Cyclone OMA watch

At the moment the eye is just off the North west tip of the main New Caledonia Island and appears to be travelling very slightly south of due west.. Does not look like a good one.

Edited by Russell21
added info

10 hours ago, BigGee12 said:

We are sailing on Thursday to Moreton Island with P&O Explorer. Do you think they will send us to Melbourne or somewhere else? 

Quite likely you won't go there as it is a tender port and likely will not get ashore.

1 hour ago, Russell21 said:

At the moment it is a little further west and south of yesterdays position, not moving very fast. If I am allowed to I can put up the address of the satellite viewer I use. Please let me know if i'm allowed to.

I cant see why not.

One for good weather graphics is windy.com .

Currently it  looks like its swinging left into Australia and NZ is in for a drenching

2 hours ago, MicCanberra said:

Quite likely you won't go there as it is a tender port and likely will not get ashore.

Moreton island is protected by a bay, might be a bit rough to get into the bay but once there the island itself will protect the tenders.

Moreton Bay is protected by Moreton Island.  Pacific Explorer will only enter Moreton Bay if the master thinks it is OK & Brisbane Pilots are still working ships in & out.   There is a distinct possibility that Brisbane Port Authoriy will shut the port at some time.

This may not effect departing cruise & other ships as pilots sometimes get over carried.

The Bom. future synopsis is predicting OMA will continue to the south coast of Queensland & then "bounce" north to Hervey Bay area due to a large high pressure area in the south.

Brisbane has the following cruise ships due :-

23rd - Pacific Dawn & Arcadia at Grain.

24th - Sea Princess

25th - Sun Princess

26th - Pac. Dawn

2 hours ago, SeaDog-46 said:

Moreton Bay is protected by Moreton Island.  Pacific Explorer will only enter Moreton Bay if the master thinks it is OK & Brisbane Pilots are still working ships in & out.   There is a distinct possibility that Brisbane Port Authoriy will shut the port at some time.

This may not effect departing cruise & other ships as pilots sometimes get over carried.

The Bom. future synopsis is predicting OMA will continue to the south coast of Queensland & then "bounce" north to Hervey Bay area due to a large high pressure area in the south.

Brisbane has the following cruise ships due :-

23rd - Pacific Dawn & Arcadia at Grain.

24th - Sea Princess

25th - Sun Princess

26th - Pac. Dawn

Quite a few ships will be affected then.

The 23rd Pacific Dawn cruise is a 3 nt. Comedy cruise to nowhere - only the cyclonic Tasman.

Should be a bag of laughs - sick-bags!?    Could anchor in Moreton Bay,  but good seamonship says - go to sea.

Sea Princess is coming down from the north.

Sun Princess is off to NZ

Then Pacific Dawn on 26th - 4 nts. booze cruise to Airlie Beach & return.

Fun times cruising in the cyclone season.

13 minutes ago, SeaDog-46 said:

The 23rd Pacific Dawn cruise is a 3 nt. Comedy cruise to nowhere - only the cyclonic Tasman.

Should be a bag of laughs - sick-bags!?    Could anchor in Moreton Bay,  but good seamonship says - go to sea.

I imagine they will all be heading south to find better weather.

56 minutes ago, SeaDog-46 said:

Are you sure Sun Princess is heading to NZ they are supposed to be going to Queensland. Is this a revised route due to Oma? We have elderly relatives due to board on Saturday.

Edited by aycee

11 minutes ago, aycee said:

Are you sure Sun Princess is heading to NZ they are supposed to be going to Queensland. Is this a revised route due to Oma? We have elderly relatives due to board on Saturday.

The Sun Princess is going to Queensland (from Sydney) and the Sea Princess is scheduled to cruise from Brisbane to NZ leaving on Sunday 24th. The Sea P: is on a 7 day cruise to North Queensland.

Sorry about that - Aus Traveller is correct - got the 2 P's mixed up.

Sea Princess is coming from North & should leave for NZ on 24th.

Sun Princess is coming from Sydney on way to FNQ. dep. on 25th.

Both will have to dodge Oma one way or both.

am 20th.png

Sea Princess (have family on board for the current cruise) was supposed to relocate from Cairns to Port Douglas overnight. Is now in Cairns for another day (bus tours to Port Douglas for those booked) and will not go via Willis Island. Kuranda Skyrail was out of action due to a storm last night.

Due in Brizzy Sunday morning. If they do, there may be a few people kissing the tarmac as they come off.

Saturday nite from Bundaberg down looks rather unpleasant at this stage.

Cruising from Brisbane on Sat (hopefully). Can anyone tell me what usually happens if there is a cancellation of the cruise due to weather conditions. When they do they tell you? Do they leave it right up to the day before? How do they tell you? via email? I havent heard anything and I would have thought that there would have been some communication from them by now. I guess I should just ring them? Thankyou