Multi USB charging point

oregoncruisers

Has anyone used a multi usb charging point on Royal Princess? My wife and I are curious. From both cell phones, to our go pro, to her iPad, trying to charge all of our devices can be tricky. Was thinking of buying a multiple usb charger to accomplish this.  Are they allowed on board?

We have a multi-USB charging point and have used it on several cruises so far without a problem.  Our last cruise was on the CB last November.  We have used it on the Emerald and Ruby as well.  Princess only bans anything (usually power strips) with a built in surge protector.  The multi-port USB chargers are becoming a necessity on cruises and at home. 

The vast majority of multi chargers have only ONE POINT OF POWER. Say it's a 2 Amp charger with four ports. Each time something is attached, the output charge gets split. One device would get the full 2 Amps, but with four attached it's down to .5 Amp. Some devices, like a Kindle Fire tablet, require a full 2 Amp to charge. I use a power strip with individual plug in chargers.  My list now has battery charger for camera, lap top, Ipod AND Iphone, Kindle and newest addition a bluetooth speaker.

• Like 2

Instead of the power strip which may be confiscated (or maybe start a fire) spend a couple bucks and purchase a multi-USB that is 10 or 12 amp,  Searching  Amazon or using Google will provide you with a a significant number of products to choose from. 

2 hours ago, oregoncruisers said:

How do you get the power strip past security, I thought they confiscated them. 

Just make sure you aren’t trying to bring a power strip that has built in surge protection aboard and you should be fine. I’ve taken a basic no frills power strip on my last 10 or so cruises without any issues.

The issue with the surge protection power strips is that they dump any power surges to earth. The issue with being onboard a ship is that earth is the ship’s hull. 

On 2/16/2019 at 7:43 PM, jlp20 said:

The vast majority of multi chargers have only ONE POINT OF POWER. Say it's a 2 Amp charger with four ports. Each time something is attached, the output charge gets split. One device would get the full 2 Amps, but with four attached it's down to .5 Amp. Some devices, like a Kindle Fire tablet, require a full 2 Amp to charge. I use a power strip with individual plug in chargers.  My list now has battery charger for camera, lap top, Ipod AND Iphone, Kindle and newest addition a bluetooth speaker.

This is incorrect.  I am not sure why you think a USB hub would act any differently than your power strip, they are drawing power from the exact same source.  To the point, most USB hubs will state what the output is on each individual port.  Yes, many of them have 1.5 amp ports, but a majority have smart ports that regulate the output based on what is plugged in.  I know for a fact that if I plug 4 devices into my USB at a time it doesn’t drop everything down to .5 amps, things would never charge.  

ETA:

With many of the newer ones, especially the USB C hubs, you have to be careful as they are starting to come with surge protection.  With the older USB A hubs it was as prevelant. 

Edited by Steelers0854

I've used this one for years:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00OJ79UK6/ref=oh_aui_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

10 ports, 12 amp capacity. Just read the specifications on whatever unit you choose to avoid the confusion some posters above seem to have.

For me, handles 2 cell phones, 2 cameras, iPad, BT speaker. It's my "charging station" at home, and on the ship.

6 hours ago, Steelers0854 said:

I am not sure why you think a USB hub would act any differently than your power strip,

Your confusing voltage and amperage. The voltage for each outlet in a average USB hub are all the same, about 5 volts at 1-3 amps. The voltage remains the same, but the amps per outlet drops as each device added. HOWEVER, I have seen a couple of high end hubs that have separate transformers for each usb. 

3 hours ago, jlp20 said:

Your confusing voltage and amperage. The voltage for each outlet in a average USB hub are all the same, about 5 volts at 1-3 amps. The voltage remains the same, but the amps per outlet drops as each device added. HOWEVER, I have seen a couple of high end hubs that have separate transformers for each usb. 

I’m sorry this is still not correct.  All of the USB chargers on the market deliver consistent amps to each port no matter how many devices are plugged in, period.

I have a RAVpower that has the following:

RAVPower 60W 12A 6-Port USB Charger Desktop Charging Station with iSmart, Compatible with iPhone Xs XS Max XR X 8 7 Plus, iPad Pro Air Mini, Galaxy S9 S8 S7 S6 Edge, Tablet and More 

It uses iSmart to deliver the proper current to each port used.  Obviously this is not the $5 special.

On 2/16/2019 at 6:48 PM, oregoncruisers said:

How do you get the power strip past security, I thought they confiscated them. 

The surge protection is advertised on the retail box. That fact may/may not be on the device itself. The problem is ship's security makes this call. The same power strip that had made numerous trips was refused entry. Security said that because it had the neon power light made it a surge protector. Can't fight city hall. I have dumbed down my cruise equipment to a what is basically a very short extension cord.