Tips to avoid the crowds on Harmony

mondas42

We are going on the Harmony Of The Seas this July. First time ever on a Oasis class ship (and the first time ever to the States). I’m not good with crowds (yes I know we have picked the busiest time of the year but out daughter is doing her collage exams in June and so we can’t go any other time.) so I looking for tips to avoid the inevitable crowds. We have already bought the ‘Key’ so embarkation day lunch and diembarkation day breakfast is sorted. We also have a 3 night dinning package booked. I’m also watching the cruise planner for the release of the entertainment so I can book these ASAP. What other tips are there to avoid crowds and lines. Not too bothered about sitting by the pools so the solarium is a plan but any others? Places to eat breakfast and lunch? 

32 minutes ago, mondas42 said:

We are going on the Harmony Of The Seas this July. First time ever on a Oasis class ship (and the first time ever to the States). I’m not good with crowds (yes I know we have picked the busiest time of the year but out daughter is doing her collage exams in June and so we can’t go any other time.) so I looking for tips to avoid the inevitable crowds. We have already bought the ‘Key’ so embarkation day lunch and diembarkation day breakfast is sorted. We also have a 3 night dinning package booked. I’m also watching the cruise planner for the release of the entertainment so I can book these ASAP. What other tips are there to avoid crowds and lines. Not too bothered about sitting by the pools so the solarium is a plan but any others? Places to eat breakfast and lunch? 

Our family and friends have all enjoyed the Solarium Bistro and in our opinion think it’s the best place to eat breakfast both indoor and outdoor seating.

• Thanks 1

It's going to busy at muster but it's over shortly and crowds disperse.  Being near the theater when a show lets out will be busy for a while but crowds disperse.  Avoid the 2 for $20 t-shirt sales in the promenade.  Parades in the Promenade will be busy.

Honestly though most of the times the crowds are well dispersed on Oasis class.  With seven distinct neighborhoods people tend to spread out.  Most of the time crowds aren't an issue unless you are nearby when an event ends and even then after 15 minutes it's back to normal.  

The past 2 1/2 years I been on the Oasis 4 times, Harmony 1 time (booked on her for this October) and been on the Allure also.  We NEVER felt crowded at all with the exception on embarkation, the 80's dance party on the promenade for a couple hours one evening and the one day two hour sale in the shops.

The Oasis class ships are well laid out and there are many areas for the flow of people to go, so you generally don't get those "traffic jams".  We had alot of traffic flow on the NCL mega ships, never again, but we don't have this on the Oasis class.  

Places for breakfast- MDR, windjammer buffet, Solarium Cafe, Wipe Out Cafe, Parc Cafe, Johnny Rockets

Places for lunch- MDR on sea days, windjammer Cafe, Solarium Cafe, Wipe Out Cafe, Parc Cafe, Johnny Rockets small fee, Sabor for fee, Vintages for fee

Lets not forget the Cafe Promenade has things to eat also, Sorrento's Pizza too.

2 hours ago, mondas42 said:

We just got off her two weeks ago. You'll be pretty safe if you avoid the Windjammer at peak times. We're at seven Oasis Class sailings to date and other than the previous advice I would suggested the forward elevators over the aft. The aft elevators get pretty busy especially around dinner time.

On 2/15/2019 at 4:50 PM, mondas42 said:

Weve been on 6 cruises on oasis class ships and honestly there hardly ever is a large crowd. The key is just another way for royal to make a ton of more money and is 100% not needed. There is no busiest time of year on oasis class. Every ship is sold out year round. Or very close to it.

• 3 months later...
On 2/15/2019 at 7:32 PM, Big_G said:

We just got off her two weeks ago. You'll be pretty safe if you avoid the Windjammer at peak times. We're at seven Oasis Class sailings to date and other than the previous advice I would suggested the forward elevators over the aft. The aft elevators get pretty busy especially around dinner time.

I've heard many refer to "peak times" and was wondering what that was (specifically for windjammer). We typically eat early breakfast before 8 maybe even before 7. Lunch after 11 before noon, and dinner at 5:30. Considering all the early slots for dinner seem to go fast, I'm wondering if that is peak time at sea, or would we be ahead of peak time like on land? 

17 minutes ago, basictek said:

I've heard many refer to "peak times" and was wondering what that was (specifically for windjammer). We typically eat early breakfast before 8 maybe even before 7. Lunch after 11 before noon, and dinner at 5:30. Considering all the early slots for dinner seem to go fast, I'm wondering if that is peak time at sea, or would we be ahead of peak time like on land? 

The WJ will not be be crowded at those times. 

• Like 1

I was just checking the cruise planner for our July 7 cruise.  I was going to rent a beach lounger for two at Coco Cay and on line reservations were not available and said please check on board.  Yikes,   quite a few other things at Coco Cay were not available, so I checked some of the other ports excursions and a few of them were not available too!

I am assuming this Harmony cruise is going to a hot mess of people and kids!  

I had an hunch it would be that way, "school's out for summer" and so it goes😳

On ‎2‎/‎17‎/‎2019 at 7:47 PM, gatour said:

Central Park is a nice way to get away from the crowds

Agreed - we are amazed when we walk though the area in the evening and might not see another  guest.    There are many  areas that don't seem crowded to me, but unlike the OP, I ma not sensitive to crowds.   

OP - if crowds are a problem, arrive at port after 12 noon when the rush has already boarded.  I see you have Key - but the port area will be crowded prior to 11 AM, and folks rush  the boarding gate,  even the other key passengers.  After muster, hang back about 10 minutes till the crowds disperse, same with leaving  the shows.  On Oasis class, several  entertainment venues  all lead out to a small area.  It is very crowed!  Do not try the windjammer  from 12-1:30 as it will be packed.  Plan on seated dinner and just  wait a few minutes after the dinner time to enter the dining room.  Many of the passengers are crowding the dining room entrance waiting for it to open.    MTD often has  a crowded line, you may want to avoid.   The top areas of the solarium, do  not  seem to be as  crowded as the bottom section, same with the pools.    We had breakfast one day in small bites ( or something like that) and it was not crowded. 

Booking the shows early won't have any impact on the crowd as most of the venues will eventually  be full.   And the time of year is not a huge factor, because the ships   sail full year round.  There may be more kids ( more 3/4 occupancy)  in the summer sailings.   As for the debarkation, recently on Harmony, they held   up debarkation several times ( we were on B2B and heard the announcements) because it as too crowded in  the customs area.   Unless  Key debarkation takes you to a dedicated customs line, or you secure a porter, you  might want to give up the key breakfast and do self walk off  EARLY to get to the  customs areas before a bottleneck occurs.   

If you have a problem with crowds, the size of the ship really is not an issue as all ships sail full.  A smaller ship has  fewer people and less space so the crowds  often feel the same.   All ships have a busy buffet, theater  etc. 

Good luck, I hope it works out for you.  I see you are from the UK.  How will  you handle flying? 

M

Currently on Oasis and I would avoid  the Windjammer at breakfast, lunch and dinner or go very early or very late.  It is horrendous. I don't know if it is this particular itinerary (Western Med) or perhaps there are an unusual amount of hungry passengers onboard but omg it's like no Windjammer I have ever experienced.  Officers cleaning tables, queues back to the lifts on both sides just waiting in line because they had to stop people going in. The knock on effect was a big confused crowd of angry passengers around the lift lobby area. Once allowed inside we saw some passengers refusing to be seated at the tables they had been taken to because the carpet underneath is covered in food (quite right in my opinion, it was disgusting). The waiter walked off when they politely asked her to clean it.  No knives and forks.  Main dining room for breakfast is no better either.  There are literally queues for food everywhere on this sailing. I think we will try the Solarium Bistro tomorrow.  After that it's room service.

The ship is spacious enough not to feel crowded in the public areas but the food areas seem squished and too small to accommodate the huge number of passengers. The Windjammer seems quite small compared to other ships - but maybe that's just me. 

The Solarium is a nice place of calm.

And also my balcony where I am currently sat, all alone - total bliss.

PS sorry for any typos I'm on my mobile.

Been on Oasis twice and Allure once, all in the Summer.  Almost never felt crowded anywhere on the ship.

livylotte, sorry to hear about your Windjammer experience.  I've never seen it like that on any of my 9-10 cruises and we actually eat dinner there most nights if we're not with family.  It's crowded during breakfast but not like what you described.

If you haven't, try Wipeout Cafe or the Solarium for breakfast.  Wipeout Cafe has made to order omelets (unless that's changed) and Solarium has most of what the WJ does, it's just smaller and quieter.