Virgin Voyages

Anyone planning on trying Virgin?  The bookings have just opened and they are unsurprisingly a little expensive.  And only 4-5 day cruises at this stage. Trying to work out the cabins - it looks like the bed gets folded up each day to make a couch?  Bit annoying if you like a nanna nap during the day.

14 hours ago, MicCanberra said:

Getting ink on a cruise, while not for me it, must be attracting a particular clientele that would be interesting to cruise with.

Tattoos are a lot more mainstream these days being no longer reserved for sailors, bikies and random ne'er-do-wells.  It's certainly a way of permanently remembering your cruise experience.

13 minutes ago, MicCanberra said:

Those that have ink would likely want more, perhaps they can have a world map on their chests, and colour in the countries that they visit

Why is it that I suspect this, or a variation on the theme, has already been thought of?  😊

On 2/17/2019 at 6:00 AM, Mr&MrsCookie said:

Anyone planning on trying Virgin?

I've just checked out the website and I'm afraid that it's not for this country girl.  Looks a lot like a party boat full of happy vibrant young things.  Those of us who last saw 10pm on a trip back from the Big Smoke, are best to leave such cruises to them and concentrate on more sedate adventures.  Bingo anyone?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, Bubbeh said:

I've just checked out the website and I'm afraid that it's not for this country girl.  Looks a lot like a party boat full of happy vibrant young things.  Those of us who last saw 10pm on a trip back from the Big Smoke, are best to leave such cruises to them and concentrate on more sedate adventures.  Bingo anyone?

Late night movies is more my style than Bingo but yes, the partying can be left for the party animals.

I'm definitely interested (currently a single dude in my late 20s) but the price is offputting for a 5 night cruise. If I didn't have to deal with travel to/from the Gold Coast, it may be a little more justifiable... I do like that the target market is 18-40, not 60+ like most of the 18+ cruise lines.

4 hours ago, dbn89 said:

I'm definitely interested (currently a single dude in my late 20s) but the price is offputting for a 5 night cruise. If I didn't have to deal with travel to/from the Gold Coast, it may be a little more justifiable... I do like that the target market is 18-40, not 60+ like most of the 18+ cruise lines.

Too young for myself now, I prefer being one of the younger ones rather than the other way around.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, lyndarra said:

I can't help thinking what the tattoos on the twenty somethings will look like when they reach sixty something.

That's what I say to my kids - both of them have tattoos.

I still don't think there would be many twenty somethings with tattoos with lots of money who want to go on cruises.  Very select market.

2 hours ago, lyndarra said:

I can't help thinking what the tattoos on the twenty somethings will look like when they reach sixty something.

Depends where you have them put.  It's like anything else, if you put a tatt on an area that is going to go south as you age, the ink will stretch and become disproportionate too.  Interestingly putting on weight has the same effect. 

I'm 60+ and I have several tatts which I got when I was much younger and I have never been sorry with the design or location of any of my ink.  Mind you, I have never had one put in an area that I cannot easily cover, if needs be.  Prior to retirement, I was a professional in an especially conservative discipline and I would bet London to a brick that my colleagues would have never suspected what lay beneath my clothes.  My tatts are my private business and I have always kept them that way.

My husband and sons-in-law have none but my daughters do.  In my opinion, each to their own.

9 hours ago, dbn89 said:

They are clearly after the 18-40 market!  I havent seen any stats, but I would suggest the 18-40 market is probably the most under represented market in cruising out there.  So, rather than work to steal passengers from other cruise lines, they are trying to encourage people who have not cruised before and get brand loyalty that way.

As for the price, its clearly inflated because its the first round of bookings and I would think it would drop as their other 2 ships start coming into service. Also... There are no extra dining costs on board.... so its a fair assumption that your onboard account might be a little lower than another cruise line.

Also... they will hopefully then start to look at the Australian/NZ market and make it a bit cheaper for us down here to get access to the cruises.

Edited by RadioBoy
extra