Help about to lose me as a costumer very upset

Rjh8842

Neither of the kids going are your children correct?  That's the issue.  We tried to do this with a larger party with my son's friends and I was so worried about getting incorrect information that I posted on here 2x and spoke with 4 different agents--received 3 different answers from RCCL agents, btw!  If the kids are under 21, there needs to be an over 21 in the room UNLESS one of the kids is your child or you are the legal guardian--in that case they can be next door (whether adjoining or not) or RIGHT across the hall.

I asked if the reservation policy would catch it if we were doing it incorrectly and was told no--the reservation can be made, and then once reviewed cancelled if it doesn't follow the rules exactly.  I actually asked for a supervisor to OK the arrangements--while I waited 40 min on line!

So sorry this happened...definitely email corporate and see if they can do something about OBC when you are in one room.  They never should have let you book 2 rooms.

I am sure this is extremely frustrating for you, as you have been excited about this vacation for awhile. However if you had known what the actual policy was at the beginning it sounds like you would have made another vacation choice.  I think that is what you should do now.  

You seem hung hung up on the square footage when the pricing is based more on the number of people and the category of room.  If you tried to book 4 people in one room and compare it to two rooms, you will usually find you are not paying that much more for the two rooms.  The room price does not stay the same as you add more people. 

It sounds like you generously want to spend time with your nieces and nephew, but you were going to bump the nephew into the other room to have your privacy.  I do not think there will be any solution on Royal Caribbean that will make you happy. Personally, I think you should invest your time positively in finding a vacation that will meet your requirements.  It is a bummer to lose a non refundable deposit.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, er345 said:

I am sure this is extremely frustrating for you, as you have been excited about this vacation for awhile. However if you had known what the actual policy was at the beginning it sounds like you would have made another vacation choice.  I think that is what you should do now.  

You seem hung hung up on the square footage when the pricing is based more on the number of people and the category of room.  If you tried to book 4 people in one room and compare it to two rooms, you will usually find you are not paying that much more for the two rooms.  The room price does not stay the same as you add more people. 

It sounds like you generously want to spend time with your nieces and nephew, but you were going to bump the nephew into the other room to have your privacy.  I do not think there will be any solution on Royal Caribbean that will make you happy. Personally, I think you should invest your time positively in finding a vacation that will meet your requirements.  It is a bummer to lose a non refundable deposit.

^ ^ ^ ^ ^ 

This... So sorry this happened to you. These guardian/adult rules are complicated...

I'd call back and email calmly - the main thing you are hoping to achieve here is traveling with your niece and nephew which I think is a great tradition!  Don't fuss about OBC, ask what options are available for your situation and appeal to the fact you booked in 2017 and they only just discovered this after you repeatedly had confirmed you would be fine.  But even if they won't budge, find a cabin that works, especially if it comes with suite perks, and just have a great trip!  I don't think any line would let you do this.  Land based vacations are different, hotels rarely check who is in what room especially if an adult checks in - sometimes I'm asked but that's less frequent than not but cruises are different and they can't risk bending on rules like this.  I completely get they don't usually play well with extended family or wanting to take kids' friends, heck do grandparents always have to book grandkids in the same room with them?  But at the end of the day, find a way to make this happen and then make the best of it!  

I'm not sure if this will work as I have never done this and I don't know the rules associated with doing so, but can somebody let me know if this would work?  When you bring one of your kids on a cruise, you need to fill out the papers that give them permission to travel with you without their legal guardian.  Could you do those same papers for your niece and nephew?  If so, then would they allow them to be in the stateroom next to yours?  Either way, your best bet is probably to email corp and they can find a better solution.

Here's what I would do.

First, I don't necessarily agree with your stance, but commend you on standing up for yourself.

Second, if you totally cancel, the only entity being harmed are your nieces and nephew.

accept the best they offer,,, go on the cruise with the kids, have a great time, then after the cruise do what you have to do.

1 hour ago, Rjh8842 said:

Who excactly is mbaylay? Also if you have contacted them before How long should I expect for a response? Should I wait for a response from them before trying to call royal again? Tia

mbayley@rccl.com is the company president. In the past when I have sent an email to him, someone from corporate has called me within 24 hours and they have always been very helpful.

Pete

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Allura_317 said:

I'm not sure if this will work as I have never done this and I don't know the rules associated with doing so, but can somebody let me know if this would work?  When you bring one of your kids on a cruise, you need to fill out the papers that give them permission to travel with you without their legal guardian.  Could you do those same papers for your niece and nephew?  If so, then would they allow them to be in the stateroom next to yours?  Either way, your best bet is probably to email corp and they can find a better solution.

Read back through the posts...it must be Legal Guardian....travel permission  forms do not work.

image.thumb.png.2b57c76b168a5c116eb4a7fccc35bc84.pngThe issue here is that the children are minors and you are NOT the legal guardian! It certainly isn't Royal's fault for implementing the policy that they have had in place for quite some time. Since these children are not over the age of 21 and you are not the legal guardian, then you must stay in the same cabin...period. 

image.thumb.png.1e9719b6d7ae4d2e040e20fce623ee13.png 

image.png

Edited by MrsKC08

8 hours ago, kerryincork said:

It is not logical to allow nieces in the same room as you but not in adjoining cabin?

Children can't be in a cabin that is not supervised by an adult. Adjoining rooms do not count as the same room. They can be in a room with her but not on their own in a separate room. Its been a policy forever and will continue to be one.

Silly me.  I'm going to be logical.  Logic does not always work with Royal Caribbean.

Adjoining cabins, with the door open, are for all intents and purposes, one large cabin. 

For supervisory purposes, you are all together. 

I agree, write to mbayley@rccl.com and present this "logical" argument.

Good luck.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Merion_Mom said:

Silly me.  I'm going to be logical.  Logic does not always work with Royal Caribbean.

Adjoining cabins, with the door open, are for all intents and purposes, one large cabin. 

For supervisory purposes, you are all together. 

I agree, write to mbayley@rccl.com and present this "logical" argument.

Good luck.

They have no guarantee you will keep the door open the entire trip. Its too much of a liability for them. Something like this, which has been a rule for decades at this point, is not something Royal is likely to budge on. I do think they should be treating OP a little better (as long as the booking agent being referred to is from Royal) because it was their fault. She shouldn't have to pay more for their mistake. However, if the "booking agent" were a regular travel agent then Royal is acting fine and in accordance to their policies

We cruise Royal for their product not their customer service because frankly they suck at it. Especially if something goes wrong they are terrible at “making it right.” 

I would do as as others have suggested and email the president and calmly explain in detail your story and ask for a resolution. 

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, parrotfeathers said:

Does this rule apply to all cruise lines?

One time on Princess we booked two interior rooms because it was actually less expensive than booking us all into one room. My sons were 13 and 16 at the time. The rooms were next to each other but not  adjoining. The rule was at that time could have changed since then, that one passenger in the room had to be at least 16 years of age.  I booked the boys in one room and my wife and myself in the other room. The OP isn't the legal guardian in this case so that's the issue.

Edited by Iamcruzin

7 hours ago, Biker19 said:

Move one adult on paper into the other cabin and one of the kids into yours - should cost nothing. 

Would have thought that was the only way to do this anyway, since kids underage can’t be in their own cabin.  They won’t check to see who is sleeping where.

Ah, I see one adult 3 children and none the adults equals a problem.

jc

Edited by xpcdoojk

28 minutes ago, xpcdoojk said:

Would have thought that was the only way to do this anyway, since kids underage can’t be in their own cabin.  They won’t check to see who is sleeping where.

Ah, I see one adult 3 children and none the adults equals a problem.

jc

Underage kids can be in their own cabin as long as the cabin is adjacent to or directly across the hall from the parents.  We’ve booked this way for the past 5 years.  You have to call to book this way as you can’t do it on the website.