10. I know that's a little high, but the service was impeccable and we had OBC to cover the bill.

Edited by EDDY0827

2 hours ago, voljeep said:

Thanks, much appreciated - pretty sure we are going to try to book the 6-6:30 time slot

How long did it take from table set-up to table removal?

What about a tip for the waiter - $ 20 ?

You can go as fast as you want. Usually 2 waiters. 1 a runner and 1 serves. They will wait in the passageway between courses or they will stay and talk if you want. We have had a great time with our UBD staff. Many enjoy the convo.

$20 is good.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Colo Cruiser said:

You can go as fast as you want. Usually 2 waiters. 1 a runner and 1 serves. They will wait in the passageway between courses or they will stay and talk if you want. We have had a great time with our UBD staff. Many enjoy the convo.

$20 is good.

2 hours ago, Colo Cruiser said:

It is a must do at least once IMO.

We like to have the UBD whenever we have a balcony...it’s not much more expensive than a specialty restaurant dinner & includes nearly $100 of extras.  Like the Winemakers Dinner on Royal-Class ships for $40/pp in their Wine Cellar the service & food are superb.  Although maybe we should keep both of them a secret to not have too much competition for having them. ☺️

I’ve also had some great conversations with the staff who seem to be more relaxed by having more time to socialize.  I don’t want to take up too much of their time but they seem happy to talk about their lives which I enjoy learning about.

The only problem for us is by the time the great dessert is delivered we’re so full that sometimes we’ll store it in the fridge for the next day. 😉

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

21 hours ago, EDDY0827 said:

We signed up on board and could choose any time that the dining room was open. I think that I called shortly after boarding and got my choice of dining times on the second formal night. You can alter the menu to your liking. I ordered 2 lobster tails (disappointingly small), should have ordered 4. Room service supervisor was our waiter and the service was top-notch. served in courses, not one big food dump. 3 or 4 photo poses, dessert chocolates were down right tasty, enjoyed them the next day.

Well worth $100. The food, service and amenities provided with the UBD are well worth it.

We received nice sized lobster tails according. Sounds like this varies based on where they stock. Our cruise left out of LA.

For those thinking of doing this, it was one of the top 5 meals we have had on a cruise. I have already prepaid for one in San Francisco this Spring on our Royal Coastal.

We added or blue tooth speaker to the table for some nice music to go with the dinner along with some additional wine from our own stock. As Astro Flyer pointed out, we did ours in port. Did Honolulu with a view of Diamond Head at sunset. Our menu was just slightly different, but surf and turf was on it.

As for pics, they used our SLR and phones to take several at different times during the meal. The picture they take is included. Head waiter stays out in the hall and comes back at intervals to check on you. He is dedicated to only your meal only. Table was set up with flowers and those stayed in the room afterwards.

The first time we did this was on a formal night.  My wife and I decided that we would wear our formal clothes.  When the server saw us all dressed up, she was completely blown away.  She was so tickled that we made the evening a little more special.  She, certainly, made it special for us.

Since we bring a stash of our own wine on board, I like to open up a special bottle.  Yes, we drink the 1/2-bottle of Champagne and we drink the glasses of wine that we order as our "cocktail."  I do make a deal with the servers, though.  I get them to agree that if the bridge calls down ordering me to come up and relieve the helmsman, they will swear that I have been drinking nothing but coffee, all night.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

UPDATE

was able to pre-book ( had to pre-pay, but that's OK as is refundable up to 72 hours prior to cruise ... not sure about cancelling once on-board )

could book date, but not time - guess that's onboard ... will call Princess to find out ...  yeah, I know...

Onboard Reservations

Culinary Delights

UBD - $ 100

On 2/17/2019 at 10:05 AM, Wildcatllamas said:

My late husband and I did the UBD both times we cruised on Princess. We loved it. I had been thinking about doing it on my upcoming cruise on the Royal as a memory of our time together but then think it would be silly to do it as just one person.

I don't think it's silly, at all.  It will, of course, be quite emotional. but it would allow you to enjoy wonderful memories of your husband.

Have a great cruise.