Cruising with an LVAD

Diamondbosslady

MY HUSBAND HAS AN LVAD (HEART PUMP). INTERESTED TO GAIN INSIGHT FROM ANY PREVIOUS LVAD CRUISERS ON DOS AND DON'TS, WHAT YOU FOUND BENEFICIAL, AND HANDLING EXCURSIONS. HUBBY CANT WALK LONG DISTANCES, SO WE ARE CONSIDERING RENTING A SCOOTER. THANKS IN ADVANCE FOR ANY INPUT. 

Not being negative, just going by 17 years reading these boards and a few cruises. A cruise ship medical department is NOT a hospital or emergency room. Picture a doctor's office on steroids run by a insurance company that doesn't want to be responsible for anything. I have read quite a few postings where people have been put off the boat due to medical issues, founded or not. If I go to medical due to chest discomfort, they may give me an anti-acid (for $25) and send me on my way. However if they see my chest scar and learn the story of a five operation My party may find ourselves sitting on our luggage at the next port. I am not trying to scare you, just make you aware of a policy rarely spoke of. Hope you go ahead with the plans, but look into trip insurance, mainly pre-existing conditions.