Tuxedo Rental or Purchase?

Grburkart

First of all, please, please, please do not turn this thread into a formal night debate. It’s not about that. 

Later this year I will be on the Emerald in which there are 4 formal dinners, and towards the end of 2020 and into 2021 I will be on the Diamond in which there will be 8 formal dinners. 

There comes a line of when to purchase a tuxedo vs. renting one. 

Rentals come complete with accessories such as a bow tie, cuff links and shirt “buttons” (studs). Shoes, shirts as well as a handkerchief, etc.. To purchase a tuxedo and all the goodies would take a good sum of money. My estimate would be twice the money I would spend on two cruises worth of rentals. 

Can I even get a nice Tuxedo for a thousand dollars?  

I don’t have a lot of use for one outside of cruising. But if I get the cruise bug, then I can justify it. Same story with a regular suit. I’ve thought of that too. 

Thoughts please. 

Glenn

4 minutes ago, Grburkart said:

First of all, please, please, please do not turn this thread into a formal night debate. It’s not about that. 

Later this year I will be on the Emerald in which there are 4 formal dinners, and towards the end of 2020 and into 2021 I will be on the Diamond in which there will be 8 formal dinners. 

There comes a line of when to purchase a tuxedo vs. renting one. 

Rentals come complete with accessories such as a bow tie, cuff links and shirt “buttons” (studs). Shoes, shirts as well as a handkerchief, etc.. To purchase a tuxedo and all the goodies would take a good sum of money. My estimate would be twice the money I would spend on two cruises worth of rentals. 

Can I even get a nice Tuxedo for a thousand dollars?  

I don’t have a lot of use for one outside of cruising. But if I get the cruise bug, then I can justify it. Same story with a regular suit. I’ve thought of that too. 

Thoughts please. 

Glenn

Have you checked the rental out for onboard?

They leave it on your cabin so its ready when you board and you leave to there when you depart.

Just now, Colo Cruiser said:

Have you checked the rental out for onboard?

They leave it on your cabin so its ready when you board and you leave to there when you depart.

Yes. That was my source for for pricing. The Emerald quote was around $200.00 for 22 days. 

Glenn

1 minute ago, oskidunker said:

You should be able to do it for under $500. Check around. Nordstrom, Macy’s or here is a link for under $300. https://www.menswearhouse.com/formalwear/tuxedos

Thank you for the link. 

When you add up everything, shirts, shoes, ties, etc. It’ll add up in a hurry. 

Glenn

Glenn check the online sellers of uniform tuxes for maitre d’s.

They look just like what you pay a lot more for and wear like iron.

I paid $139, yes $139 a few months ago for tux, cummerbund, shirt, tie, complete for my recent Cunard transatlantic.

No reason to rent at these prices!

• Like 1

If you plan to enjoy several other cruises than what you have planned in the future, buying a good quality tux and accessories is what I would recommend.  Wearing a suit like that so rarely, a good quality tux will serve you well.  I own 3 tuxes.  The original one, purchased in 2002, I have outgrown.  For my world cruise, I purchased an inexpensive JCPenney tux, as a back-up, in case something happened to Tux #1.  I now have a tux that was tailored made for me at a very reasonable price in comparison to off-the-shelf garments that fit poorly and were not cheap.  This tux will last me for the rest of my cruising career.  I view it as an investment that has "an annual return" for as long as I am able to continue cruising.

I'd suggest shopping for a formal shirt--without wing collars, those seem to be out of fashion from what I have seen--that has buttons as well as the opportunity to use studs, if so desired.

8 minutes ago, rkacruiser said:

If you plan to enjoy several other cruises than what you have planned in the future, buying a good quality tux and accessories is what I would recommend.  Wearing a suit like that so rarely, a good quality tux will serve you well.  I own 3 tuxes.  The original one, purchased in 2002, I have outgrown.  For my world cruise, I purchased an inexpensive JCPenney tux, as a back-up, in case something happened to Tux #1.  I now have a tux that was tailored made for me at a very reasonable price in comparison to off-the-shelf garments that fit poorly and were not cheap.  This tux will last me for the rest of my cruising career.  I view it as an investment that has "an annual return" for as long as I am able to continue cruising.

I'd suggest shopping for a formal shirt--without wing collars, those seem to be out of fashion from what I have seen--that has buttons as well as the opportunity to use studs, if so desired.

Thank you for your input!

i am a bigger guy (not tall) so anything department store(ish) is suspect and I’m relegated to the “big and tall” shops. 

Also, it’s a problem as you mention, the styling issue rears it’s ugly head. Trying to stay in style presents a situation. The tuxedo itself would probably be ok. Just the hardware that’ll need change out. 

Glenn

Big question? Why a tux.  Have done over 20 Princess Cruises.  Have always been comfortable and appropriate in a nice dark suit.  Bring a variety of shirts and ties to alter the look.  Can also wear those suits for other occasions at home where they are appropriate but a Tux would not be.  Consulted with the DW and we both agree that Tux wear is maybe 20% of the gentlemen on board.  Princess remains a holdover of formal wear lines but even on it’s cruises the level of formality has declined.  Do not want to disappoint you but many of your fellow male passengers may not even wear coats and ties.  My point simply is that a Tux is fine but not necessary.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, wheezedr said:

Big question? Why a tux.  Have done over 20 Princess Cruises.  Have always been comfortable and appropriate in a nice dark suit.  Bring a variety of shirts and ties to alter the look.  Can also wear those suits for other occasions at home where they are appropriate but a Tux would not be.  Consulted with the DW and we both agree that Tux wear is maybe 20% of the gentlemen on board.  Princess remains a holdover of formal wear lines but even on it’s cruises the level of formality has declined.  Do not want to disappoint you but many of your fellow male passengers may not even wear coats and ties.  My point simply is that a Tux is fine but not necessary.

The guy wants to wear a tux. He made it very clear that he wants to wear a tux.

• Like 6

4 minutes ago, wheezedr said:

Tuxedos are just downright cool. They look good, they feel good, the ladies love a well dressed man. Also, a nice tuxedo will cover the fact that I wear a Timex. 

I’m also weighing in about a suit but... meh. For sure, a suit would have more functionality but for my purposes I’ll go with the tux. 

Glenn

• Like 4

12 minutes ago, wheezedr said:

I don't think Glenn is worried what others think about his attire.  

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, bemis12 said:

The guy wants to wear a tux. He made it very clear that he wants to wear a tux.

Actually you are misrepresenting his original post in which he said in his last comment that he was also considering a suit.  He has since replied that a Tux is his choice.  I had no problems with his choice but was simply offering additional options.  Might help you to read his original post slowly.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I got caught up in this as well and bought a tux online.  Used it once.  It sat in the closet.  Looking at packing choices I decided I needed more for flexible mix and match clothing.  The Tux on top of regular suits/blazers and dress pants was too much.

The tux got donated last year along with a couple of suits.  My casual blazers that I can pair with dressy slacks or jeans get used the most these days.

I need to reminisce briefly because I was reading that the difference between a tuxedo and a suit is the presence of satin. 

Back in the mid 70’s I had a satin shirt and tight satin pants, lol, and dancing to what was the beginning of the disco era. Gee, the memories!

Sorry for the interruption.

Glenn

• Haha 1

8 minutes ago, zalusky said:

I got caught up in this as well and bought a tux online.  Used it once.  It sat in the closet.  Looking at packing choices I decided I needed more for flexible mix and match clothing.  The Tux on top of regular suits/blazers and dress pants was too much.

The tux got donated last year along with a couple of suits.  My casual blazers that I can pair with dressy slacks or jeans get used the most these days.

Colo Cruiser makes a good point to the rental side of things in that it eliminates the packing scenario. 

Glenn

Thats the dilemma it appears cheaper to buy if you use it more than a couple of times but then you have a lot of clothes to lug around especially if you go to a varied climate.  My personal decision mirrors the cruise industry is to say goodbye to formal formal nights.  If it was a New Years/Holiday cruise I might consider renting but outside of that it's mix and match.

My extremely inexpensive tux that I was referencing is very timeless and traditionally styled, and like you Glenn I am rather large.

The place I used lets you select the exact size of every piece in the package, so I could get just what I needed and avoid a cheap ill fitting look.

• Like 1

We just concluded a cruise on the Coral Princess.  Brought tux and gowns.  Very disappointed that there is no dress code enforcement whatsoever, and you may be dining next to a guy in jeans, a cheap blazer, and tee shirt.  

• Like 3

3 hours ago, bobnfl said:

Shop on line. If you know your sizes you can get a tuxedo for a lot less than 1k. I bought my dinner jacket 3 years ago for less than $100.

I've  been adding to my ensemble over the years.  Waist line shrinks ... waist line grows. Styles change. I've found that purchasing has been a savings.  Never know when ya might need one. ... or two ... or three.

27 minutes ago, don731 said:

We just concluded a cruise on the Coral Princess.  Brought tux and gowns.  Very disappointed that there is no dress code enforcement whatsoever, and you may be dining next to a guy in jeans, a cheap blazer, and tee shirt.  

A hundred or so years ago I worked as a rooms division manager at a resort in the Canadian Rockies. We catered, in a big way, to the Japanese people. They are beautiful people, very customary and very traditional. 

I tell you that story to tell you this...

I will be on the Diamond Princess next year and a large portion of the passengers will be Japanese. So much that princess mentions it in their notes on the specific cruise website. I will attach a screenshot of it so forgive me if it’s too small to read. 

Anyway, knowing the Japanese people like I know them, there is no way I won’t be dressed up for our formal dinners. All eight of them to be exact. Lol

Japanese formal wear is beautiful!

GlennFCBD2B76-6D34-4301-BD4A-FAC2051E284A.thumb.jpeg.e40d0bdabe827b8029accec5b643078a.jpeg

• Like 1