Viking Jupiter crash

Gigiandbaba

Just read this:

Norwegian cruiser “Viking Jupiter” crash at Piraeus pier on its maiden journey. Just read this on a Viking site:

Three fenders were detached from the crash impact. Small material damage of a length of 15 meters was caused at the pier.

The “Viking Jupiter” was accompanied by three tugboats.

The Central Port Authority of Piraeus issued a sailing ban for the cruiser until a class confirmation by the technical company where it is registered has been submitted, Greek media report.

The 1st Port Department investigates the incident.

It is not known what will happen with the passengers.

Viking took delivery of its sixth ocean vessel February 7 at Fincantieri’s shipyard in Ancona, Italy. Viking Jupiter began its maiden season in mid February offering Antiquities itinerary between Athens and Rome.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Wow, not a good week for Viking. First the Star and now this. Next sailing starts Feb 16--tomorrow--and that means that some people have already arrived and others are in the air. No comments on any of the roll calls. 

Journey To Antiquities/Iconic Western Mediterranean, 16 February to 2 March, 2019

Viking Jupiter Feb 16, 2019

•  

Viking Jupiter Feb 16 Med Antiquities

Edited by Peregrina651
  • Thanks 1

Wow, not a good week for Viking. First the Star and now this. Next sailing starts Feb 16--tomorrow--and that means that some people have already arrived and others are in the air. No comments on any of the roll calls. 

Journey To Antiquities/Iconic Western Mediterranean, 16 February to 2 March, 2019

Viking Jupiter Feb 16, 2019

•  

Viking Jupiter Feb 16 Med Antiquities

I'm really surprised the Roll Calls have been completely silent. Not just about the incident, but there's been almost zero conversation about the cruise itself, which being a maiden voyage makes it even more surprising.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

16 minutes ago, GSP-parents said:

Cruise trackers now show Viking Jupiter making 13 knots from Piraeus to next port of Heraklion, as per its schedule.  Apparently damage to ship not affecting schedule.  Nerves can stand down.

Excellent!🍸

3 hours ago, just_dont said:

I'm really surprised the Roll Calls have been completely silent. Not just about the incident, but there's been almost zero conversation about the cruise itself, which being a maiden voyage makes it even more surprising.

I didn't even find a roll call for the maiden voyage and three rolls for Feb 16 makes it difficult to have a conversation. I went there hoping to find some conversation because normally, it's the place to go. 

Glad that in the end it is not as awful as it could have been. 

On the ship now.  Was completely unaware of this as it happened before we arrived yesterday.  Haven’t heard a word about it and see no reason to spread it.  Everything has been quite splendid and the ship is beautiful.  Meet and mingle is at 6pm tomorrow in the Wintergarden!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, darlu said:

On the ship now.  Was completely unaware of this as it happened before we arrived yesterday.  Haven’t heard a word about it and see no reason to spread it.  Everything has been quite splendid and the ship is beautiful.  Meet and mingle is at 6pm tomorrow in the Wintergarden!

Sometimes it is difficult to sit at home and make sense of all the bits and pieces that we hear about an incident like this.  Happy to learn that your early experience is good (as ours have been), and wishing you a very pleasant voyage.

• Like 1

I didn't even find a roll call for the maiden voyage and three rolls for Feb 16 makes it difficult to have a conversation. I went there hoping to find some conversation because normally, it's the place to go. 

Glad that in the end it is not as awful as it could have been. 
Pretty sure Feb 16 is first official cruise. Prior sailing departed from the shipyard where she was built, and the reports indicated 600-something pax. Probably exec's, VIPs and travel industry folks.
I know Feb 16 is the first one that had been advertised on Viking's site.
But even considering all 3 roll calls, very few pre-cruise posts or discussions.

Glad all's well with the ship, and looking forward to hearing reviews.

• Thanks 1

19 minutes ago, rjsretired said:

How do I start a roll call for June 16 on the Viking Sky ...Into the Midnight Sun?

Select the Viking Ocean Roll Calls - https://boards.cruisecritic.com/forum/768-viking-ocean-roll-calls/

Select Viking Sky and check is a Roll Call has already been started. If not, select Start New Topic and name the thread with departure date and cruise name.

So we’ve done many other cruises and trips but just a single Viking river previously (Bordeaux) which sold us on this first Viking Ocean.  Crete today.  Honestly we would skip the included tour in the future because the museum tour was not our speed.  Our first meet and mingle was great tonight.  24 signed up but I would say only about 8 or so showed.  So enjoyed hanging with the captain and his wife and the cruise director and the other forum members.  Enjoyed some post dinner time with other cruise critic friends.  Just switched out of included tour for Olympia into another tour tomorrow.  This brand new ship is quite beautiful and the staff is quite anxious to please.

• Like 1

Glad all is well.  I heard over the weekend that a very large (6000 passenger) ship - the Norwegian Epic - rammed the pier at San Juan. It had been having engine troubles (power failure) so it rerouted to San Juan. As it was coming into dock it was hit by a strong gust of wind. For sure, wind and docking can be a bad mixture. When we were on the Sky last year (Jan 2018), we skipped two ports because of wind and sea conditions. Reading what can and does happen, I’m glad our captain exercised such caution. 

Affirmative, the Epic was making an unscheduled call, as she suffered the loss of 1 or 2 engines, while at sea. The cruise line canceled all ports, so she made the unscheduled call at San Juan. She contacted and sank at least 2 docking structures.

The docking was filmed by a pax on an adjacent cruise ship.

On 2/18/2019 at 12:57 PM, rjsretired said:

How do I start a roll call for June 16 on the Viking Sky ...Into the Midnight Sun?

We are on a June 16th sailing Into the Midnight Sun but it’s on 

Jupiter, not the Sky.  Are there two?  We’re leaving from Bergen

37 minutes ago, MS52 said:

We are on a June 16th sailing Into the Midnight Sun but it’s on 

Jupiter, not the Sky.  Are there two?  We’re leaving from Bergen

My mistake in typing.  I was thinking of two different cruises and got them mixed up.  I had trouple finding into the midnight sun on the Jupiter on June 16th.  It did not seem to be on the regular roll calls.  Hope to meet you on the ship.  We are looking for bridge players on the sea days.