Deposit Refund- Help!

Asking for my mom...

She booked a  cruise for January 2020 a few weeks ago (Mariner). $200, non refundable deposit..My step dad just found out work wise there is zero way they can cruise that date (and its because of promotions, so it isn't like he can argue it at work). Of course my mom is super upset, having saved up alot to take this cruise to begin with. Has anyone ever had luck getting their deposit back. They are picking a sailing 2 weeks later, and were even willing to use the $200 towards an upgrade so it didn't go to waste. She is so so so upset! Any ideas? 

Also, I know she could have booked a refundable deposit, but at the end of the day, for the money it costs...she'd still only be ahead $50 or so.... so not worth the lecture on that one 😉 

Per RCL's NDN T&C:

CHANGES FOR NDN BOOKINGS1: For Guests who make a NDN Booking, changes made during the first

thirty (30) days after the debarkation day of the cruise during which the NDN Booking was made shall not be subject to

a Change Fee; changes made to the ship or sail date after that 30 day period has expired shall be subject to a Change

Fee (currently $100 per person but subject to adjustment without notice); in either case, the deposit shall remain

nonrefundable.

If she was still within that 30 day window when she re-booked the later cruise, there would be no change fee.

12 minutes ago, orville99 said:

Per RCL's NDN T&C:

CHANGES FOR NDN BOOKINGS1: For Guests who make a NDN Booking, changes made during the first

thirty (30) days after the debarkation day of the cruise during which the NDN Booking was made shall not be subject to

a Change Fee; changes made to the ship or sail date after that 30 day period has expired shall be subject to a Change

Fee (currently $100 per person but subject to adjustment without notice); in either case, the deposit shall remain

nonrefundable.

If she was still within that 30 day window when she re-booked the later cruise, there would be no change fee.

that option exists only if she booked it while onboard another cruise.

4 minutes ago, barbiecruiser27 said:

What is a NDN? 

That's the version of the non-refundable Terms you would get if you booked a cruise at the non-refundable price while on board. I probably should have been a bit clearer in my post to say that if RCL is giving me 30 days to change my booking of a specific cruise at the Non-refundable rate on board without penalty, there is a logical argument you can make that they should be giving your mother the same 30 day grace period for booking directly with RCL.

3 minutes ago, stevea36 said:

that option exists only if she booked it while onboard another cruise.

True, but that creates two separate sets of rules for essentially identical transactions. I book NDR on board and get 30 days - I book NDR the day I get back home and I don't. Typical consistent inconsistency by RCL, but it does raise logical grounds for negotiation by the OP.

Unfortunately no.  However, if she changes to another sailing and date, it's not that terrible in that she loses $100 per person instead of the entire deposit.  It's better than losing the whole deposit.

Edited by slyster

5 hours ago, orville99 said:

True, but that creates two separate sets of rules for essentially identical transactions. I book NDR on board and get 30 days - I book NDR the day I get back home and I don't. Typical consistent inconsistency by RCL, but it does raise logical grounds for negotiation by the OP.

Not really. If you book onboard, you also get OBC which you wouldn’t if you booked the day after you get home. Whole different set of rules. 

57 minutes ago, slyster said:

Unfortunately no.  However, if she changes to another sailing and date, it's not that terrible in that she loses $100 per person instead of the entire deposit.  It's better than losing the whole deposit.

Since the OP said it was a “$200, non refundable deposit”, $100 per person would be the same, would it not?

43 minutes ago, blackshirt said:

Since the OP said it was a “$200, non refundable deposit”, $100 per person would be the same, would it not?

Ahhhh after reading it again, yes that’s right. I was thinking $250 each ($500) not a total of $200. 

Unfortunately I doubt she will have any luck with getting her non-refundable deposit back.  

January 2020 is still about a year away.  I'm a little surprised that if your dad just got a promotion he can't figure something out over the next eleven months.  Must be the four night cruise over the week compared to a 3 nighter over the weekend.

Lesson learned about refundable vs. NRDB but it sounds like you know that.  

Edited by twangster

I'm just amazed that she made the choice to book non-refundable, and is still wanting to get it refunded.  

Why?  Why is she so much more special than anyone else?

If she had booked a flight, she would be charged a change-fee to switch the dates of the flight.  My son booked a flight to come home from the Army for the holidays, and then two days later they changed the time he would be released, so he had to pay a change fee AND purchase a higher-cost flight.  That was just for a soldier to see his family over the holidays -- someone who is voluntarily putting his life on the line to defend his country and its citizens.  

If soldiers have to pay change fees, why shouldn't vacationers be expected to pay them, too???

20 hours ago, barbiecruiser27 said:

She is so so so upset! Any ideas? 

Also, I know she could have booked a refundable deposit, but at the end of the day, for the money it costs...she'd still only be ahead $50 or so.... so not worth the lecture on that one 😉 

If that´s the case, it can´t be such a big deal she has to be "so so so upset" About.

• Like 3

On 2/15/2019 at 10:29 AM, orville99 said:

No, it is a benefit to help you to decide to book on board.

Like the additional OBC.