Left Behind in Nassau on the Symphony of the Seas!

9 minutes ago, nelblu said:

Thanks for the clarification as I did not think that any fine(s) was warranted.  Just wondering if the Jones Act has any value vis--a-vis the cruise industry.  Love to see itineraries up & down the East Coast without having to stop in Bermuda or Nassau.

There are items in Jones that do apply to all ships.   Percentage of US steel to qualify as US built (including any repairs since initial build),  percentage of crew that must be US citizens are not found in PVSA but apply to any ship seeking to qualify as a "US Ship".  

Pride of America is a good example.  They really bent the interpretations during the building of the ship to get it to qualify as US eligible.  You can't take a ship built overseas with foreign steel and slap a US flag on it to qualify as exempt to Jones or PVSA.  

15 minutes ago, LBumb said:

Yikes. 27 cruises and never been close

Never will we be close.   If we do a Royal excursion, it is their responsibility to get us back to ship in time, or the ship waits for the excursion to return before leaving. When we do our own (which has become more frequent), we do morning or early afternoon returns to ship to enjoy the ship before everyone has made it back on board.    Our priority is enjoyment, not stress.  

• Like 3

1 hour ago, KimPossible1 said:

This is another post where CC posters feel the need to "school" people.  Why can't it be said "gee thats a shame, it would be terrible" instead of making fun of their clothes, saying how "special" they think they are and how rules don't apply to them....jeez  lighten up people!!!   These kind of replies make reading cruise critic not fun!!

You have been a  member of CC since 2011. You had to know what comments were going to be made before you even opened the thread. I don't have to read  past this post to know that you already  received the "Don't read the thread" comment or other snarky tongue lashing remarks.  CC members love to say I told you so. They also assume things that may not even be true like over indulging in port. Couple didn't look like they were staggering to me. Maybe just maybe they ran into another issue like traffic or car trouble.  Which someone will reply to this post with, "This is why we book Ship excursions".

This is most unfortunate and If this was their first cruise you can be sure that they won't book another one.

• Like 7

5 minutes ago, Iamcruzin said:

You have been a  member of CC since 2011. You had to know what comments were going to be made before you even opened the thread. I don't have to read  past this post to know that you already  received the "Don't read the thread" comment or other snarky tongue lashing remarks.  CC members love to say I told you so. They also assume things that may not even be true like over indulging in port. Couple didn't look like they were staggering to me. Maybe just maybe they ran into another issue like traffic or car trouble.  Which someone will reply to this post with, "This is why we book Ship excursions".

This is most unfortunate and If this was their first cruise you can be sure that they won't book another one.

Yup, I should have known better 😉  That's why I hardly ever post and shouldn't have done it today lol!  

9 minutes ago, Iamcruzin said:

You are right about the incident being unfortunate.....and you may be right again when you say that if this was their first cruise it might be their last cruise.....but if that is the case, they are the kind of people that 'takes no responsibility for their own actions'.....and quite a few people are like that, unfortunately. 

I will agree that it is unfortunate and sad when it happens....but it doesn't have to happen.

• Thanks 1

34 minutes ago, twangster said:

There are items in Jones that do apply to all ships.   Percentage of US steel to qualify as US built (including any repairs since initial build),  percentage of crew that must be US citizens are not found in PVSA but apply to any ship seeking to qualify as a "US Ship".  

Pride of America is a good example.  They really bent the interpretations during the building of the ship to get it to qualify as US eligible.  You can't take a ship built overseas with foreign steel and slap a US flag on it to qualify as exempt to Jones or PVSA.  

It doesn’t apply to all ships....only the ones that are looking to be flagged in the US, which in the case of the big cruise lines is one...the Pride of America as you mentioned.

I say this knowing full well I'm going against the grain, and I do have my flame retardant suit on (tailored that thing years ago here on Cruise Critic), but I do think its a little childish to laugh at people like this.  I'm not supporting them because they messed up, but they did have to learn their lesson the hard way.  

I'll admit....I've heckled pier runners before, but never those who totally missed the ship.  I just can't imagine taking a 6 minute video of someone like this, laughing at them on the video, and then posting it on social media.  

I know, I'm in the minority on this thread.  Let me have it.  

• Like 23
  • Thanks 2

1 minute ago, Ourusualbeach said:

It doesn’t apply to all ships....only the ones that are looking to be flagged in the US, which in the case of the big cruise lines is one...the Pride of America as you mentioned.

Why do ships seek to be US flagged?  To be exempt from Jones and PVSA.  So I would argue it does apply to any ship that enters a US port in pursuit of coastwise trade.   

Just now, twangster said:

Why do ships seek to be US flagged?  To be exempt from Jones and PVSA.  So I would argue it does apply to any ship that enters a US port in pursuit of coastwise trade.   

As far as I’m aware Royal has never sought to have any of their ships US flagged.

it only applies to those seeking to be US flagged,..not All ships as you stated.

10 minutes ago, Paulette3028 said:

You are right about the incident being unfortunate.....and you may be right again when you say that if this was their first cruise it might be their last cruise.....but if that is the case, they are the kind of people that 'takes no responsibility for their own actions'.....and quite a few people are like that, unfortunately. 

I will agree that it is unfortunate and sad when it happens....but it doesn't have to happen.

Judge much?  You don’t know the people so you can only assume that they take no responsibility. You weren’t there so you don’t know the entire situation that caused them to be late.

• Like 3

Seriously, we left a couple in Russia a couple of years ago.  We waited 1 1/2 hours.  They showed when we were yards from the dock.  Bye Bye.    Take responsibility for your actions I guess.

Edited by sprint180
  • Like 2

15 minutes ago, Ourusualbeach said:

As far as I’m aware Royal has never sought to have any of their ships US flagged.

it only applies to those seeking to be US flagged,..not All ships as you stated.

You have it backwards  The Act applies to those ship that do NOT qualify as US flagged.  The first section of the act defines what it is required to be exempt.  If not exempt the rest of act then applies.  Therefore all ship are subject to the act if they desire to pursue coastwise trade in US waters. 

If a cruise ship operator keeps their ships out of US water, then the act doesn't apply.  

2 hours ago, KimPossible1 said:

This is another post where CC posters feel the need to "school" people.  Why can't it be said "gee thats a shame, it would be terrible" instead of making fun of their clothes, saying how "special" they think they are and how rules don't apply to them....jeez  lighten up people!!!   These kind of replies make reading cruise critic not fun!!

Been on Cruise Critic 21yrs now, like with whole Internet it is what it is

• Like 2

32 minutes ago, Iamcruzin said:

Judge much?  You don’t know the people so you can only assume that they take no responsibility. You weren’t there so you don’t know the entire situation that caused them to be late.

And what would cause the situation to be acceptable for them to be late and the cruise ship to wait for them?  The only one is if they were on a sanctioned excursion and it was late returning.  If they were doing ANYTHING ELSE - it's on them to return before the ship leaves.  This is where being accountable for your actions comes into play.

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, Iamcruzin said:

If they say, 'oh well, the ship should have waited for us'....and that is the reason they don't cruise again.......they are 'not taking responsibility for their actions'.....I am not judging, just commenting based on what is said here.

If they don't cruise again after this incident because they truly did not like the cruise experience, so be it.  For many it is one and done.  

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, hallux said:

And what would cause the situation to be acceptable for them to be late and the cruise ship to wait for them?  The only one is if they were on a sanctioned excursion and it was late returning.  If they were doing ANYTHING ELSE - it's on them to return before the ship leaves.  This is where being accountable for your actions comes into play.

I guess some cruisers don't listen to the pre disembarkation announcements or read the Cruise Compass for all aboard time. Oh wait, that only applies to everyone else. :classic_rolleyes: We've actually had people come up to ask while in port and ask what ship we're sailing on and if it's the same ship what time do we have to be back on the ship by. My wife always takes a copy of the Cruise Compass.  We're always back on the ship early. 

Edited by davekathy
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

We always take time to watch our ship near time to depart and the ship next to us if they leave before us. The thing I can never understand is that the people that arrive after official departure time, usually take the longest stroll to to ship, some even taking selfies. Many of these folks aren’t the most steady on their feet, darn sea legs;)

The most uncomfortable scene I have witnessed is a young lady melting down on the phone and the crew of the ship she was on trying to get her on board. They did a good job getting her calmed down and off the phone and on board. 

We were a few minutes late once due to our ship sponsored tour, and after the tour bus dropped us off my daughter and I fast walked to the ship. That was too close for us. I just don’t understand why anyone would even chance missing the boat while shopping or hanging out at a bar. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Paulette3028 said:

Never will we be close.   If we do a Royal excursion, it is their responsibility to get us back to ship in time, or the ship waits for the excursion to return before leaving. When we do our own (which has become more frequent), we do morning or early afternoon returns to ship to enjoy the ship before everyone has made it back on board.    Our priority is enjoyment, not stress.  

In 30 cruises going on 31 very rarely take a ship excursion never been late or  even close to it! To each his own whatever you are comfortable with as long as you are back on time 🙂

Edited by Reader0108598

4:00 does not mean 4:01.  When the ship is cleared to leave, the ramp is pulled, doors closed and engines turning, the ship is underway, nobody goes on or off except the pilot and the ship doesn't even stop for him.  If you're an adult, you know better, fini

#1 make sure your watch is set to ship's time and then be there or be square!

Edited by BecciBoo
  • Like 1

24 minutes ago, hallux said:

Nothing but people shouldn't assume that they were drunk, irresponsible  or selfish. Sometimes uncontrollable situations happen.  Friends of mine who are seasoned cruisers ran into an issue in Rome. Their tour guide ditched them and they had to find transportation back to the ship. They lost a lot of time trying to hunt down the tour guide. They called the port and the ship waited for to return in a cab. This was not a ship sponsored tour. Which brings me to my question. How long will the ship wait if you are on a ship sponsored tour if something should delay the tour company?  

• Like 1

3 hours ago, irishgal432 said:

Maybe they had their passports with them.  I have seen where ships officers hand over passports to late arriving people that they have collected prior to leaving. 

Additionally, they will be charged the Jones Act fee when they return to Miami as well.

There was no violation of the PSA/Jones ACT.