How much sun do you get on your aft balcony?

Rach257

I've had a regular balcony before, but this summer will by my first time with an aft extended balcony (eeeeee!!!). We are sailing on the Sunrise....what do you guys think about getting a tan out there on a lounger? Do you think the balcony glass is at too much of an angle to let the sun in enough to lay out? If I don't have to fight for a lounger on Lido and can get a killer tan on my balcony, I may never leave....

• Haha 1

We're booked in our first aft balcony on the Sunrise in July. I'm hoping there will be some shade provided by the Lido deck above us--we're on Deck 8--and I'm planning to ask for a fan from the room steward to give us some breeze.

Edited by SRQbeachgirl
Deck #

We had aft balcony on deck 8, Sunshine September of 2015.  No breeze, no shade. No joy.  I'll never do aft balcony again.  It didn't help that we didn't do our research before booking, and the deck directly above had loud thumping salsa music until 2-3am every night.We're more early risers, not so much on late nighters.

Have done 3 aft balconies .Yes it can get hot & yes there is little breeze but you can lay out & get a tan .What we do is bring one of those bottles that you can spray yourself with . Also the balconies are large & there will be some shade if you sit near the balcony door but again it will be warm. I like sitting out there watching the wake 

A Vista Balcony is one of the best cabins at sea.  Was in one on The Legend.  Wrap around balcony could easily hold 20+ people.  Cabin had 4 rooms.  Bathroom had double granite sinks.  Full tub and shower.   Great cabin but must book a long ways in advance.   Really great for Alaska but not sure if it would be worth it for the Caribbean. But if you are looking for a private place to get a tan would be perfect.

I found this nifty little site... https://www.suncalc.org/

Enter date/city and you will get the track of the sun for that day.

What it showed is that in July the sun will be just south of the ship from late morning to late afternoon the sun will be in the south.

What this means is that while the ship is travelling south from NY the aft will not be in direct sun.  Travelling north you will have direct sun.

2 hours ago, iria64 said:

I found this nifty little site... https://www.suncalc.org/

Enter date/city and you will get the track of the sun for that day.

What it showed is that in July the sun will be just south of the ship from late morning to late afternoon the sun will be in the south.

What this means is that while the ship is travelling south from NY the aft will not be in direct sun.  Travelling north you will have direct sun.

Wow!!!! This is AWESOME! And I am really thankful you broke it down for me too cuz I'd sitting here like "...ok...so when we are going south the sun will be...wait...wait..when we are going...oh gosh..wait..." LOL I get confused easily. Thank you again! so cool!

We loved the size and the view but it does get hot. I did not think the heat was from the sun as much as from a lack of a breeze.  I also thought you could feel the movement of the ship a little more than a mid ship balcony. All said I would not hesitate to book another aft balcony in the future. Enjoy !

5 hours ago, Rach257 said:

Wow!!!! This is AWESOME! And I am really thankful you broke it down for me too cuz I'd sitting here like "...ok...so when we are going south the sun will be...wait...wait..when we are going...oh gosh..wait..." LOL I get confused easily. Thank you again! so cool!

Hi

Just thought I would mention, you can find loungers all over the ship, not just on the Lido deck. There is no reason to struggle finding a lounger. If the sun isn't shining on your balcony, just go on deck. You don't have to overthink it.

have a great cruise