Which cruise line is best for visiting Bermuda?

kren250

I realize that "best" is very subjective, but is there one cruise line that you guys would recommend over others for Bermuda?

I know I want a cruise that stays at least one night overnight, and two nights would be better:-).

Do all the cruise ships dock at the Royal Naval Dockyard, or do some dock at other locations on the island?

12 minutes ago, Toftwood said:

Sorry  but why would you want to stop there across two nights.

Why wouldn't you want to stop there two nights ;-)? It looks beautiful in the pictures I've seen, and it seems like there's a lot of stuff to do.

I thought several of the cruise lines stopped there for two nights, but maybe just NCL does? That's the only one I've really looked at so far.

NCL is not the only one. Other cruise lines dock two nights. Celebrity has the most regular schedule besides NCL.

There are cruises that dock at St. George’s and Hamilton. For example Oceania does 2 nights St. George’s and night Hamilton. Those are on smaller ships. The big ships can’t dock at St. George’s and Hamilton.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

23 minutes ago, Toftwood said:

I look to find cruises that have lots of sea days (T/Atls are the best), port visits are nice but not necessary. The best times are had on board, not ashore.

Most people want ports. In any case Bermuda cruises do have sea days. Three sea days on most seven day cruises. Bermuda is the destination on a Bermuda cruise so if you are not interested in visiting Bermuda then a Bermuda cruise is not for you. Your loss......:classic_biggrin:

Edited by Charles4515

Bermuda is one of our ports of call on our T/Atl and we are looking forward to it but for us it is simply a port within the many sea days.

The Bermuda cruises that overnight are popular because there is a lot to do there. I like sea days too but like some ports. The T/As always have some ports except the one I went on the QM2 but that was a special experience with a huge library and excellent guest lecturers.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

On 2/18/2019 at 3:43 PM, Toftwood said:

I look to find cruises that have lots of sea days (T/Atls are the best), port visits are nice but not necessary. The best times are had on board, not ashore.

I guess that is subjective, because for me the opposite is true.  I like port intensive itineraries.

Generally I think the itinerary and place you dock is as important as the ship/line you are on. We prefer as many days in port at Bermuda as possible and we generally prefer to not dock at the Dockyard but rather in St George/Hamilton. This tends to limit us to smaller ships (which is fine) across a spectrum of upscale to luxury lines. 

We have taken a variety of ships and lines over the years-- some still with us, others not. Home Lines Oceanic and Doric were favorites with Doric docking in Hamilton and I think Oceania anchored although going that far back gets fuzzy. As was Cunard's Queen Elizabeth 2 to Bermuda from New York. 

More recently we've tried Celebrity Summit (Dockyard), HAL's Veendam (Hamilton), and are currently booked on Oceania's Insignia (St George and Hamilton). 

I would say the times we were at Hamilton were the best as you were in the middle of the island with easy access to everything as well as being in the middle of a real city and not the duty free shopping mall under the thin guise of a historic landmark they've made of the Dockyard. 

On 2/18/2019 at 3:43 PM, Toftwood said:

I agree with you, but Bermuda is an exception.  I could spend more than 2 1/2 days in Bermuda.

On 2/25/2019 at 10:42 PM, Chipmoose said:

I guess that is subjective, because for me the opposite is true.  I like port intensive itineraries.

Same here.  We were just lucky enough to be on a 4-day cruise with 3 ports.  It was fantastic.  I wish our upcoming Bermuda cruise had a lot more port time but I guess it takes a while to get there and back.  We've never been to Bermuda before and really want to see it so I guess we'll have to put up with a few sea days.  :classic_smile:

Edited by CruisinCrow

• 3 weeks later...

Will be cruising to Bermuda in two weeks.  

Normally a Princess or Royal cruiser but out of Baltimore Carnival has a week long cruise with three days in Bermuda. 

Depending on your desired port to sail from and if you are looking for a single destination or multiple that include Bermuda will drive a cruise line selection.  

Everyone has there opinion on the right mix of seas versus port days; however, I think most people could find fun things to do to fill several days in Bermuda.  I personally have been several times and expect I will choose an itinerary that maximizes time in port when I go again.

Hamilton is probably the most centrally located dock, but your options are going to be more limited (and likely pricier) if you want to go there.  I haven't found Dockyard to be an issue, though you'll eat up a little extra time on buses and ferries.

14 hours ago, AL3XCruise said:

Hamilton is probably the most centrally located dock, but your options are going to be more limited (and likely pricier) if you want to go there.  I haven't found Dockyard to be an issue, though you'll eat up a little extra time on buses and ferries.

Its a shame that Holland America isn't sending Veendam back this season-- it was the perfect balance of not too expensive and smaller ship docking in Hamilton. 

We are on Viking in October with an overnight - docking in Hamilton. We do not arrive until 5:00 on that first day, full day the following. I really wish we were able to arrive earlier, but we are excited to be in Hamilton and to have this port stop.