Costa Maya

Tootsiepop6

1 hour ago, Mim Lloyd said:

Thanks for the info about the walk from the ship.  I'd be grateful if you could post whether or not there's a shuttle for disabled people available when you get back. Thanks both!

yes, it's a rather long walk to the port area, and then a long walk through the port area. You can cut through a store Pan Dulce across from the flamingos to ge to the taxi faster. Taxis are the same price pp  as the open air buggy pulled by a tractor, but are so much faster and more pleasant.

Related image

Image result for pan dulce costa maya

you can see how long the walk is. There was no transportation from ship to port in December, due to construction.

Edited by Itchy&Scratchy

It depends on what you are interested in.  If you are interested in history and culture, I would go with a Native Choice tour to the ruins.  In November we did the Mayan Experience tour which included a tour of Chacchoben and a lunch at a Mayan home.  It was an excellent excursion.  

If you want a beach experience, i would HIGHLY recommend Hayhu Beach.  It gets you away from the malecon, is isolated, private, has STUNNING facilities, great service and outstanding food.  They are a relatively new beach club, but are highly rated on Trip Advisor.  I have never been to Maya Chan, but I would put Hayhu right up there with them.  

DSCN0810.JPG

6 minutes ago, JMB1969 said:

It depends on what you are interested in.  If you are interested in history and culture, I would go with a Native Choice tour to the ruins.  In November we did the Mayan Experience tour which included a tour of Chacchoben and a lunch at a Mayan home.  It was an excellent excursion.  

If you want a beach experience, i would HIGHLY recommend Hayhu Beach.  It gets you away from the malecon, is isolated, private, has STUNNING facilities, great service and outstanding food.  They are a relatively new beach club, but are highly rated on Trip Advisor.  I have never been to Maya Chan, but I would put Hayhu right up there with them.  

DSCN0810.JPG

Checking the pictures.  It looks nice.  But it's nothing like Maya Chan (misses the point). Plastic chairs and all that.  Very different vibe.  Hayhu is also multiple times more expensive and limiting.  If you want your private area and all inclusive then it's $500!!!!  Maya Chan is $50/pp and fully all-inclusive (has a pool, too).

My other concern is that it's nearly twice as far!  One complaint already about Maya Chan is the long drive down the dirt road, going twice as far is I would think is no-bueno for a lot of people.

I wouldn't in any way put Hayhu up there with Maya Chan.  It looks perfectly nice and it may be perfect for some, but it's not comparable at all.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, BNBR said:

Checking the pictures.  It looks nice.  But it's nothing like Maya Chan (misses the point). Plastic chairs and all that.  Very different vibe.  Hayhu is also multiple times more expensive and limiting.  If you want your private area and all inclusive then it's $500!!!!  Maya Chan is $50/pp and fully all-inclusive (has a pool, too).

My other concern is that it's nearly twice as far!  One complaint already about Maya Chan is the long drive down the dirt road, going twice as far is I would think is no-bueno for a lot of people.

I wouldn't in any way put Hayhu up there with Maya Chan.  It looks perfectly nice and it may be perfect for some, but it's not comparable at all.

You haven't been to Hayhu, I haven't been to Maya Chan.  We were a group of 6 who split the VIP package ($500 total per group, NOT per person).  In those instances, it was more than reasonable.  We were pampered with our own private showers, changing facilities, an incredibly attentive server, and unlimited drinks and food.  Stunning scenery, privacy, the best food, drinks, and service I have ever had, including any cruise ship dining room or specialty resturant.  Drive was 30 minutes from port...not a dealbreaker by any means, and was included in our package.  

They also have cheaper packages that include limited food and drinks.  I havent been to Maya Chan, so can't compare apples to apples.  You haven't been to Hayhu.  All I am saying is that it is a pampering experience similar to what I have read Maya Chan offers.  That said, I would put Hayhu's service and food up against anybodys!  

2 minutes ago, JMB1969 said:

You haven't been to Hayhu, I haven't been to Maya Chan.  We were a group of 6 who split the VIP package ($500 total per group, NOT per person).  In those instances, it was more than reasonable.  We were pampered with our own private showers, changing facilities, an incredibly attentive server, and unlimited drinks and food.  Stunning scenery, privacy, the best food, drinks, and service I have ever had, including any cruise ship dining room or specialty resturant.  Drive was 30 minutes from port...not a dealbreaker by any means, and was included in our package.  

They also have cheaper packages that include limited food and drinks.  I havent been to Maya Chan, so can't compare apples to apples.  You haven't been to Hayhu.  All I am saying is that it is a pampering experience similar to what I have read Maya Chan offers.  That said, I would put Hayhu's service and food up against anybodys!  

You still paid $83/pp which is a lot more than Maya Chan.   The pictures and description make it clear what Hayhu offers and as I said, it looks very nice.  But it's much more expensive and the vibe is VERY different.  You may like it better, you may not.  Personally, it's the "hangout" beach vibe that makes Maya Chan so special along with spectacular service, drinks, and food.  They wade out in the water with drinks in hand, for example.  Your group of 6 would have a totally private palapa, showers, etc all the same.

Anyways, my point was that the vibe is different.  Unless you have been to Maya Chan, you won't understand that.  There is truly nothing quite like it.  Hayhu is pretty clear about what they offer and it looks awesome but it's a much more traditional beach club approach, just very private and they obviously do it well.  Maya Chan is something else entirely.

30 minutes ago, Travelicious said:

Maya Chan has a pool now?  I have been there, and it was nice, but the water was quite murky.  The water looks more clear at Hayhu, at least in the photos.

Maya Chan has a small pool now, yes.  It's near the bathrooms on the north end and a little bar next to it now too.

As for the water, it's hard to say.  They are on the same stretch of beach.  Maya Chan is definitely hit or miss with some clear days, but looking at the Hayhu pictures, there are some pictures that look pretty nasty too.  My understanding is that the water is more consistently clear at the Malecon compared to Maya Chan, could be that way with Hayhu, too.  We don't really have enough info about that place yet though to know for sure.

Here's a couple pics of the Hayhu beach - they definitely have their off days but that is normal for Costa Maya.  I would never judge any establishment there based on water clarity.

20180314-151743-largejpg.jpg

photo2jpg.jpg

Here is the Maya Chan pool:

maya-pool.png

Edited by BNBR
  • Like 2

On 2/19/2019 at 9:34 AM, Mim Lloyd said:

Is it Costa Maya that has a very long walk from the ship to where taxis/pick ups are?  We're thinking of booking Maya Chan for our cruise in January 2020 but we'll have my sister with us who can't walk too far without resting (she has a false lower leg).  Are shuttles or transport available from the ship?

Last week, and actually every time we've been there, a shuttle does run back and forth on the pier.  It was a bit late getting started the other day though.  It just runs the main pier length, not out by the ships dock.  

3 hours ago, richstowe said:

We have booked Jamie's Blue Reef . It has excellent TripAdvisor reviews especially for the food .

http://www.jaimesbluereef.com/ 

It was mentioned on our roll call . At least 16 people have signed up for it .

I'll let you know how it was a couple of weeks from now . 

Once, when I would not have had time to do Maya Chan, Maya Chan did recommend Jamies' Blue Reef to me.  

• Thanks 1

We have gone twice to Maya, Lost Mayan Kingdom Water and Zip Line park. We love it!  There are several tube slides, mat slides and body slides.  The zip lining is lots of fun and the last line ends in the pool. They have a zip line coaster which is great and where we found the longest line (20 minutes mid afternoon). The lines were generally short and moved very quickly both times we went for both the zips and slides.

My daughter was very scared to go zip lining and the staff were great with her. We went tandem a few times and then they encouraged her to do it by herself.

https://maya-park.com/

There is a shuttle from the port to the park, it's only a few minutes away. You can leave the park when ever you are ready as the shuttle runs all day. They have photos available but they don't push you to buy them, the way some other excursion do.

6 hours ago, shanley said:

We have gone twice to Maya, Lost Mayan Kingdom Water and Zip Line park. We love it!  There are several tube slides, mat slides and body slides.  The zip lining is lots of fun and the last line ends in the pool. They have a zip line coaster which is great and where we found the longest line (20 minutes mid afternoon). The lines were generally short and moved very quickly both times we went for both the zips and slides.

My daughter was very scared to go zip lining and the staff were great with her. We went tandem a few times and then they encouraged her to do it by herself.

https://maya-park.com/

There is a shuttle from the port to the park, it's only a few minutes away. You can leave the park when ever you are ready as the shuttle runs all day. They have photos available but they don't push you to buy them, the way some other excursion do.

I purchased this excursion through NCL as the prices were exactly the same as buying tickets through the park.  (Plus we had the $50 credit from a promotion.)  My only concern was that the NCL excursion had a start time of 11:30 even though we dock at 8:00 and the park opens at 8:30.  Do you think we could get on the shuttle you mentioned earlier in the morning?  I would like to spend as much time as possible at the park before we need to be back on the ship!  Thanks!

31 minutes ago, PJDH4 said:

I purchased this excursion through NCL as the prices were exactly the same as buying tickets through the park.  (Plus we had the $50 credit from a promotion.)  My only concern was that the NCL excursion had a start time of 11:30 even though we dock at 8:00 and the park opens at 8:30.  Do you think we could get on the shuttle you mentioned earlier in the morning?  I would like to spend as much time as possible at the park before we need to be back on the ship!  Thanks!

I bought my excursion through the ship as well. My excursion was definitely not that late.  The only thing is that you would need to get your excursion bracelet from the ship before you go. So I am not sure how you would manage to get that earlier. 

39 minutes ago, shanley said:

I bought my excursion through the ship as well. My excursion was definitely not that late.  The only thing is that you would need to get your excursion bracelet from the ship before you go. So I am not sure how you would manage to get that earlier. 

What's an excursion bracelet?  I've only ever had the gold/yellow colored tickets for excursions I've bought through NCL.  Is the bracelet not brought to your room ahead of time the way those tickets are?

On 2/18/2019 at 10:17 PM, LeesaB said:

If you want to see Mayan Ruins, Native Choice is an excellent tour agency and their Mayan Experience tour is amazing!  We visited Chacchoben, about an hour, maybe an hour and a half away from the port, then went to a Mayan village where they showed us how to make tortillas and they served us an excellent lunch, then led us on a tour of their home (definitely not as weird as it sounds).  Everyone in my family (including 2 11 year old boys) said it was an awesome tour. 

Another vote for Native Choice and this tour. My family had a great time at the ruins, but the highlight was the home made Mayan meal while seeing some of the "real" Mexico. Highly recommended.

14 hours ago, PJDH4 said:

What's an excursion bracelet?  I've only ever had the gold/yellow colored tickets for excursions I've bought through NCL.  Is the bracelet not brought to your room ahead of time the way those tickets are?

You get your excursion ticket but when you go to the meeting place on the pier they take your ticket and give you a bracelet.

On 2/18/2019 at 8:17 PM, LeesaB said:

If you want to see Mayan Ruins, Native Choice is an excellent tour agency and their Mayan Experience tour is amazing!  We visited Chacchoben, about an hour, maybe an hour and a half away from the port, then went to a Mayan village where they showed us how to make tortillas and they served us an excellent lunch, then led us on a tour of their home (definitely not as weird as it sounds).  Everyone in my family (including 2 11 year old boys) said it was an awesome tour. 

Several years ago we went with Native Choice and had such a great time we are going with them again this May! We are doing the same tour - The Mayan Experience.

• Like 1

On 2/18/2019 at 9:43 PM, Nola26 said:

I booked with NCL and had two wonderful days, different cruises:

1. Adventure Day: ATV ride in the jungle was amazing, like literally screaming I had so much fun
  2. Salsa & Salsa: make salsa (eat it with chips), salsa dancing(lessons) and stroll across the narrow street to the beach, loved the variety; they also provided tequila tasting and sales. Had time to do a little shopping at vendor stands on the street.

Oohhh, did you need long pants for the ATV ride?  I see they are recommended, but then it said we had to have closed toe shoes for the one in Freeport and we didn't.  Also, did you just take a taxi back from the beach when you were ready or was there a set time for transportation back to the ship after the beach portion?  Thanks!

On 2/25/2019 at 11:30 AM, amc155 said:

Oohhh, did you need long pants for the ATV ride?  I see they are recommended, but then it said we had to have closed toe shoes for the one in Freeport and we didn't.  Also, did you just take a taxi back from the beach when you were ready or was there a set time for transportation back to the ship after the beach portion?  Thanks!

No long pants and I really need a shower post ride, I had to wash my shoes several times to restore them, but no regrets.

• Like 1

On ‎2‎/‎19‎/‎2019 at 2:16 PM, BNBR said:

Maya Chan has a small pool now, yes.  It's near the bathrooms on the north end and a little bar next to it now too.

As for the water, it's hard to say.  They are on the same stretch of beach.  Maya Chan is definitely hit or miss with some clear days, but looking at the Hayhu pictures, there are some pictures that look pretty nasty too.  My understanding is that the water is more consistently clear at the Malecon compared to Maya Chan, could be that way with Hayhu, too.  We don't really have enough info about that place yet though to know for sure.

Here's a couple pics of the Hayhu beach - they definitely have their off days but that is normal for Costa Maya.  I would never judge any establishment there based on water clarity.

20180314-151743-largejpg.jpg

photo2jpg.jpg

Here is the Maya Chan pool:

maya-pool.png

Wow!!!  I didn't know they added a pool.  That's awesome.  I was there in January 2018 and no pool then.  I will be there in early May.  Can't wait!