Nexus cards in San Diego

Jareds_mommytoo

Probably not since you probably won't have your cards by March.  We have SENTRI cards, which are basically the same as NEXUS only for the Mexican border rather than Canadian.  We asked for Global Entry approval when we applied for SENTRI, it's no cost if you do it when you apply for SENTRI.  It took me three months to get my SENTRI card.  According to the CBP www site the NEXUS card is only for air, land, and sea ports of entry on the northern borders coming to/from Canada.  However, it also is vague and says "expedited processing at seaports."     It's not clear on what that means.  Plus, Port of San Diego might not have expedited lanes for NEXUS or GE.   In any event, makes sure to ask for Global Entry when you apply for your NEXUS.    

Wow, that's quick.  I guess they have more applicants for SENTRI.  It took three weeks just to get my approval to schedule my interview.  Then after the interview and fingerprinting it was another two months to get my card.  Did they allow you to add Global Entry for no cost?  We have used GE coming back from Hong Kong into SFO and it was fantastic.  

15 minutes ago, riffatsea said:

I don't think Nexus cards have any value for cruising out of San Diego or any other USA port. Most ports don't even have kiosks or separate lines for Global Entry!

Can't speak to San Diego, but last we time we went through Port Everglades, there very much was a dedicated line for NEXUS card holders. No kiosks or electronic terminals, but when you show the card to a terminal employee, they shunt you into a special line for NEXUS card holders. Usually means a shorter wait for a Customs agent.

Hmm? We just got off a cruise in Fort Lauderdale in December and there was a line for Global Entry (which I have) there but I didn't notice a sign that said Nexus too.

It is one of the very few ports that have any special lines for those programs.

Maybe Miami also has them but not the other USA ports and certainly not San Diego(yet).

We didn't get a GE card when we got our SENTRI passes.  They just link the GE to your passport.  I assume they are doing the same with NEXUS also.  But you have to request it at the time of application to get it for free, otherwise you can ask later and pay a small fee.  I was told they use to give separate GE cards but no longer they just link it to your passport number.  

Assuming you get it in time OP, you could use it as your ID - since it's a cruise you can use NEXUS to cross the border by sea just fine - but I haven't heard of any expedited processing at San Diego, just Vancouver and the Florida ports mentioned above already.

So can you use it? Yes. Will it save you any time? Probably not at the port, unless they've added a Global Entry lane. But if you are flying even domestically you can get into the short security line as NEXUS includes all GE as well as all TSA Precheck benefits. Also glad to hear your processing was so fast, as mine is up for renewal this summer!

I've just posted on the HAL board. 

What is your proposed itinerary?

Nexus cards must be accompanied by either a Birth Certificate or Passport.  You will be denied boarding if Nexus is your only proof of citizenship.

Mexico does not recognize Nexus cards.

David

Edited by DAllenTCY

Mexico doesn't recognize SENTRI passes either.  SENTRI  is only for coming back into the USA from Mexico via a few land borders and you still have to show your passport.  SENTRI not worth diddle squat otherwise.  Global Entry on the other hand is being slowly recognized for expedited entry into some foreign countries; along with your passport.  Not sure about NEXUS, but SENTRI isn't proof of citizenship for either US or Mexico.  In fact Mexican citizens can apply for and get a SENTRI pass.    

Only reason we got SENTRI passes is to expedite the crossing from Mexico to USA via land border crossings.  It's about 10 minutes vs 2 hours.  The free add on for Global Entry was a nice perk.  Along with the TSA pre-check since ours expire in May we won't be renewing out TSA pre-check, just using the SENTRI number.   

• 3 weeks later...

the value of the Nexus card is it is honored the same as Global Entry.  Also you should have the airlines list your Nexus number as the Trusted Traveler number and that almost always gives you TSA precheck at any airport. 

9 hours ago, Dan G said:

the value of the Nexus card is it is honored the same as Global Entry.  Also you should have the airlines list your Nexus number as the Trusted Traveler number and that almost always gives you TSA precheck at any airport. 

Not exactly correct.  You have be enrolled in both separately.  Just because you got NEXUS doesn't mean you automatically got Global Entry.  You have to ask for it at the time of NEXUS application/interview (free) or ask for it later (small charge).  When we did our SENTRI interviews we asked for GE also.  It was then loaded to our passport data.  They did issue GE cards but the data is now linked to your passport so we didn't get a separate GE card.  Plus you don't need your NEXUS or SENTRI card to access the GE lanes (if any).  Just insert passport if there's a kiosk.   

TSA pre-check is separate also.  But, TSA will use the CBP issued NEXUS and SENTRI Trusted Traveler number.  Our TSA pre-check will expire next month so I'm in the process of making sure all my FF accounts reflect my SENTRI number.