Cruise Critic Community
goldgirl2

Why is the hump a favorite stateroom?

We are in a hump JS. Not by choice, but because it was the only midship room available. It seem like it will be noisy being near the elevator with a lot of traffic. 

Not noisy at all.  Very convenient to the elevators and stairs and a more dramatic view from the balcony.

8 minutes ago, nelblu said:

Usually, hump cabins provide larger balconies.

True on Radiance and Oasis class.  False on Voyager and Freedom class.

Just now, Host Clarea said:

True on Radiance and Oasis class.  False on Voyager and Freedom class.

That is why I mentioned usually.  Also, applies to the Quantum class.

We had one last year on the Freedom for the first time and enjoyed the view from the balcony.  Our cabin also had a little extra space from the edge of the bed to the sliding door that leads to the balcony.  The balcony itself was not any larger than what we've had in the past.  We did not experience any noise issues from the elevator.  We have already booked a hump balcony for our next 2 cruises, Oasis in 2 weeks and the Freedom for March 2020.

Edited by JeffT237

1 minute ago, dani negreanu said:

I'm a big fan of "humps" in Radiance class. Quiet, near the elevators, unobstructed views.

And noisy emanating form the Centrum.

1 minute ago, nelblu said:

And noisy emanating form the Centrum.

NOT in all our 4 Radiance class cruises.... There is a wall,  and the doors were always closed after 9PM.

I'm a very light sleeper.

I love a hump cabin.  It's not any noisier than other cabin locations but is very close to the elevator & stairs - making it really easy to get anywhere you want to be.  Also the views from the balcony are great in either direction.

They close the doors because of the noise!  Had the first one on the Raduance years ago and found the noise a pain.  Also people got off the elevator and stop and chat just outside the first hump cabin before heading to their own cabins.  That said, the balcony us nice.

17 minutes ago, njkruzer said:

They close the doors because of the noise!  Had the first one on the Raduance years ago and found the noise a pain.  Also people got off the elevator and stop and chat just outside the first hump cabin before heading to their own cabins.  That said, the balcony us nice.

Even with the doors closed if there's a show in the Atrium, the noise level is uncomfortable as the noise comes via the Centrum and the elevators.  Had #9078 on the Serenade and had to beg to find us a different cabin. 

3 minutes ago, nelblu said:

Even with the doors closed if there's a show in the Atrium, the noise level is uncomfortable as the noise comes via the Centrum and the elevators.  Had #9078 on the Serenade and had to beg to find us a different cabin. 

Well, now I understand about the noise you're mentioning.... I'm always booking Starboard -- there is the wall, and beside, only the pax occupying the few hump cabins pass through. Think 8594.

2 minutes ago, dani negreanu said:

Well, now I understand about the noise you're mentioning.... I'm always booking Starboard -- there is the wall, and beside, only the pax occupying the few hump cabins pass through. Think 8594.

What made it so much worse, it was right after the refurb of the Serenade and they added extra speakers in the Centrum for sound effect.  Plus it was on a 12 nite Mediterranean cruise and many tours are in the 9-10 hours range and begin at 7-7:30 am and the shows in the Centrum went as late as 1-1:30 AM.  I remember one show was an aerial with singing and when the song reached a crescendo, it almost knocked me out of bed.  For our aggravation, each of us received $800 in future cruise credit and almost paid for a Central Park balcony on Oasis.:classic_smile:

7 minutes ago, molly361 said:

Also not a fan of hump cabins on the radiance class. Way to noisy. 

I agree, would never book hump on Radiance class again.

6 hours ago, goldgirl2 said:

We are on the Freedom. Hopefully it will be quiet. 

The hump on the Freedom is perfect for location and not loud. Not a bigger balcony though. 

We booked a hump cabin for the first time on Adventure of the Seas. Cabin 8316 I was reluctant but our travel agent raved about it. Anyone stay in this location on Adventure? Pros and cons?

Thanks!

Just now, smokeykat said:

We booked a hump cabin for the first time on Adventure of the Seas. Cabin 8316 I was reluctant but our travel agent raved about it. Anyone stay in this location on Adventure? Pros and cons?

Thanks!

Don't know of any cons.