Jump to content
Cruise Critic Community
ctnurse

Hotel and Restaurant recommendations in Civitavecchia Pre-cruise

Recommended Posts

We are planning to fly in the day before and head right to Civitavecchia since we have been to Rome before.  I am looking for a hotel close to the terminal  and a  restaurant for dinner the night before our cruise leaves.  Thanks 

Edited by ctnurse

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I can't help with any positive recommendations (not a big fan of Civitavecchia), but I would advise you to read the link here with recent discussion regarding the Hotel San Giorgio (and avoid them):

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, cruisemom42 said:

I can't help with any positive recommendations (not a big fan of Civitavecchia), but I would advise you to read the link here with recent discussion regarding the Hotel San Giorgio (and avoid them):

 

 

I almost booked this hotel, but decided to check  the reviews on TA, and after reading  the reviews I decided against it.   Hopefully, someone can point me in the right direction.  🙂

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I have booked this hotel also, but then read the reviews so I am quite worried about their "overbooked" issue.  Would appreciate any other recommendations for 2 night pre-cruise stay in Civitavecchia.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

We stayed in a town a few miles away (we had rented a car from FCO) and drove to the hotel and then dropped the car the next day in Civitavecchia before our cruise

 

It was the Hotel Villa Delle Palme in Santa Marinella.  Right on the water, we had a beautiful view and balcony.  They have a wonderful restaurant on property, and they were wonderful.  Just a thought if you don't mind being a town over.  Really about 15 minutes away, and you could take the train, as there is a stop there.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/16/2019 at 12:52 PM, ctnurse said:

We are planning to fly in the day before and head right to Civitavecchia since we have been to Rome before.  I am looking for a hotel close to the terminal  and a  restaurant for dinner the night before our cruise leaves.  Thanks 

Ahoy ctnurse 

We stayed at Hotel Traghetto in Civitavecchia .   The entrance to the port is a few minutes walk from the hotel.  Once you walk through the gates, you will be directly to a large greyhound like bus (free) that will take you to the ship.   The oven brick oven Pizza place is next door.  All the locals say its the best pizza in town.  They weigh the oblong sized pizza.  

Hotel Traghetto can arranged pick up from the airport with a private car at your cost.  

You can also walk down the street for some outdoor cafes and shops..

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
On 2/22/2019 at 4:22 PM, MCazer said:

We stayed in a town a few miles away (we had rented a car from FCO) and drove to the hotel and then dropped the car the next day in Civitavecchia before our cruise

 

It was the Hotel Villa Delle Palme in Santa Marinella.  Right on the water, we had a beautiful view and balcony.  They have a wonderful restaurant on property, and they were wonderful.  Just a thought if you don't mind being a town over.  Really about 15 minutes away, and you could take the train, as there is a stop there.

 
 

 

That sounds like a lovely option.  I share Cruise Mom's feelings about Civitavecchia.  In fact I would stay in Rome to enjoy a stroll in the city in the evening free from the day trippers. 

Edited by ollienbertsmum

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 3/21/2019 at 5:56 PM, Parrotheadtoo said:

Ahoy ctnurse 

We stayed at Hotel Traghetto in Civitavecchia .   The entrance to the port is a few minutes walk from the hotel.  Once you walk through the gates, you will be directly to a large greyhound like bus (free) that will take you to the ship.   The oven brick oven Pizza place is next door.  All the locals say its the best pizza in town.  They weigh the oblong sized pizza.  

Hotel Traghetto can arranged pick up from the airport with a private car at your cost.  

You can also walk down the street for some outdoor cafes and shops..

 

 

I also stayed at the hotel traghetto and it’s the worst hotel (actually tied with one in London) we’ve ever stayed in on our 7 trips to Europe. It’s convenient but it’s a 1 or 2 star hotel at best. The feeling was mutual for our group of 10.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

I suggest you read reviews on Trip Advisor to form an opinion of Hotel Traghetto (and other hotels in Civitavecchia). The person above seems to have an axe to grind with Traghetto. We've stayed there 3 or 4 times and have booked to stay again. It's a very basic hotel, serving a basic breakfast. But it's VERY convenient for the port and it's very reasonably priced. It's a family run business and the people are extremely friendly and helpful. After our first stay they remembered our name and subsequently haven't charged us the town tax as they say we're part of the family. Don't expect bells and whistles and luxury, you get what you pay for. 

 

We have also stayed at the Hotel de La Ville - dreadful hotel - and at the Traiano which is a little way out of the town (about 20 minutes walk up a hill from the station - and taxis are not easy to come by in Civitavecchia). However, if you were planning to travel from the airport directly to the hotel this would not be an issue and The Traiano has a complementary shuttle bus to the port. Nice hotel and they recommended a very good restaurant just 10 minutes walk away

Edited by Bobal

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

Last October we stayed in the Hotel Porto di Roma. We waited until late to book our stay in Civi we thought we had very few options, so we booked this hotel for 64 Euro per night. How bad could it be??? 

We were absolutely delighted with the hotel, the room, and the friendly service we received. Our rate offered free breakfast, and when I contacted them to see if they could accommodate us early( 10:30 AM) as we had an overnight flight, and  they were only too happy to do so. There is scant parking on the block, so the Hotelier ran out with 2 employees and emptied our taxi of our 4 bags, portable scooter and walker  in no time flat. I was able to store all the luggage and mobility aids without having to bring them up to the room and they carried my hand luggage up one flight of stairs.

We arrived about 9 and they welcomed us to enjoy breakfast while waiting for our room. So that was 2 breakfasts and an overnight stay, with outstanding service, a totally modern bathroom and a comfortable bed, for 70 USD. They were able to call us a taxi to go out for our Cruise Critic dinner, and called one to take us to the port the next day.

I recommend them highly.

Edited by Knolmom
Sp

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Forum Jump
    • Categories
      • 2019 Cruisers' Choice Awards
      • Forum Assistance
      • New Cruisers
      • Cruise Lines “A – O”
      • Cruise Lines “P – Z”
      • River Cruising
      • ROLL CALLS
      • Digital Photography & Cruise Technology
      • Member Cruise Reviews
      • Special Interest Cruising
      • Cruise Discussion Topics
      • UK Cruising
      • Australia & New Zealand Cruisers
      • North American Homeports
      • Ports of Call
      • Cruise Conversations
×
×
  • Create New...