Wine

camper49

7 minutes ago, Aus Traveller said:

In 75 to 80 cruises since 1983, we have always found the water from the tap to be OK. We don't need to buy bottled water.

Each to their own.

On first cruise in 1969, bottled water was not available.

Many cruises later, we like to have bottled water in the cabin. 

Bizarre really, as we drink water in buffet, dining room, on deck and appreciate it is the same 'eau potable'  in the cabin. Just somehow unable to get head around drinking water from bathroom tap and too lazy to carry bottles down to cabin.

Most people are strange, some stranger than others!

• 2 weeks later...
On ‎2‎/‎17‎/‎2019 at 3:53 PM, Herring choker said:

If you are stopping in a port where you can purchase wine, we always bring a bottle each back on board. We have never had a problem. If you take it to the dining room they will probably charge you corkage but you can drink it in your room. 

Herring choker,

This is a game changer!! Please tell me this is true! Did security on the ship as you reboarded know it was wine or perhaps it slipped through as a water bottle?  

I am aware that we can bring 1 bottle of wine or champagne per adult at the beginning of the cruise but I've never heard that you can bring back additional bottles from the ports the ship visits. From some port stops I've brought back rum and tequila that they had to hold until the end of the cruise and I figured they'd do the same with ANY alcohol. Please tell me this has just been a well hidden secret for those of us who don't want to pay $50 for a $10 bottle of wine on the ship. 

Waiting with baited wine breath for your reply....LOL.   

We always bring 1 bottle per night for the MDR and pay the $15 corkage fee.  That way we can drink a nice bottle without paying the outrageous Cruise Line prices.  Plus we bring 1 bottle of Champagne or Prosecco each for morning Mimosa's on the balcony.  Always works out great.

Also recommend getting a case or 2 of bottled water pre-ordered and delivered to your stateroom.  Great price and very convenient for taking around the ship or on shore!

1 hour ago, Herring choker said:

I can’t speak to policy but our experience has been bringing a bottle each on board has not been a problem and no it wasn’t disguised as water. We’ve enjoyed many local wines with no fees unless you take it to the dining room. Hope it works for you!

We’ve had the same experience from ports in the Americas, Europe & New Zealand.  We never attempt to conceal the wine and the only comment we’ve received is nice bottle of wine from onboard security screeners.  We drink most of our wine in a dining room where we’re usually charged the $15 fee so we pay the fee either sooner or later unless drinking it in our cabin.

Princess knows that some passengers want to try local wines that are not on their wine list & thus will allow us to bring a bottle or two onboard that’s subject to the $15/bottle fee.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Grburkart said:

Personally, I wouldn’t take the chance of bringing wine bought from a port. It’s really not worth it. 

Glenn

D86751AA-4E93-4770-A648-1B08E2E5A89B.jpeg

That’s a personal decision but when they state that alcohol will be seized & held that’s been applied to liquor & not for wine which I’ve done many times & was allowed by security.

Edited by Astro Flyer

15 minutes ago, Astro Flyer said:

That’s a personal decision but when they state that alcohol will be seized & held that’s been applied to liquor & not for wine which I’ve done many times & was allowed by security.

My previous post photo was an excerpt from a CC post. This one is an excerpt from the passenger contract that we all have to acknowledge when we book a cruise. I didn’t make it up and it leaves little doubt about what their practice is. 

It’s a tad frustrating in that there are inconsistencies within a particular ship, or even a specific individual. If it’s allowed, then make it allowed for everybody. If their alcohol policy is antiquated then they need to change it. 

But in the meantime, I suppose, it’s buyer beware. 

Glenn

B5BF961D-EA17-4D78-89F3-C18114AC25AC.jpeg

7 minutes ago, Grburkart said:

My previous post photo was an excerpt from a CC post. This one is an excerpt from the passenger contract that we all have to acknowledge when we book a cruise. I didn’t make it up and it leaves little doubt about what their practice is. 

It’s a tad frustrating in that there are inconsistencies within a particular ship, or even a specific individual. If it’s allowed, then make it allowed for everybody. If their alcohol policy is antiquated then they need to change it. 

But in the meantime, I suppose, it’s buyer beware. 

Glenn

B5BF961D-EA17-4D78-89F3-C18114AC25AC.jpeg

I wasn’t questioning the policy you quoted but sharing my real world experiences.

Princess has other regulations that they do not enforce & agree that they should change policies they decide not to enforce so passengers can have consistent experiences.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Astro Flyer said:

I wasn’t questioning the policy you quoted but sharing my real world experiences.

Princess has other regulations that they do not enforce & agree that they should change policies they decide not to enforce so passengers can have consistent experiences.

Absolutely the case.  I have purchased and brought back wine from ports all over the world and never had an issue.  Sometimes I have been asked to pay the corkage on return to the ship, no problem, but usually not and I then pay corkage if and when I take the bottle to a restaurant.  Even then some waiters fill out the paperwork and others are just to busy to worry about it.

Glenn, you keep quoting policies but you have not sailed in over 40 years.  What actually happens in reality reflects how the crew deals with the passengers.  Most experienced Princess cruisers and I’m sure other lines as well could point out dozens of places where policies are written but not expressly followed.  By definition these should not impact either the safety or the comfort of the passengers but are more like the Officers who do not stop you for doing 70 in a 65mph zone.  You are technically breaking the law but rarely penalized for it.

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, wheezedr said:

Glenn, you keep quoting policies but you have not sailed in over 40 years.  What actually happens in reality reflects how the crew deals with the passengers.  Most experienced Princess cruisers and I’m sure other lines as well could point out dozens of places where policies are written but not expressly followed.  By definition these should not impact either the safety or the comfort of the passengers but are more like the Officers who do not stop you for doing 70 in a 65mph zone.  You are technically breaking the law but rarely penalized for it.

I 100% agree with you and by me not cruising for a very long time means I only have policy to go by.

To go one step further, I’ll ask when I’m onboard if bringing wine from port will be allowed (for consumption). 

The shore excursions I have booked are centered around wine tasting and culinary events. So IF the ship folks will allow it, I’m sure I’ll partake in bringing wine aboard but in the meantime I’ll plan my activities around the policies in place. It is unfortunate that we have to rely on their inconsistencies.

Glenn

3 hours ago, ZuzusPetals said:

Herring choker,

This is a game changer!! Please tell me this is true! Did security on the ship as you reboarded know it was wine or perhaps it slipped through as a water bottle?  

I am aware that we can bring 1 bottle of wine or champagne per adult at the beginning of the cruise but I've never heard that you can bring back additional bottles from the ports the ship visits. From some port stops I've brought back rum and tequila that they had to hold until the end of the cruise and I figured they'd do the same with ANY alcohol. Please tell me this has just been a well hidden secret for those of us who don't want to pay $50 for a $10 bottle of wine on the ship. 

Waiting with baited wine breath for your reply....LOL.   

No Secret! This has been out there on posts for years. We took 3 cases on our cruise last fall.

Here is a thread on cases of wine from last fall. There is a link in the thread to a doc I put together on all the info I gathered.

LINK

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, Herring choker said:

Are you and Cheryl on this cruise??? We shared the captain's table dinner with you on the Circle Pacific. There are at least 4 other couples from last fall's cruise. Hope to see you! Reta & Tom

Our next cruise is the Royal coastal May 4th. Didn't see the cruise reference here.

That was one over the top dinner wasn't it! We are doing another UBD and a wine taster's dinner on the one above.

Edited by TheRabbit

1 hour ago, Grburkart said:

It is unfortunate that we have to rely on their inconsistencies.

Glenn

But fortunately their “inconsistencies” I’ve experienced have benefited passengers due to lenient enforcement so I’m not complaining. ☺️

Even though it’d be better for me to have clearly stated rules which are applied, I’m okay with them being reasonable by allowing us to bring wine from ports & being subject to the $15 fee.  Their wine policies are the best I’ve experienced on other cruise lines & it’s one reason why Princess still provides my best overall cruise experience for what I’m paying.

• Like 1