Oriana comparison

Dajo5601

I've seen so many postings over the years regarding similar subjects but still feel that my posting is justified as I would appreciate some advice.  For more years than I care to remember my wife and I have cruised on either the Queen Victoria or the Queen Elizabeth.  This May however, we have agreed to join our dear friends on a cruise on the Oriana, they love the ship and as it is being sold later this year they feel that this would be their "Good-bye" cruise to the ship.  We have absolutely no reservations in cruising on Oriana but I would welcome any advice/views/opinions as to the main differences between the Queens and the Oriana.  We now that they are different and we won't be spending our time making comparisons but I would like others views, purely as a matter of interest.  Thanks in advance, David.  

Purely in my opinion of course -

Queen Elizabeth - more sophisticated ambience, more international pax, better quality food, decor more formal/elegant,very expensive wine & drinks, entertainment a bit hit & miss.

Oriana - feels more intimate, most public rooms and bars are enclosed as opposed to being on corridors, very British, classic Ocean-Liner feel, lots of hints of Art Deco/Nouvea, reasonably priced wine/drinks, very friendly pax, good entertainment.

Hi David, just my thoughts in response to your question. Let me say at the outset that we have not sailed on either the Queen Victoria or Queen Elizabeth but, as I do some travel writing (and also as a ship enthusiast), I have been over both ships several times at Southampton. Our experience with Cunard is based on many cruises on the Queen Mary 2 in both Britannia class and Queens Grill class. (You did not mention which class you had sailed in on QE and QV). Britboys is spot on with his comparisons but I would add a further observation regarding food.

Having cruised on several P&O ships I would say the food is reasonably comparable to what you get in the Britannia Restaurant on Queen Mary 2 (and I am confident QE and QV would be similar). Certainly P&O's food does not compare with that in the Queens Grill on Cunard (but, of course, nor does the price of the cruise!!) but my opinion is that it is similar to Britannia class.

I am very confident you will love many things about Oriana, albeit at the end of the day may feel it is not as sophisticated as Cunard, as said by Britboys.

Just to put my comments into perspective by the way - in 5 days time on Friday we embark on a 28 night cruise on Oriana so we must like the product as well as Cunard!!

Have a great cruise and we will look after Oriana for you 😀😀.

Kind regards. Peter

Edited by PrincessPete
Spelling
  • Thanks 1

22 hours ago, Britboys said:

Purely in my opinion of course -

Queen Elizabeth - more sophisticated ambience, more international pax, better quality food, decor more formal/elegant,very expensive wine & drinks, entertainment a bit hit & miss.

Oriana - feels more intimate, most public rooms and bars are enclosed as opposed to being on corridors, very British, classic Ocean-Liner feel, lots of hints of Art Deco/Nouvea, reasonably priced wine/drinks, very friendly pax, good entertainment.

I agree with the above as a fair assessment of the difference.

Food is generally a bit better in the MDR and very much better in the Cunard buffet.

The cabins on Cunard are also slightly nicer IMO. The real difference is if you are in a suite where Cunard then wins hands down with the extra services it provides to Grill passengers.

Personally I prefer P&Os extra pay restaurants as they are proper restaurants.

P&O charge for room service (except breakfast).

You may notice some slight changes but you will have an enjoyable holiday on Oriana. (If you had been sailing on one of the newer, bigger P&O ships then I am sure the advice would be completely different).

22 hours ago, Eglesbrech said:

...You may notice some slight changes but you will have an enjoyable holiday on Oriana. (If you had been sailing on one of the newer, bigger P&O ships then I am sure the advice would be completely different).

Couldn't agree more!  That's why I seldom sail on anything bigger than Arcadia.  I am on Azura for 4 nights soon - but only because I am going with a group of friends.  My next P&O cruise at present will be Aurora next year.