Do they swap ships after reservations are open?

OSUcruiser

Just now, OSUcruiser said:

We are looking to cruise Carnival out of San Juan, but really do not want the "Ation" class ships.  Do they ever swap ships after reservations are open?  

Thanks!

They did a ship swap after we booked the Sunshine out of NOLA in 2014. They swapped Sunshine for Dream. We were offered various options for switching our booking or staying in NOLA with Dream. 

5 minutes ago, OSUcruiser said:

We are looking to cruise Carnival out of San Juan, but really do not want the "Ation" class ships.  Do they ever swap ships after reservations are open?  

Thanks!

So rarely it isn't something you should even think about.

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, OSUcruiser said:

Thanks!

What is an "Ation" class ship?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Unless something happens to the Fascination like it breaks down and out of service for a long time they might but otherwise that’s the ship based out of San Juan.

But I highly expect Carnival to start pushing ships around as we get closer to Mardi Gras debut next year, other cruise lines have been pushing bigger ships in San Juan, Norwegian Epic, Freedom of the Seas, etc so I’m surprised Carnival has yet to swap out the Fascination with a newer ship after having bigger ships there years ago only, time and supply/demand will tell.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, OSUcruiser said:

Thanks!

I’ll happily try the Fascination in September with the positive trade-off being in port 5 days & at sea 1 day.  And the bonus to me is that none of the 5 are small private islands.  Most 7 day cruises are 3-4 port days with 1 being a glorified atoll.

• Like 3

I would have booked that cruise for next summer (2020) but I won’t spend 7 days on a Fantasy class ship. My limit is 3-4 days on those. There is nothing wrong with them, just not my preference for 7+ days. 

I booked a 9 day on the Legend out of NYC instead that hits 3 of the S Caribbean ports and has 4 sea days. 

• Like 1

Just got back a few weeks ago on the Fascination.  I like the fantasy class ships for the most part for cheap 5-day cruises.  

However, since I've done this route on Liberty and Valor, I felt that Fascination was a bit of a let down.

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, audcc77 said:

Just got back a few weeks ago on the Fascination. 

I like the fantasy class ships for the most part for cheap 5-day cruises.  

However, since I've done this route on Liberty and Valor,

I felt that Fascination was a bit of a let down.

Like you, I've done the Southern Caribbean loop

on Liberty and Valor - and Victory

and feel hard to spend $$$$ on a Fascination cruise

- although I hear it's not so bad after all!

Those of us on the Southern Carib. loop are stuck with Fascination

until April 2021!! so yew better get used to it.

Fascination-830.JPG

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Aplmac said:

- although I hear it's not so bad after all!

Well, it’s a PIA to get all the way to down to SJ, and I don’t see myself doing it again for a ship that’s “not so bad”.   That’s a lot of $$$ to spend to get there.  I don’t think I was awake when I booked this last one. 😊

• Like 1

We will be cruising on the Fascination out of San Juan in June. When we look for a cruise, we make a selection based on itinerary. I'm not excited about the ship and I've turned down sailing out of San Juan because the airfare before was always high. For some reason, we found a direct flight on American Airlines that is very reasonable. We really want to to visit the many islands the cruise goes to. 

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, mvaughn11 said:

We will be cruising on the Fascination out of San Juan in June. When we look for a cruise, we make a selection based on itinerary. I'm not excited about the ship and I've turned down sailing out of San Juan because the airfare before was always high. For some reason, we found a direct flight on American Airlines that is very reasonable. We really want to to visit the many islands the cruise goes to. 

It’s a good itinerary and as you found, often available for a good price. Only you can decide if the ship is acceptable for your needs. I always worry that going in with a sense that you’re not gonna like it will set you up to meet that expectation. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, bakersdozen12 said:

Actually, this class is referred to as the Fantasy class. I have no idea where you are getting the term “Ation” from. 

No kidding! Getting the nickname from the OP that referred to these ships as 'ation'.

As in InspirATION SensATION ImaginATION FascinATION

Get it?

• Haha 1

On 2/16/2019 at 10:20 AM, OSUcruiser said:

Thanks!

Don't blame you. We ended up going on Royal out of SJ because we didn't like the ship choice.

• Like 1

Some day we will do this itinerary, but I think we will wait for a different ship.   We sailed Sensation as a brand new ship in 1994.  I know with this many ports you aren't on the ship as much,  but still think it will be too big of a step backwards.  We don't mind a smaller ship, it is more the age.

Thanks! 

13 hours ago, KmomChicago said:

RC has a better ship out of PR than Carnival, but. . . it's often dirt cheap and a pretty good itinerary.   However, I would never recommend somebody goes on Fantasy class if it's going to be a bad experience for them.  

The Freedom of the Seas in Royals ship in SJ now. It's a great ship. I'd take it over a Fantasy class ship any day.

1 hour ago, Palmetto Pilot said:

The Freedom of the Seas in Royals ship in SJ now. It's a great ship. I'd take it over a Fantasy class ship any day.

I second this!!!  Freedom of the Seas is a great ship!!  I would choose this one over the Fascination any day of the week!!