Restaurants in Halifax

Mountaineer0313

There are many fine restaurants in Halifax. 

Salty's for Fish & Chips, The Five Fisherman, or 

try the Donaire at Tony's. Tony's won the gold star 

award for this east coast specialty - 2390 Robie Street.

Try 'The Coast' Halifax's website.u

On 2/19/2019 at 8:58 PM, bkbarrym said:

The Five Fisherman,

We had a wonderful lunch a few months ago at the Little Fish Oyster Bar (the downstairs part of the Five Fishermen, which is open for lunch).  The fish and chips were excellent, but the fish tacos were incredible.  Also, the potatoes are locally grown and you can really taste the difference in the "chips."  :classic_smile:

Thanks so much for the information on the Little Fish Oyster Bar.  I've eaten at the Five Fisherman many times and it's always been very good. We'll definitely need to stop for lunch.  As you said, there's nothing better than the east coast

locally grown potatoes.

43 minutes ago, maryann ns said:

Yes The Coast's listings are great. Also check on Trip Advisor. Of course opinions are so very subjective. Could you tell us a bit more about your criteria for a good restaurant.

Also check out  Trip Advisor listings using the filters to narrow down your search.

Definitely seafood. My husband does not like seafood, but he's easy to please. So good seafood and preferably a good view also. Maybe some good local-ish beer also.

10 minutes ago, bkbarrym said:

Thanks so much for the information on the Little Fish Oyster Bar.  I've eaten at the Five Fisherman many times and it's always been very good. We'll definitely need to stop for lunch.  As you said, there's nothing better than the east coast

locally grown potatoes.

On our way back from Peggy's Cove (that was before lunch), our driver mentioned that potatoes were a local crop.  We had no idea they were grown there, it's not something we associate with the east. The freshness of those "chips" recalled for us some incredible baked potatoes we'd had with dinner many years ago in a small town in Colorado, having seen freshly harvested potatoes being trucked around on the roadways for days.  It is truly wonderful when you can not only taste that special "just picked" freshness in a food, but also remember that meal years later because of it.  :classic_smile:

Here are the incredibly delicious fish tacos and chips at the Little Fish Oyster Bar; I sure am hungry now!

enhance

(photo by turtles06)

• Like 1

Those fries/chips look really good.  I grew up somewhat near a farm locally famous for their potato chips (crisps) - loved the smell when you opened the bag 🙂 

OP - when we went to Halifax we really enjoyed Your Father's Mustache which was reasonably close to the Public Gardens.  Service and food were great. I know they had some local/localish beer and cider.  Hubby had a stout he really enjoyed and I liked my cider.  Something to note: there tends to be a higher alcohol content in Canadian beer than US.

When in Halifax, after visiting the Citadel and the nearby Botanical Gardens, the five us us began discussing lunch options.  We had originally planned to head back down to the waterfront to eat, when a local resident, who overheard our conversation, suggested the nearby Le Bistro. The restaurant was clean and airy, their food was fabulous and reasonably priced. Everyone in our group was very pleased with the place.

• Thanks 1

Last summer we had a wonderful lunch at The Wooden Monkey. Farm to table pub that was very good and reasonably priced. 1707 Grafton, I believe it was about 2/3rds of the way up the the hill between the port and the Citadel. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

McKelvie’s Restaurant in Halifax is lovely “Delicious Fishish Dishes” in the former fire station dating from 1906.

Up Spring Garden Road for shopping.  The Art Gallery to see the Maude Lewis house, the Maritime Museum for Titanic memorabilia.  The Farmer’s market is right by the pier.  The Pier 21 Museum of Immigration.   St Paul’s church, downtown by the city hall.  Founded 1749, oldest continuously serving Protestant church in North America.

Lots to see!  Enjoy!

• 2 weeks later...

We like Salty's and will be returning there in about 3-4 months on our next sailing.

We were very satisfied the last time and convinced to return. We like the Fish & Chips, Lobster and also Manhattan Clam Chowder since we are from NYC.

The service was very professional and we were able to converse with the server about Halifax and any recommendations to see after dining.  

• 5 weeks later...

I really liked La Frasca, 5650 Spring Garden Road near the Public Gardens. It's under the same ownership as The Bicycle Thief, which you will see on the Waterfront, but far enough from the waterfront to have predominantly local customers. It's about a 10-minute uphill walk from the harbor.

It does not have much “local flavor” ambience, and is probably a bit more expensive than most of the other suggestions here, but for simply a truly great meal in Halifax, we would recommend The Bicycle Thief.   

It is is along the waterfront, and is ranked quite high on TripAdvisor.  You can check it out at:

bicyclethief.ca

Enjoy!