boarding Liberty in Galveston

arkking

Much like any cruise port.  Pull up, hand luggage to porters, follow signs inside, go through security and look for Emerald queue.  Check in and head upstairs to board.  Feb 2018 was a breeze.  Going again in April.  Looking at more in the fall.  

Before security it's a general line.  I wasn't in a suite so I didn't notice if Suites/Pinnacle had their own security queue or not.  

Once past security is where different lines were established based on C&A levels.   I was Diamond then so I went into the Diamond queue.  I think on that occasion D+ was grouped with Suites and Pinnacle because I remember 5-10 people in that queue but no one in the Diamond/Emerald/Platinum queue.  

The check in counter had two sides and I think the largest queue on the back side was for new and/or gold.  Didn't really pay attention.  I was there early (10:03am arrival) and there were few lines anywhere.  I imagine it was busier during the peak 11am-1pm.

• 3 weeks later...

In Dec 2018, first line as you enter the building is for X-ray.  One line for Gold and below.  Other line is Platinum and above.  Don't know if that higher line splits up just prior to X-ray machine or not since I wasn't in it.  The check-in portion for picture and card has many categories but I showed up early so maybe 10 out of 30 stations had people checking-in so no wait.  Once done, you go upstairs escalator and split into 2 sitting area:  Gold and below, Platinum and above.  You're also given a boarding card.   I recall the Platinum and above getting called in one group.  Then they called Gold.  I had Gold 1 and left immediately so didn't notice how things went afterwards.

In July 2018, we got to the final sitting area just as they called general boarding and it was a big mess.  However, as people with Platinum or above arrived, they were allowed to cut in line closer to the front.

We were there in July 2018.  After dropping the bags and going inside, there were RCL people that check your papers and direct you to the standard long line or the shorter Suites and Status line for the security screening.  The Suite line was basically close to empty at around 10am when we arrived and the other line had only about 40 people in the line.  Once you clear security and you get to the check in area there is a Suite/Status line as well (maybe there is another line for higher status people too?).  It was shorter, but there were only 2 people working the check-in.  The longer line had lots of checkin people so it seemed like a bit of a toss up as to which was moving more efficiently.  Once we got upstairs they seated people separately depending on the same criteria but when they opened the doors it was a bit of a free for all.  I guess you can't really stop hundreds of people just moving toward the entrance no matter how loud the lady yelled.  

Construction was completed in 2017 I believe. Much larger terminal and check in area now. Suites and Pinnacles have their own dedicated line. The last few times there, we found the check in very quick and embarkation orderly. 

Edited by 39august

Everybody else pretty much covered the nitty-gritty details so I'll just add my 2 cents:

Sailed Nov 2018, got there around 11:00 am. Long line of cars  making a left into the port so I drove past, made a u-turn and came from the opposite side to make a right into port.  Basically had to wait behind 5 cars making a right vs 100 cars making a left.

Luggage and family drop off was the usual chaos but quick - maybe 10-15 minutes. Once the car was parked, I met my family back at the terminal around 11:30 and was on the ship a bit after noon......just in time for the bars to open.  Couldn't have timed it more perfect. 👍

17 hours ago, voyager70 said:

Boarded Liberty last Sunday.  We arrived at the port around noon.  There were no separate security lines (we're D+) but got through security and D+ check in line in about 10 minutes.  

Strange, we boarded three Sundays ago and there were definitely separate lines before security and both were long. However, check-in wasn’t too bad.

Disembarkation was a complete disaster, just when we thought things were improving at Galveston on previous recent sailings. We arrived home 3 hours later than normal and this had nothing to do with fog. A lot of worried people who were trying to catch flights. No explanation given for delays, just the usual lack of coordination between the officials in the port area after baggage claim.

4 minutes ago, c-leg5 said:

Strange, we boarded three Sundays ago and there were definitely separate lines before security and both were long. However, check-in wasn’t too bad.

Disembarkation was a complete disaster, just when we thought things were improving at Galveston on previous recent sailings. We arrived home 3 hours later than normal and this had nothing to do with fog. A lot of worried people who were trying to catch flights. No explanation given for delays, just the usual lack of coordination between the officials in the port area after baggage claim.

Maybe there were separate security lines and I just didn't look for them.   Either way, the whole process went smoothly and quickly.  Hopefully our disembarkation will go better than yours!  We're flying out of Bush but our flight doesn't leave until 4:30 so hopefully we'll be ok.

The two times I've been through security at terminal 2 (2017 & 2018) there were three security lines. The main line with all the zig zag lanes in the center, a line for Suites & Pinnacles on the left and one for handicapped passengers on the right of the main line. The two dedicated lines have their own x-ray where the main lane would lead you out to an area with I want to say 6 to 8 machines and you would que in one of these lines to go through screening.

48 minutes ago, SciFiGuy1960 said:

The two times I've been through security at terminal 2 (2017 & 2018) there were three security lines. The main line with all the zig zag lanes in the center, a line for Suites & Pinnacles on the left and one for handicapped passengers on the right of the main line. The two dedicated lines have their own x-ray where the main lane would lead you out to an area with I want to say 6 to 8 machines and you would que in one of these lines to go through screening.

There is certainly a priority lane for Diamond+ (and possibly Diamond, not sure about pre-screening?) and now, The Key passengers.

45 minutes ago, c-leg5 said:

There is certainly a priority lane for Diamond+ (and possibly Diamond, not sure about pre-screening?) and now, The Key passengers.

Yes once you get through security screening and go into the registration lines they're different que's for gold on up.

26 minutes ago, SciFiGuy1960 said:

Yes once you get through security screening and go into the registration lines they're different que's for gold on up.

There are more lines post-security. 

Our experience has been an express lane at least for Diamond and above, pre-security. Two weeks ago the process was complicated by additional signs for The Key guests

Galveston is not know for consistent direction which was one of the main problems during disembarkation.

There are more designated lines post-security. 

Our experience has been an express lane at least for Diamond and above, pre-security. Two weeks ago the process was complicated by additional signs for The Key guests

Galveston is not know for consistent direction which was one of the main problems during disembarkation.

There are more designated lines post-security. 

On 3/6/2019 at 5:53 PM, voyager70 said:

Boarded Liberty last Sunday.  We arrived at the port around noon.  There were no separate security lines (we're D+) but got through security and D+ check in line in about 10 minutes.  

This question is off the topic, but since you have recently sailed on Liberty, I thought I would ask you.   DO you remember the name of the Activity Manager on your sailing?  Often times they co-host the Morning Show with the Cruise Director, and they many times are very visible around the ship hosting activities.   I keep a list on Cruise Critic of the Activity Managers and direct information from recent cruisers is the best way to learn who is on staff.

27 minutes ago, Paulette3028 said:

This question is off the topic, but since you have recently sailed on Liberty, I thought I would ask you.   DO you remember the name of the Activity Manager on your sailing?  Often times they co-host the Morning Show with the Cruise Director, and they many times are very visible around the ship hosting activities.   I keep a list on Cruise Critic of the Activity Managers and direct information from recent cruisers is the best way to learn who is on staff.

Sorry, I didn't catch their name.  I'm on Liberty till Sunday so I'll try to find out and report back!

• 2 weeks later...

Any advice for getting off the ship as soon as possible? Last year, we did self assist but somehow got to the area way too late and had to wait in line for 1.5-2 hours. The stairways were packed and they had closed some of them off as well. Normally we aren't in a hurry to get off but we will be driving 13 hours that day and want to get on the road asap. Thanks!