USING OXYGEN ON BOARD

goodsailors

Has anyone experience of requiring to use oxygen on a daily basis on board?

My DW has been prescribed to use oxygen on a part time basis, ie overnight so would be grateful for the experiences of anyone who has such a requirement. 

Edited by goodsailors

Thanks for your reply. She has both, have spoken with the fire and rescue authority who have assured us that cylinders are safe and, for example. there is no issue with using then in the car on a long journey as they are extremely robust, thus I cannot see how use on a ship would be any different. Hence my question to get some advice from anyone who has the actual experience of using oxygen on board. Having said that I would not expect to need to use cylinders on board only a generator overnight. 

I can't help with first hand experience but the Cunard website says this

• Medical gas bottles are allowed in connection with a certified medical condition but cannot be packed in baggage.  Oxygencylinders must be delivered to the pursers’ office and stored in a designated safe area

When my wife needed oxygen on board, we were able to hire a concentrator for use in the cabin.  The company we used were well used to working with Cunard and both delivered the machine to the cabin and and collected it afterwards.  For us it worked very well.  It was discreet, quiet and removed any worries about continuity of supply and transport issues.  However, pre-voyage, we did have to complete a Mobility and Medical Questionnaire for Cunard's Accessibility Services department.  They gave us useful advice and can be reached at disability@carnivalukgroup.com.

11 hours ago, goodsailors said:

Thanks for your reply. She has both, have spoken with the fire and rescue authority who have assured us that cylinders are safe and, for example. there is no issue with using then in the car on a long journey as they are extremely robust, thus I cannot see how use on a ship would be any different. Hence my question to get some advice from anyone who has the actual experience of using oxygen on board. Having said that I would not expect to need to use cylinders on board only a generator overnight. 

4 hours ago, Host Hattie said:

I can't help with first hand experience but the Cunard website says this

• Medical gas bottles are allowed in connection with a certified medical condition but cannot be packed in baggage.  Oxygencylinders must be delivered to the pursers’ office and stored in a designated safe area

As Hattie notes, you must notify Cunard of your need for oxygen cylinders.  It is probably best to rent them from Cunard's special needs provider, so you don't need to take a week's worth in your car.  Extra cylinders will be stored and delivered to your cabin on request, and there will be an oxygen placard placed on or near your cabin door to notify the fire teams where these explosive items are in an emergency.  If you are not using cylinders onboard, then the one you bring with you will be stored in the ship's oxygen locker (used for their cutting torches), and given to you on disembarkation.

My husband needed to use oxygen. At that stage he wasn't too bad so we managed with an oxygen convertor/generator and a few bottles. In fact, I think that he had just been prescribed so the intake was very low. How soon I have forgotten all the technical terms!

I told Cunard and everything went very smoothly. He was not on oxygen when we booked the cruise. They gave me the name of the company they used to supply oxygen, the name of whom I can't remember. I didn't need them in the end. We had the convertor.

We later went on a Celebrity cruise and took it all with us again. Obviously, I drove to the port with the equipment and had spares in the boot for the return journey. Just in case.

Lost track now! What was it you needed to know?😁 Yes people use oxygen. Yes it is quite common. Yes Cunard have dealt with this before.

We got upgraded!!! Big disabled cabin!

Yes. Forgot about the test. It was done straight away if I remember rightly.

As for taking the bottles aboard, as you know I or rather we, used to be backward and forward across the Channel all the time and our supplier gave us certificates for the equipment in case any of the ferry companies asked.