Virgin Voyages

7 hours ago, RadioBoy said:

They are clearly after the 18-40 market!  I havent seen any stats, but I would suggest the 18-40 market is probably the most under represented market in cruising out there.  So, rather than work to steal passengers from other cruise lines, they are trying to encourage people who have not cruised before and get brand loyalty that way.

Not sure who is doing their market research but the reason the 18 - 40 age market are under represented (in my humble opinion) is because they HAVE NO MONEY!! Ask any of us parents 😉😂🤣

Edited by Porky55

8 minutes ago, Porky55 said:

Not sure who is doing their market research but the reason the 18 - 40 age market are under represented (in my humble opinion) is because they HAVE NO MONEY!! Ask any of us parents 😉😂🤣

Good point. 

I seem to remember that scenic or one of the other River cruising lines tried to get that same market. They changed their cruises and did their best to discourage anyone over 35 from buying a ticket. The whole thing was a massive flop, and in a few months they went back to the old system.

3 hours ago, Toryhere said:

Good point. 

I seem to remember that scenic or one of the other River cruising lines tried to get that same market. They changed their cruises and did their best to discourage anyone over 35 from buying a ticket. The whole thing was a massive flop, and in a few months they went back to the old system.

Not quite a massive flop, but not a raging success.

It is a division of Uniworld, with two ships. First they extended the age range to enable more cruisers as they weren't getting enough, and now they have tactically withdrawn one of the ships to operate a more mass market operation. One ship remains.

Nothing wrong with the product, but hasn't been successful as they wanted. 

In this case, I can easily foresee the tattoo parlour being remade into a golfing sim or some such within a year of launch...

11 hours ago, MicCanberra said:

Do not under estimate the group that do not have children as a choice and also the Pink dollar.

Everyone knows that the largest current spending group of adults in the world are:

Generation X (1964 - 1976) and Baby Boomers (1945 - 1964) and the Builder Generation (pre 1945) 

They talk about how much we are costing governments every day 😂😂 so good luck to Virgin if they think this new age group they are targeting will make money in such a small cruising demographic.  (Age, location, days, ship)

NOTE: Googled the name of the Generations just to be sure - in the US the pre 1945’s are called the Silent Generation.

On Australian websites they call this generation the Builders - I think this is much more suitable as it includes the children from the WWs and this is what this Generation did 🇦🇺 so thankyou!!

8A0F1D5C-5367-4973-96A5-817C8F20745A.jpeg

Edited by Porky55
Add photo

14 hours ago, Porky55 said:

Not exactly true... There are plenty (myself included) making over 80 grand a year, with minimal expenses.

The thing to remember about my generation, there are a hell of a lot more university educated people who are chasing the $$. Company loyalty is dead if they refuse to pay what we are worth. Older generations would stick with one company for 30 years... This generation will change jobs every 2-3 to chase a pay rise and more money.

4 hours ago, dbn89 said:

Not exactly true... There are plenty (myself included) making over 80 grand a year, with minimal expenses.

The thing to remember about my generation, there are a hell of a lot more university educated people who are chasing the $$. Company loyalty is dead if they refuse to pay what we are worth. Older generations would stick with one company for 30 years... This generation will change jobs every 2-3 to chase a pay rise and more money.

Agreed, and with no kids, their disposable income is very high.

6 hours ago, Porky55 said:

Everyone knows that the largest current spending group of adults in the world are:

Generation X (1964 - 1976) and Baby Boomers (1945 - 1964) and the Builder Generation (pre 1945) 

They talk about how much we are costing governments every day 😂😂 so good luck to Virgin if they think this new age group they are targeting will make money in such a small cruising demographic.  (Age, location, days, ship)

NOTE: Googled the name of the Generations just to be sure - in the US the pre 1945’s are called the Silent Generation.

On Australian websites they call this generation the Builders - I think this is much more suitable as it includes the children from the WWs and this is what this Generation did 🇦🇺 so thankyou!!

8A0F1D5C-5367-4973-96A5-817C8F20745A.jpeg

Nice table but it just proves the point, they are not saving for the future as they only have medium and short term goals and wants which means more disposable income.

Don’t disagree about any of those above points - all very true.

It’s just the amount of people that fall into the citeria you both suggest, and that Virgin are chasing that I think will fall short, but don’t doubt the draw of the product. 

They are outnumbered - the only reason for the table 😉

Edited by Porky55