July -Aug Cruise - Must have clothing/essentials

amisup

Coming from NJ. How is the average weather in Alaska during end of July- Aug ? 

What are some of the must have essential items - clothing, shoes. Our group spans 70 yr to 8 yr old.  Wondering if u need to stock up on the winter sales on east coast ? 

We went the last week of August last year and had beautiful weather, though I think that isn't necessarily the norm lol. I would highly recommend a lightweight waterproof jacket, because you can wear it alone over a tshirt if the weather is warm, or make it your top layer over fleece or sweaters if it's cold. Comfortable shoes, that have already been broken in prior to your cruise is a must. I bought hiking boots, and wore them the whole previous winter before going, but once we got to Alaska and were literally walking miles every day, they rubbed all the skin off the top of my toes, so I ended up wearing my tennis shoes the rest of the trip, which was fine. Thicker socks might have fixed the problem. I did have a pair of rain pants but only used them once, on our whale watch in Juneau when it poured, but they were definitely good to have handy. I never put on gloves, and only wore a toboggan on the day the ship was at Hubbard Glacier, but again, you want to have these things just in case.

amisup:  Through the years folks have posted their packing lists on this forum.  If you use the search function you should be able to find them.  Also, skimming through the trip reports (posted at the top of this page and organized by year) will be very helpful as a number of posters include photos -- just look at what they are wearing.  But in general, go with layers and a water-proof (not water resistant) outer layer.

• Like 1

Its a total toss-up.  Can be t-shirts & shorts some days in ports down to cold/rainy/windy on a glacier day.  Definitely layers.  A thick winter coat is probably too warm and won't give you options.  My list:

- t-shirts

- 1 full zip long sleeve fleece

- 1 lightweight hooded waterproof rain jacket (I think good options can be found  > $50)

- jeans / regular pants (and 1 shorts/capris)

- lightweight package rain pants for glacier day and/or if have lengthy outdoor excursion on rainy day; they also help keep you warm if windy ($30 type are fine as may not even be worn)

- regular socks

- possibly 1 pair wool socks (for glacier day & outdoor excursions if cold/wet day; can wash in sink; too warm for typical days though)

- water resistant low hiking type shoes (like Merrell, that you have broken in; true hiking boots are overkill for most unless actually going hiking, and heavy & bulky, but having wet feet is miserable, so I think this and a rain jacket are two areas to consider spending a bit of money if you don't have them, and can reuse too; some folks just say to spray waterproofing on existing sneakers; an added bonus of good shoes is added traction when wet, and a bit more warmth)

- 1 hat/earmuffs

- 1 pair thin gloves

- water resistant ish backpack (for excursions & glacier day, for your extra layers, water, snacks, etc; or can put a disposable rain poncho over it, but that is a pain)