Jump to content
Cruise Critic Community
Roce48

Smoking areas on NCL Sky reduced. :-(

Recommended Posts

I am sure that this post will draw many non-smokers. It is meant only as info for smokers, not as a invitation for anti-smoking responses. The only areas to smoke on the Sky are now the Deck 12 uncovered Champs Bar, and the Casino when it is open for business. They no longer allow smoking on Port side on Deck 6.

 

I do find it interesting that Disney Cruise Line offers more smoking areas than the NCL Sky. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Do you have a copy of the dailies that lists the approved smoking areas?

 

Another CC member has put together a spreadsheet that lists the approved smoking areas for NCL ships.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Roce48 said:

I am sure that this post will draw many non-smokers. It is meant only as info for smokers, not as a invitation for anti-smoking responses. The only areas to smoke on the Sky are now the Deck 12 uncovered Champs Bar, and the Casino when it is open for business. They no longer allow smoking on Port side on Deck 6.

 

I do find it interesting that Disney Cruise Line offers more smoking areas than the NCL Sky. 

Nothing on the pool deck either. Agree about disney too except no casino.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It seems to me this thread and its information would be importants to both camps, where either group might care to go for different reasons. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks for the heads up. No cruises on the Sky for us.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

What else can you tell us about the other upgrades? I am considering a quick cruise soon.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Obviously, the smoking areas on ships are getting less and less. It's only a matter of time before there is no smoking on cruises as is on land in public areas. 

I remember when the law passed that bars & restaurants could no longer allow smoking and everyone thought they would go out of business. Somehow, the smokers made it work, they still go out to eat and go to bars.

 

I know there are many smokers that now go to only all inclusive but I've always been curious if smokers would give up cruising altogether because the lines no longer allowed it?

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
54 minutes ago, tonit964 said:

I know there are many smokers that now go to only all inclusive but I've always been curious if smokers would give up cruising altogether because the lines no longer allowed it?

 

Probably, yeah. 

 

I mean, when you’re taking away the ability to even just go outside to have one for days at a time, that’s not a relaxing vacation for a smoker. That’s detox. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Generally speaking there are fewer and fewer smokers, especially in the US population (dropped by a 3rd since 2005). Less space for smoking is reflective of this changing demographic, especially on a small ship like the Sky.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, tonit964 said:

Obviously, the smoking areas on ships are getting less and less. It's only a matter of time before there is no smoking on cruises as is on land in public areas. 

I remember when the law passed that bars & restaurants could no longer allow smoking and everyone thought they would go out of business. Somehow, the smokers made it work, they still go out to eat and go to bars.

 

I know there are many smokers that now go to only all inclusive but I've always been curious if smokers would give up cruising altogether because the lines no longer allowed it?

 

 

Plenty of places went out of business and yes I would give up sailing if I could not smoke, just as I do not frequent bar/restaurants without outdoor seating or land casinos with smoking bans.

 

Edited by Casino Comp Chick

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, tonit964 said:

Obviously, the smoking areas on ships are getting less and less. It's only a matter of time before there is no smoking on cruises as is on land in public areas. 

I remember when the law passed that bars & restaurants could no longer allow smoking and everyone thought they would go out of business. Somehow, the smokers made it work, they still go out to eat and go to bars.

 

I know there are many smokers that now go to only all inclusive but I've always been curious if smokers would give up cruising altogether because the lines no longer allowed it?

 

Yes I would. Part of being on vacation means relaxing with a drink and a smoke. My husband also enjoys a after dinner cigar and will not smoke it in that little room. We also have started to go to all inclusive resorts and find them to be very happy to see us and our money. They can't get you an ashtray fast enough!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Casino Comp Chick said:

 

Plenty of places went out of business and yes I would give up sailing if I could not smoke, just as I do not frequent bar/restaurants without outdoor seating or land casinos with smoking bans.

 

Agreed, we have never been in any NY casino except Turning stone many years ago. If we can't smoke we won't go and spend our money. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I have a smoking related question. What happens to the ships when they travel to Europe or Asia. They smoke like crazy there. I’m sure the smoking rules have to be different when they are in Europe or Asia. Also, I am a member of the American Legion and a lot of the American Legions  and even the VFWs have gone to no Smoking. Mine has not and we are a very popular post because we allow smoking. I am not a smoker but my friends are and they are very mindful of not smoking in your face kind of thing. So I feel bad about this ban.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Looking for confirmation on designated smoking areas on the Sky to update my spreadsheet. Could you post information here: 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

As a non-smoker, I think folks should have a few places for them to smoke, even though personally I would love it if the ship was non-smoking.  On the Breakaway the have this walled in area at the pool that is great, with the exception that they don't have a door on it and some smoker would stand outside of it smelling up the area around it.  If they put a door on it, it would have been perfect.  Also in the casino there was some non-smoking places, but unfortunately smokers would sit there because they like that machine and the crew did nothing about it.  If smokers want their areas, they shouldn't be smoking in non-smoking areas.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, NLH Arizona said:

.  If smokers want their areas, they shouldn't be smoking in non-smoking areas.

 

I agree 100% with this......I also 1000% agree that a non smoker should not come into the smoking section and whine about smoking/smokers. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Doh!  I just booked the Sun and I assume this applies there too.   Ugh - I thought the Sun and Sky were the only two that still let smokers smoke on half the ship outside.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/15/2019 at 10:41 AM, Roce48 said:

I am sure that this post will draw many non-smokers. It is meant only as info for smokers, not as a invitation for anti-smoking responses. The only areas to smoke on the Sky are now the Deck 12 uncovered Champs Bar, and the Casino when it is open for business. They no longer allow smoking on Port side on Deck 6.

 

I do find it interesting that Disney Cruise Line offers more smoking areas than the NCL Sky. 

 

And soon there will be none. Yippy

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Its so frustrating.  I don't smoke.  But my boyfriend does and I totally get it.  They should have an area in a central spot on the ship. (They did on the Getaway in October) The Bliss was a nightmare for smokers.  They threw private parties in Spice H20 and kept trying to  kick the smokers out giving them no where.  I felt bad for the  private events because they paid a ton of money and were dressed to the 9s and we were looking like garbage.  But that's NCLs fault.  we weren't leaving.  It also is not right that cigarette smokers can't smoke in the Cigar  area, but cigar smokers  can smoke in the cigarette area.  On the  Bliss smoking a quick cigarette became a 40 minute ordeal.  it was extremely frustrating.  Especially when we would be perfectly happy if he could vape on our balcony

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, FranknBeans said:

 

And soon there will be none. Yippy

Never forget that when they get rid of us they will go after a different group(ie, the obese, save money at the buffet,the elderly, they aren't riding the go carts or playing laser tag) or whoever the feel like. so yippy all you want till its you.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
32 minutes ago, Oceangal711 said:

Never forget that when they get rid of us they will go after a different group(ie, the obese, save money at the buffet,the elderly, they aren't riding the go carts or playing laser tag) or whoever the feel like. so yippy all you want till its you.

 

A couple of things...

 

They aren't getting rid of people. It is the activity (smoking) that is the issue. A smoker can go wherever a non-smoker can go on the ship. The smoker just can't smoke in the non-smoking areas. 

 

Also, an obese person cannot simply become non-obese in an instant. An elderly person cannot simply become non-elderly in an instant. A smoker can (temporarily) become a non-smoker in an instant. 

 

With regard to Disney, I wonder if the smoking ban at Disney Parks  in the US will eventually spread to the (Bahamas registry) cruise ships...

Edited by Two Wheels Only

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, Two Wheels Only said:

 

A couple of things...

 

They aren't getting rid of people. It is the activity (smoking) that is the issue. A smoker can go wherever a non-smoker can go on the ship. The smoker just can't smoke in the non-smoking areas. 

 

Also, an obese person cannot simply become non-obese in an instant. An elderly person cannot simply become non-elderly in an instant. A smoker can (temporarily) become a non-smoker in an instant. 

 

With regards to Disney, I wonder if the smoking ban at Disney Parks  in the US will eventually spread to the (Bahamas registry) cruise ships...

A smoker enjoys smoking so becoming a non smoker for a cruise is neither fun or relaxing.  Last January on the Escape while the ship was fueling it was totally non smoking. Image if they didn't serve drinks while refueling people would riot.  They are certainly putting the squeeze on smokers.

As far as Disney we just gave our Vacation club points to the group home  here. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I go on 6/7 cruises a year. As a smoker - there is no way I would go on a cruise if I couldn't smoke. In fact with the reduction of comfortable smoking areas, I'm considering cutting back on cruising. I know a couple of people who stopped cruising altogether when they banned smoking on balconies.                   

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Forum Jump
    • Categories
      • Forum Assistance
      • Q&A: Cruise Insurance w/ Steve Dasseos of the TripInsuranceStore.com June 2020
      • New Cruisers
      • Cruise Lines “A – O”
      • Cruise Lines “P – Z”
      • River Cruising
      • ROLL CALLS
      • Digital Photography & Cruise Technology
      • Member Cruise Reviews
      • Special Interest Cruising
      • Cruise Discussion Topics
      • UK Cruising
      • Australia & New Zealand Cruisers
      • North American Homeports
      • Ports of Call
      • Cruise Conversations

Announcements

×
×
  • Create New...