Left Behind in Nassau on the Symphony of the Seas!

1 hour ago, tutzig said:

Actually..

if you can get past customs at the foreign airport and get on the plane, a US citizen will not be refused entry. You will go through enhanced screening, but make it.

i know this from personal experience.

i wasn’t the one traveling without, but the travel agent who had to assist the clients that didn’t listen to my advice.

I think getting on the plane is the issue. 

On one of our cruises out of Galvestonwe had left our stop and we’re headed for our last stop in Cozumel when the captain came on the PA to say “Please make welcome Mr & Mrs wxyz from the carnival xxx.  They missed their ship and will be our guests to Cozumel where they will rejoin their own cruise.  It was lucky for them that we had been shadowing them since leaving Galveston, always an hour behind them,  same ports all the way.

’t know if ships do this often or how much it may have cost the couple, but they got back here they belonged.

Edited by roadburner
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, roadburner said:

On one of our cruises out of Galvestonwe had left our stop and we’re headed for our last stop in Cozumel when the captain came on the PA to say “Please make welcome Mr & Mrs wxyz from the carnival xxx.  They missed their ship and will be our guests to Cozumel where they will rejoin their own cruise.  It was lucky for them that we had been shadowing them since leaving Galveston, always an hour behind them,  same ports all the way.

’t know if ships do this often or how much it may have cost the couple, but they got back here they belonged.

Wow!

On 2/17/2019 at 1:15 PM, Aquahound said:

I say this knowing full well I'm going against the grain, and I do have my flame retardant suit on (tailored that thing years ago here on Cruise Critic), but I do think its a little childish to laugh at people like this.  I'm not supporting them because they messed up, but they did have to learn their lesson the hard way.  

I'll admit....I've heckled pier runners before, but never those who totally missed the ship.  I just can't imagine taking a 6 minute video of someone like this, laughing at them on the video, and then posting it on social media.  

I know, I'm in the minority on this thread.  Let me have it.  

They were on the NCL Bliss, had nothing better to do.

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, roadburner said:

So they were guests, paid nothing, got to ride on RCI but paid for Carnival.  Great idea!!!

On 2/17/2019 at 10:18 AM, BecciBoo said:

learning to live with rules and comply with instructions does have consequences!  Good lesson learned...a whole lot of people need that one!!!!!!!  Not an ounce of pity in me.  Sorry

I have to agree,  they could not even put in the effort to run or act like they were sorry they were late.  typical entitled people who think the rules do not mean them.  My butt is back on the ship early.

• Like 1

We were in Nassau one time, heading through security to get back on Grandeur; and there were several young people in the line ahead of us with Carnival SeaPass cards.  The local authorities were trying to explain to them that Carnival had left an hour before. 

We proceeded to our ship, so have no idea what happened to this group.  But Carnival was well and truly gone.

This is from one of my reviews when we had been in La Palma:

All aboard was at 3:30 p.m. There were two people who were late. The captain announced that we would leave as soon as the people arrived or as soon as their stateroom was packed up and their luggage was placed outside on the pier, whichever came first. We (and most everyone else) were watching from our balcony as the first pieces of luggage were placed out on the pier, and we saw a police car rapidly approaching the ship (presumably skipping the security we had to go through halfway back to the ship). The couple exited the car with a bunch of shopping bags in hand and were met with both cheers and jeers from watching passengers, and, luckily for them, the couple was permitted to board.

We did have one situation where the husband had injured his foot and went to the hospital for a cast. The Capt announced we would be 30 minutes late to wait for he and his wife. We saw the wife racing for the ship and her husband in a wheel chair being run to the ramp. He grabbed his crutches and hobbled on board to cheers from everyone.

• Like 3

We were on this cruise and watched this happen. Do I feel sorry for them? No.. We were already 30 minutes late. Sail away was at 3:30 not 4.

In the Compass it stated to try to board before 2:30 if you were not on a ship excursion as the bulk of the passengers were coming back between 2:30 to 3:30. 

This was our last stop, but a crew member told us that evening, there's a representative in all the ports and will put them up in a hotel, get them on a plane, then get there luggage off the ship and hand them a bill in Miami. Also said they will be blacklisted from RC.

We watched many late passengers run, stroll to the ship the whole cruise. In Roatan there was a a older gentleman laughing when he boarded as he still had 4 minutes left. There were still about another 6 to 8 more after him. Some coming from taxi's and one small bus.

Maybe the Captain was done waiting for all the late passengers.

12 minutes ago, cruzinisgood said:

We were on this cruise and watched this happen. Do I feel sorry for them? No.. We were already 30 minutes late. Sail away was at 3:30 not 4.

In the Compass it stated to try to board before 2:30 if you were not on a ship excursion as the bulk of the passengers were coming back between 2:30 to 3:30. 

This was our last stop, but a crew member told us that evening, there's a representative in all the ports and will put them up in a hotel, get them on a plane, then get there luggage off the ship and hand them a bill in Miami. Also said they will be blacklisted from RC.

We watched many late passengers run, stroll to the ship the whole cruise. In Roatan there was a a older gentleman laughing when he boarded as he still had 4 minutes left. There were still about another 6 to 8 more after him. Some coming from taxi's and one small bus.

Maybe the Captain was done waiting for all the late passengers.

Exactly! get your fanny back to the ship allow for traffic and whatever! This  is what every other person on that ship did!

Edited by Reader0108598

On 2/17/2019 at 5:56 PM, gaylemh said:

I was once told by a captain that if they are contacted that someone is running late, for a good reason, they will try to wait a few minutes, if they can, but if no one contacts the ship they have no idea where they are, and how late they will be, so they leave on time.

How do you contact the ship if you are running late? 

I am careful at judging pier runners as not all are irresponsible, drunk passengers.  Some are late due to private tours they have arranged.  We happened to be on a ship excursion in Hawaii with 3 other couples returning back to the ship when the van broke down and we were late boarding 2 hours.  The cruise director, the excursion director, 2 other officers were waiting for us outside among other crew members.  All passengers hanging out the decks started applauding.  We have been cruising 25+ years arranging for our tours in most places and are aware that accidents and other unforeseen events out of passenger's control do happen. We could have easily been on a private tour that day.  We just got lucky.

Edited by nednrom

52 minutes ago, NavyCruiser said:

If your flight leaves at 5pm, would you arrive at the airport 5:05pm?

If your train leaves at 6pm, would you arrive at the station 6:05pm?

Then why would you think the ship will be waiting for you if you arrive after the all-aboard time...?

Bingo!!

1 hour ago, cruzinisgood said:

According to the Cruise Compass posted by MrFunInTheSun for this very cruise all aboard was at 3:30 and departure time was 4:00.  The entry in the daily planner to which you refer was a reminder to passengers to allow for large crowds during the 2:30 - 3:30 time period.  Two lines below it clearly states again 3:30 was all aboard time.  See post #380 in his "Live" thread for the pages in question.  

Post #400 states "We are finally underway. A little delayed as some folks seem to think the all aboard is just a suggestion not a must do. 😀"  

He didn't say what "finally underway" meant, but it implies that sail away was after 4:00pm.  In this case the 4:00pm time was important for another reason.  Due to tides, and the size of this ship, it had to leave earlier to be extra sure not to have an issue.  I am on the Mar 16th sailing and rec'd an email notice to this effect

Important distinction to those taking this cruise in the future, one of whom is me.  I've never tempted fate with the all aboard time, but my voyage has already had two hours shaved from our time in this port and, since it's the last day of our cruise, I don't think I'll be very aware of being within walking distance to easily make the 3:30 time, given crowd sizes mentioned.  That might not mean I'll get ahead of 2:30.

On our very first cruise, 6 or 7 years ago, very first port! We were in Jamaica and chose a private excursion to go zip lining. There were about 10 people in a van, and everything went fine until the end of the tour, when they had dropped us off for shopping and (1) couple went immediately to a bar to start drinking. Time to meet back at the van and they weren't there. The tour operator kept saying "just a few more minutes", several times, while the rest of us sat in the van getting more and more nervous. Especially my family, since this was all so new to us and we'd never even experienced getting back on a ship?!?! Finally, after people were practically yelling at the tour operator to leave, the couple showed up, happy and drunk and not at all concerned that we were all waiting for them?!?! We raced to the ship (considering all the traffic it was a slow race), finally pulled up and we all jumped out and ran. Or course, everybody on their balconies was yelling and whistling as we raced to get back on. I was so relieved and happy to be back on board. I was mortified and swore never again!!!! And after 9 cruises, i have never been that late getting on again EVER! And, we still take mostly private excursions. But i will say i have a little sympathy when i see people racing to get back on - sometimes it is NOT their fault.....now, if they're falling down drunk i have NO sympathy?!?!

Edited by ajtaylor29