Alaska with Kids

LG55

Hi Everyone!  

I need advice on best line to go on with kids.  I've read on here that you go to see the views of Alaska, but I know there are some times that we will want the kids to go to the Kids' Club on board.  My kids will be 8 and 6 next July/August when we go.  I've thought about Disney, but that seems really expensive and not the best use of a Disney or an Alaska cruise.  I've looked into Princess, but a friend said they went on one and the kids' club was so poorly staffed, the 4-12 yos were put in with the preschoolers.  So, is that a one time fluke?  We will definitely be there to see the sights, but I don't want a miserable club experience when we do want to use it.  What other lines would be better and kid-friendly?  

We've only been on one cruise before, so we are still pretty new to cruising.  That one was booked for us for a family reunion, so I also don't know the best time to book.  Any other tips?  Thank you!!!

We go with Holland America most of the time. My son is grown and gone but those I've talked to about the kid's club have raved about it. I know when we are in the glaciers there is a junior ranger club with the park ranger that comes on. 

Karen

Even though we live in Alaska we still do Alaska cruises periodically as it gives us an excuse to visit another part of our very large state.  But it seems to me that so many of the Alaska itineraries are on the port intensive side, and also attract families.  I suspect that you will find a number of kids on most of these cruises.

If you are in Skagway be aware that the National Park Service has a Junior Ranger Activity Center located in the old Pantheon Saloon.  There is more information on the Klondike National Park website (www.nps.gov/klgo)

My family sailed to Alaska on Carnival and folks asked us this kind of question before we left so on the way back I decided to let my 10 year old answer. If people wanted to know about Alaska for kids, why not ask a kid I figure?

Spoiler: He really enjoyed sailing there with Carnival

We are going to Alaska this summer on Princess and my kids will be 6 and 8 as well. We've only done a short cruise so far on Princess with the kids but they did not combine the kids then. Both were in the 3-7 group then (my oldest turns 8 days before our upcoming cruise). From what I've read, they typically do not combine the groups. The younger kids do a LOT of crafts, which my kids loved. They LOVED the kids club and mention it almost daily. Our cruise was about 6 months ago.

We will be going on Royal Caribbean Ovation of the Seas in August.  I have a 9 yr old and 5 yr old.  We decided on this ship because there is plenty to do to keep the kids entertained.  They have the kids club, which my oldest has enjoyed on the last two cruises.  This one also has the bumper cars, roller skating, gaming consoles, iFly, etc.  It is definitely one to consider.  We considered Norwegian Bliss because it is their newest, with a go-kart track on top of the ship.  I was concerned, however, that weather would prevent the use of this feature a fair amount.  We are familiar with Royal Caribbean and I like that most of the features we will use on this ship for the kids are indoors.

If it's of any interest, the NCL Bliss has a very good itinerary, including Glacier Bay and 3 Alaskan ports (Juneau, Skagway, Ketchikan), as well as the obligatory Victoria, BC, stop.

In contrast, RCCL Ovation of the Seas has a very inferior itinerary, with only 2 Alaskan ports (Juneau and Skagway), Victoria, and Endicott Arm, which does not provide the extensive glacier viewing nor the wildlife that is often seen in Glacier Bay.

We've taken our son on quite a few RCCL's cruises....two of them were on the RCCL Radiance to Alaska.  He was 6 and then again when he was 10.  He loved the Adventure Ocean on the Radiance of the Seas.  They had family time in the solarium pool I think two times per day.  Those times were listed in the Cruise Compass.  Also the Radiance offered Adventure Dining every night except the first night.  He wanted to do those every single night.  If you aren't familiar with Adventure Dining, you sign them up for it during the day and then there's a drop off time like around 5:00 pm I think.  You pre-select what their entree will be.  For the Radiance, the staff took the kids to a private room off the Windjammer buffet.  They had dinner with them and then took them back for the evening activities at Adventure Ocean.  Our son loved it.  He did not want us picking him up early.  So each night I think he was there until 10:00 pm. 

As far as Alaska, we selected tours that were 3 hours or less.  We let him bring his DS game and headphones in case he got bored.  We tried to select a variety of tours.  One whale watch, one float plane, one gold mine tour, etc.  He had a great time and so did we. 

The only time he did not like Adventure Ocean was once on the Jewel of the Seas (Canada New England cruise).  And that was probably a staff member issue.  There was one child who misbehaved and all the kids were denied their ice cream dessert at dinner time.  Surely they have remedied their behavior policy by now.  I have never heard of them withholding dessert from everyone except that one particular cruise. 

I might add, I am not sure if they still offer Adventure Dining or not.  I hope so.  Our kiddo loved it. 

Have fun on your trip!  We are getting ready for our 3rd trip up there.  This time our son will be 14 so we have a teenager along.