Nexus cards San Diego port

Jareds_mommytoo

I asked on the west coast departure board, but no answer. 
We just applied for our nexus card will they be of any use in March for cruise?

No. San Diego immigration checks non USA on board then lets everyone else get off quickly. No separate line for Global entry or NEXUS

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

21 minutes ago, The-Inside-Cabin said:

San Diego immigration checks non USA on board then lets everyone else get off quickly.

That's not exactly how it worked for us on our HAL Panama Canal cruise a number of years ago.

Well, they tried to get all the non-USA while onboard, but at least 3 parties didn't show up, and weren't responding to pages.  No one was allowed to debark until they were all cleared.  There were some missed planes that morning.  We weren't allowed off the ship until after 10:00.

Edited by Shmoo here

That's not exactly how it worked for us on our HAL Panama Canal cruise a number of years ago.

Well, they tried to get all the non-USA while onboard, but at least 3 parties didn't show up, and weren't responding to pages.  No one was allowed to debark until they were all cleared.  There were some missed planes that morning.  We weren't allowed off the ship until after 10:00.

Was that May 2016? I think I was on that cruise also

That is the plan to clear the non USA on board. On subsequent cruises it worked as advertised. That cruise was the outlier

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

All I can do is relate our own experience.  I’m an American and my husband is Canadian.  On a recent cruise from Vancouver to the states (on another cruise line), Customs and Border Patrol told us, that our NEXUS cards were for land or air crossings between the US and Canada only and did not apply to sea entry.  You will need your passport.  That said their is still an advantage.  When you obtain NEXUS you are deemed a ‘trusted traveler’.  As a US citizen (I think) you can use Global Entry kiosks at the airport.  If a port has kiosk you can use them as well, but VERY few ports do.  

6 minutes ago, OR_Cowboy_1952 said:

All I can do is relate our own experience.  I’m an American and my husband is Canadian.  On a recent cruise from Vancouver to the states (on another cruise line), Customs and Border Patrol told us, that our NEXUS cards were for land or air crossings between the US and Canada only and did not apply to sea entry.  You will need your passport.  That said their is still an advantage.  When you obtain NEXUS you are deemed a ‘trusted traveler’.  As a US citizen (I think) you can use Global Entry kiosks at the airport.  If a port has kiosk you can use them as well, but VERY few ports do.  

Who ever told you that was mistaken 

3DBB67C2-8AA8-4553-9135-EC5FFB2F24A1.jpeg

46 minutes ago, Jareds_mommytoo said:

Who ever told you that was mistaken 

I found out early on that CBP has the final word, whether they have interpreted policy correctly or not. 

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, OR_Cowboy_1952 said:

All NEXUS pass holders have GE privileges; not just US citizens.

The original post inquires about the use of a Nexus card in March......presumably from San Diego on Holland America.

The itinerary is not noted; however, only 4 sailings are available.  

March 9th to the South Pacific on the Eurodam.

March 17, 24, and 31 to Mexico on the Nieuw Amsterdam.

Nexus cards are not recognized by Mexico for visitation.

You must have either a Birth Certificate or Passport along with a Nexus, Sentri, or Global Entry card for embarkation on any of these voyages.

David

2 hours ago, DAllenTCY said:

You must have either a Birth Certificate or Passport along with a Nexus, Sentri, or Global Entry card for embarkation on any of these voyages.

No, you don't HAVE to have a Nexus, Sentri, or Global Entry card.  But you do need a passport.