Chocolate souvenirs

Russian chocolate and candies are very good, but a bit of an acquired taste - they love darker chocolate and all sorts of nut-based, praline, and alcohol fillings.

For best selection (and prices locals would pay), go to one of Alyonka (Alonka) stores - there is one on Nevsky. Apart from mass-produced stuff (which is still very, very good), they also have a small section of expensive handmade confectionery.

For "souvenir" chocolate, there's a privately owned "Museum of Chocolate", also on Nevsky - not much of a museum, more of a glorified candy store selling all sorts of weird and kitchy sculptures (like a bust of Putin, for instance) made of chocolate. Can't vouch for the quality of their chocolate, though.

Estonian chocolate is also good, with wide range of choices and beautiful boxes.

We sampled the chocolate in every port on our last tour, and my favourite was the Estonian chocolate in Tallinn -- and not just the chocolate bars. The hot chocolate we had in a little cafe was amazing. This time, I want to try the chocolate truffle-making workshop at Kalev's Rotermann Quarter shop:

https://kalev.eu/en/kauplused/kalevi-sokolaadipood-ja-meistrikoda-rotermanni-kvartalis-2/

(which will also give us an excuse to wander away from the Old Town and see the trendy, modern Tallinn).

In St Petersburg, you can also look at the official shops of Krupskaya factory. There are a few around the city, just ask your guide is there is one on your way. Also very good chocolate.

I don't see if you are going to be in Sweden - probably not. But if you are there, my favorite is Swedish Marabou chocolate (yummm...)

My sister brought back chocolate from Moscow and she was rationing them carefully. She'd not even the chocoholic in the family, me and another of my sisters are. They were delicious but different though I found myself wanting more. I am hopeless when it comes to chocolate. :D

As described above, darker chocolate but a lot of european chocolate and/or finer chocolate tends to be and the chocolate also tasted a bit nutty but in a subtle delicate way. I'd almost say, and I have a terrific, fun Russian friend from a former Central Asian Soviet Republic and lived near the part of Brooklyn that gradually become popular with a growing Russian community so I got to be very fond and familiar with the culture - music, food,. decor etc... so that when I tasted the chocolate I thought, yes....this tastes Russian.

My sister was there for a NASA trip she organized and she was busy meeting space people so I'm fairly certain she only had time to grab souvenir shopping type chocolate. I don't know if she'd even get excited about fancy chocolate here - possibly, within reason. She's such a scientist.

Probably a great idea for some souvenirs for people!

• Haha 1

Alenka is an umbrella brand for over a dozen Russian confectionary manufacturers. If you do find the time to visit one of Alyonka stores, you might want to have a general idea of what you're getting before you go, as their selection is pretty mind-blowing - they have easily several hundred different kinds of candy and chocolate.

Their site is in Russian, but sort of self-explanatory (and then, there is always Google translate):

https://shop.alenka.ru

Edited by napoxoguk

The better chocolate in Copenhagen would be Anthon Berg or Bogø Chocolade. 

A more popular brand, but also more meh on the tasting barometer would be Toms. 

They have some good ones like Guldbar, Guldkaramel and Skildpadde (turtle) that are worth trying out. 

But Anthon Berg and Bogø is clearly the superior brand even though they are actually owned by Toms. 

Edited by Danish viking

• 3 weeks later...

If you are visiting Tallinn, I highly recommend the marzipan. The painted marzipan is incredibly detailed and makes for great gifts. Info here: http://estonianworld.com/business/estonian-marzipan-painters-keep-centuries-old-tradition-alive/

You can even visit the Kalev marzipan factory/museum if so moved. 

https://www.visitestonia.com/en/kalev-marzipan-museum-room

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 3/20/2019 at 10:32 PM, dogs4fun said:

If you are visiting Tallinn, I highly recommend the marzipan. The painted marzipan is incredibly detailed and makes for great gifts. Info here: http://estonianworld.com/business/estonian-marzipan-painters-keep-centuries-old-tradition-alive/

You can even visit the Kalev marzipan factory/museum if so moved. 

https://www.visitestonia.com/en/kalev-marzipan-museum-room

Marzipan in Tallinn is great. They also have marzipan workshops, and I think it would be fun to try. I am still hoping to do that, and you can check on it, if you have time.

Another vote for the Marzipan shop in Old Tallinn.  We brought back a mixed gift box.  There is also a caramel shop in Porvoo, Finland that is very good and a passenger even brought a small suitcase to take home caramels!  

DSC05874.JPG

DSC05873.JPG

DSC05871.JPG

DSC05869.JPG

DSC05868.JPG

DSC05880.JPG