Cruise Program on TV Tonight

bee-ess

Pretty sure Iona isn't the same size as the Seaside..

We meant to watch this but missed it, will have to watch on catch up. We sailed on the MSC Meraviglia last year and the ship was stunning but the cruise was bad, because MSC. Still interested to watch the show though as I think their ships are among the most beautiful afloat.

Iona will be a little bigger than MSC Seaside.  Iona will be 184,000 tons as opposed to Seaside's 154,000.  Passenger numbers will be similar.

I thought it was quite interesting to see behind the scenes but I am not a big-ship lover so knew I would never be sailing on her.

Thought the ship looked hideous, as though they had just plonked the top bit on top. No sleek lines, just not attractive to look at. The organisation looked very good. But this is what puts me off the larger ships, but then they are not aiming at my age group. The entertainment group certainly earn their money.

Thought that parts of the ship looked nice but overall we really didn't like the look of her at all.

Having said that, loved the programme - it was a real eye opener in many areas.

What amazed us was just how few cabin stewards they seem to have. I'm sure they only said it was in the 100s.

I saw the end of this programme.  Cruising on this ship did not appeal to me the 2,000 people at the "White" themed party, highlight of the cruise seemed a bit mob like. Too many people for me for a decent cruise.  3,500 is my absolute max but prefer 2,000 or fewer.

Regards John

4 minutes ago, john watson said:

I saw the end of this programme.  Cruising on this ship did not appeal to me the 2,000 people at the "White" themed party, highlight of the cruise seemed a bit mob like. Too many people for me for a decent cruise.  3,500 is my absolute max but prefer 2,000 or fewer.

Regards John

Totally agree - that is what put us off as well. Just too many people … I couldn't believe that Iona was going to be even bigger! I really hope that P&O keep a nice selection of different size ships to cater for all of us. If the only way forward is huge ships or very, very expensive cruise lines (smaller ships but at a huge cost) then we may have to return to land holidays.

34 minutes ago, Presto2 said:

Totally agree - that is what put us off as well. Just too many people … I couldn't believe that Iona was going to be even bigger! I really hope that P&O keep a nice selection of different size ships to cater for all of us. If the only way forward is huge ships or very, very expensive cruise lines (smaller ships but at a huge cost) then we may have to return to land holidays.

One of the problems cruise lines have when moving on to larger ships is what to do with the smaller ships they are withdrawing.  Logically they would sell them for scrap, but they will not get as much money for them than if they sell them to other up and coming cruise lines.  These are not all going to be exclusive top price lines and this is where a lot of people will go if the P&O product moves too far away from reasonable as a cruise.

Regards John

27 minutes ago, john watson said:

One of the problems cruise lines have when moving on to larger ships is what to do with the smaller ships they are withdrawing.  Logically they would sell them for scrap, but they will not get as much money for them than if they sell them to other up and coming cruise lines.  These are not all going to be exclusive top price lines and this is where a lot of people will go if the P&O product moves too far away from reasonable as a cruise.

Regards John

We are very grateful to Venice authorities for putting a limit on the size of the ships. I think it saved Oceana's bacon …. they still need the 'little 'uns '

Have to say we love cruising and are happy on Britannia and the Solstice class but these huge ships are not cruise ships to me, they are entertainment factories on water. A long way from what we see cruising as -- sad.

That's just our opinion I suppose but hope that the cruise lines remember those of us who don't want an AL hotel on water for our cruise ……………….. don't want it on land either ...

• Like 1