! LIVE! from Adventure of the Seas, February 16, 2019 - 8 nights

ckrobyn

47 minutes ago, cruiseguy1016 said:

We'll be flying out of FLL after our cruise in 2 weeks. Can you please tell me how it's different? We're considering using it.

I assume you are also disembarking from POM or PE? If so, I'd call RCI and get the low down on parameters of using LV. It's the best $25/person you'll spend on your cruise, IMO. 

Edited by Johnamac123

Hi everyone! I’m home and almost fully unpacked!

Thanks for the heads up and concern over the weather in Ontario, I can tell you I have never been so happy when a plane landed in my entire life! The turbulence were pretty horrible and terrifying for the last 30 minutes of the flight. Apparently the wind was gusting up to 150mph!!!! 😳😳 Anyways, I’m home safe and sound. I can feel my tan fading..

I did not have the option to use luggage valet because it’s not available with the airline I flew with (WestJet- based in Canada). Disembarkation was easy. Thinking we weren’t flying until 9pm tonight, we didn’t disembark until 9:45am, and when we did we just walked off without waiting anywhere. There were plenty of cabs waiting and it was a $20 fare to FLL.

I am happy to be reunited with my family 😁

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, Bronx12 said:

Robyn,

What time were you able to disembark? We have a flight at 10:15am and plan on doing self disembark.

Thanks,

Rhonda

They were calling the first people off carrying their own luggage at 7:15AM.

21 minutes ago, ckrobyn said:

Thanks for the heads up and concern over the weather in Ontario, I can tell you I have never been so happy when a plane landed in my entire life! The turbulence were pretty horrible and terrifying for the last 30 minutes of the flight. Apparently the wind was gusting up to 150mph!!!! 😳😳 Anyways, I’m home safe and sound. I can feel my tan fading..

I did not have the option to use luggage valet because it’s not available with the airline I flew with (WestJet- based in Canada). Disembarkation was easy. Thinking we weren’t flying until 9pm tonight, we didn’t disembark until 9:45am, and when we did we just walked off without waiting anywhere. There were plenty of cabs waiting and it was a $20 fare to FLL.

The Jet-stream was jetting a lot today. 

jetstream.jpg

4 hours ago, cruiseguy1016 said:

So, your bags didn't need to be with you when you went through customs?

No, you leave your bags out the night before and they go straight to the airport for the next morning. You don't see them again until your final destination. If your disembarking from Port Everglades and your flight is out of FLL, the flight departure needs to be between 11:30 am and 11:59 pm. Southwest has an 11:30 am - 6:00 pm restriction but the 6:00pm isn't a hard number. We've applied for a 6:20 pm flight and it was accepted.If your flight is out of MIA, usually the departure needs to be between 2:00 pm and 11:59 pm. Unless something has changed the flights need to be domestic flights.

We'll be flying out of FLL after our cruise in 2 weeks. Can you please tell me how it's different? We're considering using it.

You posted your past experience(post #792) several years ago was from San Juan not Fort Lauderdale. That's the difference and what I  was commenting on. RC no longer does luggage valet from SJ. The luggage valet program is offered at Miami, Fort Lauderdale, Port Canaveral and Seattle. 

Edited by davekathy

So, your bags didn't need to be with you when you went through customs?

No you are not required to pick up your luggage and go through customs with your luggage when you are doing the luggage valet. It won't even be in the terminal for you to pick up. You place it out the last night of your cruise and pick it up at your final destination. 

Edited by davekathy

1 hour ago, ckrobyn said:

I don't know how much you fly for work, but prior to my retirement it seemed like I was on an airline every other week. That feeling of going thru rough air is the worst. No one gets use to it.  It's such a feeling of helplessness, at least for me. Why not, you're flying thru the sky at 40,000 feet going 500 mph+ in a tin can. 

Anyway, it's good to hear you're back home in safe arms looking forward to work tomorrow. Until you are cruising again. 

16 minutes ago, Johnamac123 said:

I don't know how much you fly for work, but prior to my retirement it seemed like I was on an airline every other week. That feeling of going thru rough air is the worst. No one gets use to it.  It's such a feeling of helplessness, at least for me. Why not, you're flying thru the sky at 40,000 feet going 500 mph+ in a tin can. 

Anyway, it's good to hear you're back home in safe arms looking forward to work tomorrow. Until you are cruising again. 

Thanks, happy to be here.

Hard to accurately describe how I felt on the plane today. I knew going in that the flight was going to be rough.... it’s different when turbulence takes you by surprise as you don’t have time to fret.

Our tiny female pilot did an excellent job manoeuvring the plane - she was about 5’2 and 110lbs soaking wet. Girl Power 👍🏻

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, Ocean Boy said:

You just have to trust Boeing that those wings are not going to snap off.😯😉

Glad I didn’t have internet today at 37,000 ft and couldn’t see this comment!!!! OMG.

Edited by ckrobyn

35 minutes ago, ckrobyn said:

Thanks - sitting on my couch, under a blanket, watching the Oscars 😀

It’s bad down hear near London.  Could only have imagined your flight home. Thankfully you got home earlier.  Just think you’d be landing about now had you not switched your flight. 

We have had really bad turbulence on two occasions. One flight to Alaska to where the plane’s wings looked to be flapping, like the planes on The Flintstones. We dropped at one point on that flight.  The other was a flight to Paris. The turbulence lasted over an hour and was really bad. My SIL isn’t a good flier and I told her this; you don’t have to worry until the stewards/stewardess sit down and strap in. That gave her some comfort. 

Look forward to your final thoughts and wrap up.