Tipping

1 hour ago, RocketMan275 said:

And, those you give cash will have to surrender that cash to the ships tipping pool where it will be distributed as required by the contract with the crew.  So, what have you accomplished?

Edited by EXCREWCRUISER
Wrong info

8 minutes ago, EXCREWCRUISER said:

I don't think that is 'wrong information'.  Too many people have reported it to be true.  A few copies of the crew contract also support that.  All we have from you are your personal claims to have insider information.  Tell you what, post a copy of the crew contracts that support  your contentions.

5 minutes ago, RocketMan275 said:

I don't think that is 'wrong information'.  Too many people have reported it to be true.  A few copies of the crew contract also support that.  All we have from you are your personal claims to have insider information.  Tell you what, post a copy of the crew contracts that support  your contentions.

So you are spreading gossip because someone else has told you? Where is your copy? 

The system is corrupt. 

Why does a senior manager (3 stripes) deserve a dip in that pool? 

Ask to see the tip pool and how it is divided and who partakes in it. You’ll be shocked. 

3 minutes ago, EXCREWCRUISER said:

So you are spreading gossip because someone else has told you? Where is your copy? 

The system is corrupt. 

Why does a senior manager (3 stripes) deserve a dip in that pool? 

Ask to see the tip pool and how it is divided and who partakes in it. You’ll be shocked. 

The internet is full of false gossip.  Why should I believe what you've told me when it contradicts what others have said?  The crew contract has been posted multiple times.  Go look it up.

There are many posters here who post false information because they do not believe in the cruise line tipping policies.  

Edited by RocketMan275

Don’t need to. 

The premise is the prepaid system is corrupt and good service should be rewarded the way tipping is meant to be to the person providing it directly. The back of the house should be paid a competitive salary based on  labor provided like any other USA hospitality business. 

I like the new lines that are coming out that are completely getting rid of the prepaid tipping thing. Up front pricing!! 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, EXCREWCRUISER said:

Don’t need to. 

The premise is the prepaid system is corrupt and good service should be rewarded the way tipping is meant to be to the person providing it directly. The back of the house should be paid a competitive salary based on  labor provided like any other USA hospitality business. 

I like the new lines that are coming out that are completely getting rid of the prepaid tipping thing. Up front pricing!! 

That's your personal opinion and there is no reason to think it reflects to wishes of the crew.  

What new cruise lines are those?  

Edited by RocketMan275

58 minutes ago, RocketMan275 said:

That's your personal opinion and there is no reason to think it reflects to wishes of the crew.  

What new cruise lines are those?  

I don’t know your background but I’m guessing your experience is from sitting onboard the ship as a guest. I worked for years onboard the ship representing the crew and understand their struggles and fought for them and anyone of them on cruises over 7 days or in Europe would say they are screwed by the policy and by the Pre tip practice. I had lines outside of my office complaining because of ignorant guests pulling out of the gratuity process and because the old system was gone they ended up with $4.00 for a whole cruise. So believe what you like. And you are sharing your own opinion but you spend 8 months onboard working and listening to them as whole departments and you’ll know and honestly they feed you the guest whatever you want to talk about and will follow your dialogue because that is what they are paid for. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, RocketMan275 said:

The Urban Myth is that crew gets to keep tips when passengers have opted out of the Hotel Service Charge.

Until someone can find an Internal policy and procedure manual it is ALL urban myth. The cruise lines rely on confusion and conjecture to guilt passengers into paying into a very suspect system. 

The way I look at it is this - if I want to award someone a tip for exemplary service & it stays in their pocket, then that’s what I’m aiming for - if it ends up going into the tip pool then it’s unfortunate but what the company were trying to do in the first place - However, there’s much more chance of my tips ending up where I want them to be than anywhere else! 

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, not-enough-cruising said:

Until someone can find an Internal policy and procedure manual it is ALL urban myth. The cruise lines rely on confusion and conjecture to guilt passengers into paying into a very suspect system. 

The policy and procedure manual has been posted many times.  Try looking for it.

12 minutes ago, nickynok1 said:

The way I look at it is this - if I want to award someone a tip for exemplary service & it stays in their pocket, then that’s what I’m aiming for - if it ends up going into the tip pool then it’s unfortunate but what the company were trying to do in the first place - However, there’s much more chance of my tips ending up where I want them to be than anywhere else! 

The crew and the cruise line are the ones who get to choose how to distribute gratuities.  Your preferences are not what matters.

20 minutes ago, not-enough-cruising said:

My preference absolutely matters when I am deciding  whether or not a tip is earned and how  I will distribute it.  

Yes Not-Enough-Cruising, the tipping pool is a corrupt system. We as cruisers deserve the right to decide who we tip and when we tip. That is how our American gratuity system works. Until enough cruisers realize that there is something wrong with the prepaid gratuity system and start pulling out to force them to start paying salaries that are competitive like normal USA business do. What some one really should get there hands on is not the tipping policy but rather the breakdown of who receives money from the prepaid gratuity pool. You will be shocked to see upper management dips their hand into it. 

It is honestly pure laziness on a guests behalf to use a prepaid tipping pool and it is ignorance to think the crew is benefiting from it. It is called good old recognition of service well deserved when you hand a crew member cash and say thank you directly to them compared to some inhuman automated prepaid gratuity system that has no interaction with the individual and to say you were great but you only deserve $4 tip. 

So there are people who are lazy and socially inept who like the prepaid system but i would prefer the system to be changed that allows us the guest to reward good service where we see fit and do something to tell the cruise line the gratuity system is broke and that it shouldn’t be a given expected part of the salary. If it is then just add it to the cost of the ticket and don’t call it a gratuity. When was the last time you went into a restaurant and gave the waiter the tip before you even got to the restaurant or decided before you had the service how much you were going to tip? 

• Like 3

30 minutes ago, EXCREWCRUISER said:

Yes Not-Enough-Cruising, the tipping pool is a corrupt system. We as cruisers deserve the right to decide who we tip and when we tip. That is how our American gratuity system works. Until enough cruisers realize that there is something wrong with the prepaid gratuity system and start pulling out to force them to start paying salaries that are competitive like normal USA business do. What some one really should get there hands on is not the tipping policy but rather the breakdown of who receives money from the prepaid gratuity pool. You will be shocked to see upper management dips their hand into it. 

It is honestly pure laziness on a guests behalf to use a prepaid tipping pool and it is ignorance to think the crew is benefiting from it. It is called good old recognition of service well deserved when you hand a crew member cash and say thank you directly to them compared to some inhuman automated prepaid gratuity system that has no interaction with the individual and to say you were great but you only deserve $4 tip. 

So there are people who are lazy and socially inept who like the prepaid system but i would prefer the system to be changed that allows us the guest to reward good service where we see fit and do something to tell the cruise line the gratuity system is broke and that it shouldn’t be a given expected part of the salary. If it is then just add it to the cost of the ticket and don’t call it a gratuity. When was the last time you went into a restaurant and gave the waiter the tip before you even got to the restaurant or decided before you had the service how much you were going to tip? 

EXCELLENT post, well said. I agree 100% and have not participated in any pre determined “gratuity” plan in many years. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, EXCREWCRUISER said:

Yes Not-Enough-Cruising, the tipping pool is a corrupt system. We as cruisers deserve the right to decide who we tip and when we tip. That is how our American gratuity system works. Until enough cruisers realize that there is something wrong with the prepaid gratuity system and start pulling out to force them to start paying salaries that are competitive like normal USA business do. W

5 hours ago, nickynok1 said:

You may do what you wish, cancel your participation in the auto gratuities and tip as you see fit.  Accomplishes nothing since all those you tip are required to turn those tips into the pool.  Oh, and be sure and tell your cabin stewards and dining staff that you're removing the auto gratuities choosing to tip as you feel the service deserves.  Do this on the first day so they will have the opportunity to anticipate  your generosity as they provide your service through out your cruise.

Yep i completely agree!! Hand your waiter and room attendant  cash every night and you’ll see excellent service. 

And knowing the crew they are not turning it into a pool even if it stated in a policy. 

The good old $20 / $50 handshake does wonders and you’ll see surprises other cruisers will not see. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, RocketMan275 said:

You may do what you wish, cancel your participation in the auto gratuities and tip as you see fit.  Accomplishes nothing since all those you tip are required to turn those tips into the pool.  Oh, and be sure and tell your cabin stewards and dining staff that you're removing the auto gratuities choosing to tip as you feel the service deserves.  Do this on the first day so they will have the opportunity to anticipate  your generosity as they provide your service through out your cruise.

I have the hang of tipping funnily enough, like I said, ill tip for exemplary service, so dependant upon the level of service, each day/night will depend on what I leave - kind of defeats the purpose telling them beforehand, do you not think?   Errrrr, btw if you give me really good service I’m going to give you a bigger tip???  I think not.

however, I may well be inclined to mention that I don’t agree with prepaid gratuities and prefer to tip as I go for good service - either way he will work that out the following morning when we leave  the room & ive left him a tip with a thank you note, & the same for the waiter - like I say, the tip is dependant upon the service received - ***** service, ***** tip! 

2 minutes ago, nickynok1 said:

however, I may well be inclined to mention that I don’t agree with prepaid gratuities and prefer to tip as I go for good service - either way he will work that out the following morning when we leave  the room & ive left him a tip with a thank you note, & the same for the waiter - like I say, the tip is dependant upon the service received - ***** service, ***** tip! 

That's the honest thing to do.  BTW, I'm sure you intend, assuming great service, to leave approximately the same amount as the prepaid gratuities?

37 minutes ago, RocketMan275 said:

That's the honest thing to do.  BTW, I'm sure you intend, assuming great service, to leave approximately the same amount as the prepaid gratuities?

Actually, I’m quite sure, of course dependant upon the level of service, that I will be leaving more - like I say, I like to make sure my tips go where I intend them to - ie the person  that’s actually doing the work, rather  than someone  sitting in an office somewhere!