SANCTUARY

gamblinmon

Hi I’m looking for opinions on the Sanctuary. My DH & I are going on a 10 day Caribbean cruise. Trying to decide if it’s worth it to race onto the ship to reserve chairs.

i appreciate everyone’s opinion/experience with the sanctuary 

Carolyn

It is for us on a Caribbean cruise (i.e., warm weather cruise) especially since we've already been to almost all the islands and may leave the ship for only a half day if at all.  We'd never even considered it for any other cruise (unpredictable or cold weather, port intensive with full day excursions, etc.).

It’s my “happy place” on warm weather cruises. I used to book balcony or mini-suite cabins but now I usually book inside or oceanview and then book the Sanctuary for the cruise. It’s my “balcony” for the cruise and gas attendants to bring me towels, pillows, drinks, etc. What’s not to like? 🙂 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Senga said:

On the Regal Princess March 24-31. My husband needs shade.  Is it always available in The Sanctuary?  Do you need to book a "specific" spot or do you just get what's available?

You book a specific spot.  That is one of the reasons it is advised to sign up as early as possible on embarkation day.

On 2/17/2019 at 10:54 AM, Gorilla Girl said:

We love the Sanctuary and always hurry to ensure we get a cabana for the sea days especially.  

F1C3BBAA-3223-4C37-BD33-0D893324EAB8.jpeg

ABA79E6D-DB70-45B5-BA49-94FF54D750CE.jpeg

I am not 100% sure but I believe these cabanas are only available on the "Royal" class ships like Royal, Regal, Magestic.  They are beautiful but out of my price range but we usually go straight there to book two lounges in the shade if they are available.

Kim 

32 minutes ago, Akaicb said:

I am not 100% sure but I believe these cabanas are only available on the "Royal" class ships like Royal, Regal, Magestic.  They are beautiful but out of my price range but we usually go straight there to book two lounges in the shade if they are available.

Kim 

They’re available on some other ships as well. Don’t know if they’re on all ships but they are definitely on some others.

When choosing a lounger, the most shade is at the very front and closest to mid-ship. That’s where I usually choose my lounger. If the ship is sailing into the sun, I have the attendants turn my lounger around so I’m facing the other way. 

17 hours ago, Senga said:

On the Regal Princess March 24-31. My husband needs shade.  Is it always available in The Sanctuary?  Do you need to book a "specific" spot or do you just get what's available?

It depends how you are booking.  If you are booking for the whole cruise, you will likely be booking the same lounges for the entire cruise.  The attendant who helps with the booking would help with the shaddy spots on a certain cruise.  

If you are booking for a couple of the days, you will get to reserve from what is left.

At the same time, besides beds being reserved there are also chair areas which are not reserved and he could go there and find a shaddy spot. 

In the pic below (Ruby) there are about 6 lounges under the large covered ceiling (area to the far left of pic 1 below).  Admittedly you cant see the lounges in the first pic.  Pic 2 has the lounges under that ceiling - it was shaded about 95 % of the time on our cruise.  You can also see the individual sets of chairs throughout the Sanctuary.  

20190128_122734.jpg

51503045_10217894707700203_6743381796144021504_o.jpg

16 minutes ago, camper49 said:

What is the cost?

For loungers:

For the full cruise: $30/day per person

For single day(s):  $40 per person

For half day(s) - 8 am - 12:30 pm or 1 pm - 5:30 pm:  $20 per person

For the pictured cabanas: $140/half day

https://www.princess.com/news/backgrounders_and_fact_sheets/factsheet/Guests-Can-Enjoy-the-Ultimate-in-Pampering-Aboard-Regal-Princess.html

Well OP asked if it's worth it, I've heard many say it is not.  For us however it's a must and is worth both the cost and the race to secure a favorite spot.  I do understand those who think the money is better spent elsewhere, to each his own.

We love being up there, regardless of weather, some of our favorite days were in Alaska with a think pile of blankets stacked up and icicles on our noses.  We generally try to secure space in the shady area.  If it's a bit too cool we'll move back to one of the unreserved chairs.  If the wind is blowing into our area on a given day we've asked to be moved to other unreserved loungers with no problem.  One thing that doesn't happen (and shouldn't happen) is someone else' reserved chairs made available for use - even temporarily - though I've heard many ask for this over the years.  The stewards are clearly trained to politely decline.  

It can be a mad scramble to get space in the Caribbean.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, EmilyColwell said:

These look absolutely stunning, how much is it for a cabana?

$140 per half day.  It includes other amenities in addition to those provided folks in the loungers: 

Sanctuary Cabanas – Within The Sanctuary, the Sanctuary Cabanas offer an even more exclusive and special experience with amenities such as a personal television with noise-reducing wireless headphones, cushy sofas, luxurious robe and slippers, a welcome cocktail, and healthy snacks including nuts, and dried and fresh fruit. The cabana also features a fully stocked mini-bar with refreshing waters and sodas, as well as a choice of alcoholic options, including beer or wine. Sanctuary Cabanas are available beginning at $140 for a half day.  (https://www.princess.com/news/backgrounders_and_fact_sheets/factsheet/Guests-Can-Enjoy-the-Ultimate-in-Pampering-Aboard-Regal-Princess.html)

12 minutes ago, voljeep said:

$140 - is that per person or for 2 ?  or more ?

I don't know since it is way out of our budget :classic_cool: but on our Royal Princess Caribbean 20 day B2B cruise in 2015 we reserved the regular Sanctuary loungers for the first 10 days and were asked by the manager if we intended to do the same on the next cruise.  When we replied yes he offered us a cabana without the cabana amenities (except the TV head sets which were of no interest us to us) for the same cost as the loungers!  It was lovely to always have a place in the shade regardless of the sun's direction.

21 minutes ago, voljeep said:

$140 - is that per person or for 2 ?  or more ?

I believe that they are also available for $220 for the entire day, and AFAIK it's per cabana, not per person. Not sure how they would handle trying to fit more than two persons in one, assuming they would even allow it.

15 minutes ago, Pickels said:

For those who have enjoyed the Sanctuary; was wind of any concern during sea days?  Thanks!

For us on Ruby last month, wind was never an issue.  The first pic below shows how most (not all) of the open areas are covered by glass.  Even when the ship was moving "top speed", I would never have called it more than a breeze. 

The only other "issue" and an area I would stay away from personally, is the area near the entrance, under the large solid overhang (pic 2).  It provides wonderful shade most of the time, yet the noise from the pool and hot tubs below tends to "funnel" directly through that area.  Without exaggeration, you could hear the conversation of the people below sitting around the pool, even if those people where speaking in a normal voice.  

We enjoyed every day of our cruise in the Sanctuary.  

the-sanctuary--v18624048-cc-576.jpg

c8f1cf68ae295e7c013acb7c6234b7cb--princess-cruise-adults-only.jpg

As to wind, I'll respectfully disagree.  We've had many days when the wind across the deck was probably 40+ mph and quite unpleasant.  Depending on direction, temperature and your position in the sanctuary you'll feel it to varying degrees.  

Keep in mind that, at least on the Grand class ships, the sanctuary was a distant afterthought.  Basically a way to squeeze money out of largely unused space.  It may be that wind blocking is better on the Royal class ships, I won't know until we sail one in September.

Now, as said elsewhere we're sanctuary lovers.  But windy - yeah somedays it really is.

• 1 month later...

I do have a question maybe someone can answer.

We were on the Coral Princess in Alaska for glacier bay day and we were able to order alcoholic beverages.

We'll be on the Regal Princess for the repo cruise in October - will/can alcoholic beverages be served ?  Or is each individual ship different?  Thanks

Love the santuary. We like the double loungers. Loved it on the crown. Did not do santuary on the royal. The deck they chose for the santuary was like being in hurricane winds!! Also very few in the shade. But just outside by the pool you could find lounge chairs. Lots of shade on the crown and carribean. But getting there was a maze. Going thru lotus spa around the pool up a flight of stairs