NCL $1,000 more expensive than Celebrity?

DaCruiseBug

1 minute ago, david_sobe said:

LOL.  I KNEW someone was going to post something like this after I read back my comment.  I am comparing apples to apples.  Its fine you want to ONLY compare itineraries but ship MATTERS.  For argument sake, lets say the RCCL Oasis and NCL Sky were both sailing to Bermuda 7 nights from NYC.  Which do you think would be more expensive?
That is my point.  Ships over 15 years apart are impossible to compare.  Actually my Sky/Oasis analogy is better because those ships are only 10 years apart :classic_dry:

Same itinerary and same perks should mean roughly the same price. Maybe up to a 10% disparity based on the cruise line.

Using your same logic...why is the Gem out of Boston about 20% more expensive then the Escape out of NY with the same itinerary, same perks, and same cruise line?

Generally speaking, NCL drops prices the closer to the sail date to clear out the last big of inventory.  Celebrity (and RCCL) raises prices as the selection of cabins gets tight. Two different ways of doing the same thing.

Just today, I booked a large balcony Mini-Suite on the Escape (one of NCL's newest ships) for a 2 day cruise leaving in less than 2 weeks.  Got all the goodies.....Drink Package, 3 Dining package, 250 mins internet (+30 more for being Platinum Latitudes), $50/port/cabin excursion credit, $75 OBC from NCL+$145 OBC from my online TA+$200 by using my AMEX to book (Platinum). 

All in price for the cruise was $2,285.  CCL, MSC, RCCL, Celebrity was checked.  They couldn't beat the price.....and it wasn't even close.  Clearly, if I were looking to book much further out, those NCL prices would be much different.

I ordinarily start making vacation plans about 30-60 days in advance.  This time, I had a break in my schedule and only started looking for a cruise last week.  I was planning for mid-March (30 days from now), but couldn't pass up the deal leaving in 12 days.

Timing is everything when booking cruises and cruise lines.

15 minutes ago, graphicguy said:

Generally speaking, NCL drops prices the closer to the sail date to clear out the last big of inventory.  Celebrity (and RCCL) raises prices as the selection of cabins gets tight. Two different ways of doing the same thing.

Just today, I booked a large balcony Mini-Suite on the Escape (one of NCL's newest ships) for a 2 day cruise leaving in less than 2 weeks.  Got all the goodies.....Drink Package, 3 Dining package, 250 mins internet (+30 more for being Platinum Latitudes), $50/port/cabin excursion credit, $75 OBC from NCL+$145 OBC from my online TA+$200 by using my AMEX to book (Platinum). 

All in price for the cruise was $2,285.  CCL, MSC, RCCL, Celebrity was checked.  They couldn't beat the price.....and it wasn't even close.  Clearly, if I were looking to book much further out, those NCL prices would be much different.

I ordinarily start making vacation plans about 30-60 days in advance.  This time, I had a break in my schedule and only started looking for a cruise last week.  I was planning for mid-March (30 days from now), but couldn't pass up the deal leaving in 12 days.

Timing is everything when booking cruises and cruise lines.

I'm assuming you made a mistake and it's supposed to say a 7 day cruise...not 2 correct?

Also...not sure if you got a special deal but the large balcony mini-suite with all the goodies is listed at $2,865 for the Escape on March 3rd. Still a very good deal but personally I avoid sailing out of the NE during the winter as I like to be in shorts and t-shirt on sailaway.

About 30 days out Celebrity has the Equinox out of Miami for $2,745 out the door in a Sunset Veranda room. You get a beverage package and $300 OBC. Celebrity and Royal also participate in the Amex program for additional OBC and the website I looked at also throws in prepaid gratuities.

There's certainly more deals out there if you can wait to book until 30 days out (or less) but most people can't do that.

Just now, DaCruiseBug said:

I'm assuming you made a mistake and it's supposed to say a 7 day cruise...not 2 correct?

Also...not sure if you got a special deal but the large balcony mini-suite with all the goodies is listed at $2,865 for the Escape on March 3rd. Still a very good deal but personally I avoid sailing out of the NE during the winter as I like to be in shorts and t-shirt on sailaway.

About 30 days out Celebrity has the Equinox out of Miami for $2,745 out the door in a Sunset Veranda room. You get a beverage package and $300 OBC. Celebrity and Royal also participate in the Amex program for additional OBC and the website I looked at also throws in prepaid gratuities.

There's certainly more deals out there if you can wait to book until 30 days out (or less) but most people can't do that.

Yeah...you're right.....typo....it's a 7 day cruise (not 2).  Sorry about that.  

I know, it's going to be chilly that first night.  But, I'm going to spend the weekend in NYC before we sail, as I have friends in the city and we always have a blast.

My online TA always undercuts the cruise line's on line price.  I'm already booked, but will take a look at what my TA has for the Equinox.

11 minutes ago, graphicguy said:

Yeah...you're right.....typo....it's a 7 day cruise (not 2).  Sorry about that.  

I know, it's going to be chilly that first night.  But, I'm going to spend the weekend in NYC before we sail, as I have friends in the city and we always have a blast.

My online TA always undercuts the cruise line's on line price.  I'm already booked, but will take a look at what my TA has for the Equinox.

Enjoy your cruise and your weekend in NY.

@DaCruiseBug....just looked at that Celebrity sailing.  Looks like it's the end of March out of Miami with internet and drinks.  Only problem I have with that, is you're getting into Spring Break season.  Not sure what that's like on Celebrity but I've made the mistake once....and ONLY ONCE.  

I've never had a bad cruise.  But, the one that's been least memorable (for a variety of reasons) was on Celebrity.  Doesn't make them bad.

I agree with you.  If you can book 30+ days out, you can find deals on just about any cruise line.  But, I've had extremely good luck  with NCL when booking last minute.

BTW....your right about AMEX Platinum.  Any TA who will send the rebate to you by booking with AMEX, usually will do it with most cruise lines.  One exception I wasn't able to get was with MSC.

15 minutes ago, graphicguy said:

@DaCruiseBug....just looked at that Celebrity sailing.  Looks like it's the end of March out of Miami with internet and drinks.  Only problem I have with that, is you're getting into Spring Break season.  Not sure what that's like on Celebrity but I've made the mistake once....and ONLY ONCE.  

I've never had a bad cruise.  But, the one that's been least memorable (for a variety of reasons) was on Celebrity.  Doesn't make them bad.

I agree with you.  If you can book 30+ days out, you can find deals on just about any cruise line.  But, I've had extremely good luck  with NCL when booking last minute.

BTW....your right about AMEX Platinum.  Any TA who will send the rebate to you by booking with AMEX, usually will do it with most cruise lines.  One exception I wasn't able to get was with MSC.

I don't think you have to worry about spring break with Celebrity.

As far as the Amex platinum bonus...you have to book with American Express or one of their affiliated travel agencies. There's a couple of online TAs that participate.

These are the cruise lines that participate:

Untitled.png

Thanks.  I'm looking forward to getting away.  The last 6 months have been a bit of a drain on me.

LOL....probably right about Spring Breakers and Celebrity.  I still shop them.  They just don't seem to have what I'm looking for, when I'm looking for it the majority of the time.

I know not every TA participates with Plat AMEX with their perks.  Fortunately, mine does.  I think on NCL, in addition to the OBC, they throw in a bottle of champaign and a specialty dinner.

NCL is known to artifically inflate prices well in advance of sailing.

With a few exceptions, they rarely sell out their ships well in advance and end up dumping cabins at the last minute.

If you can be flexible, you can beat NCL at their recently devised pricing "game".

Always book NCL sailaway last minute as there are deals to be had. Take a chance on the upgrade advantage, and then buy your drinks during port days, go to a fine restaurant on land before or after your cruise in lieu of specialty dining, and book your shore tours independently with reputable operators that are well-reviewed here on cruisecritic.

Breakaway 7 day Feb 24, Int Sailaway, $449, Sailaway Balcony $579, Free at Sea Balcony $799

Spirit, 11 day, Feb 24 Int Sailaway $599, Free at Sea Sailaway, $799

Dawn, 7 day, Mar 3 In Sailaway $429, 

Breakaway, 7 day, Mar 3, Sailaway Mini Suite $699

Star, 7 day, March 23, Sailaway Int $499

Jade, 11 day, March 11, Sailaway Int $599, Interior Free at Sea $799

Sun, 16 day, March 16, Sailaway Int $649

Star, 14 day, March 30, Sailaway Int $749

2 minutes ago, blcruising said:

NCL is known to artifically inflate prices well in advance of sailing.

With a few exceptions, they rarely sell out their ships well in advance and end up dumping cabins at the last minute.

If you can be flexible, you can beat NCL at their recently devised pricing "game".

Always book NCL sailaway last minute as there are deals to be had. Take a chance on the upgrade advantage, and then buy your drinks during port days, go to a fine restaurant on land before or after your cruise in lieu of specialty dining, and book your shore tours independently with reputable operators that are well-reviewed here on cruisecritic.

Breakaway 7 day Feb 24, Int Sailaway, $449, Sailaway Balcony $579, Free at Sea Balcony $799

Spirit, 11 day, Feb 24 Int Sailaway $599, Free at Sea Sailaway, $799

Dawn, 7 day, Mar 3 In Sailaway $429, 

Breakaway, 7 day, Mar 3, Sailaway Mini Suite $699

Star, 7 day, March 23, Sailaway Int $499

Jade, 11 day, March 11, Sailaway Int $599, Interior Free at Sea $799

Sun, 16 day, March 16, Sailaway Int $649

Star, 14 day, March 30, Sailaway Int $749

On any other cruise line we would do sailaway and then either buy drinks or a drink package but on NCL with drinks being mostly in the $10-15 range and a beverage package being over $800 per person it doesn't really make sense.

On 2/19/2019 at 12:40 PM, Beer Belly said:

I was thinking the same thing when comparing NCL to Royal Caribbean, and found that the Drink Package with Royal was somewhere in the $70 per person, per day....that brought the difference a little closer.

Then there are people like me who don't drink, know when we book NCL we are helping pay for others to drink.  NCL is great for last minute price drops, but unless one lives near the port and/Or the destination, last minute transportation buys can kill the cruise price drop.  Lately comparing itineraries, ships and prices I have been booking RCI.