New to NCL

esper10

Hi all, we are season cruises but from no particular reason  we just never sailed NCL now that they are going to have more ships in California we are thinking to try NCL. We cruised princess, carnival, Royal Caribbean and celebrity so I kind want to have some feedback regarding NCL. How is the food , shows, can they be similar to any of the cruise line I mentioned so I can have an idea. Also we like to tip the waiter every day. We noticed they like getting their cash. Can we do the same with NCL or they charge the sea pass without allowing the guest to choose. Any other charges or any thing else I need to know about? Thank you so much 

7 hours ago, esper10 said:

Hi all, we are season cruises but from no particular reason  we just never sailed NCL now that they are going to have more ships in California we are thinking to try NCL. We cruised princess, carnival, Royal Caribbean and celebrity so I kind want to have some feedback regarding NCL. How is the food , shows, can they be similar to any of the cruise line I mentioned so I can have an idea. Also we like to tip the waiter every day. We noticed they like getting their cash. Can we do the same with NCL or they charge the sea pass without allowing the guest to choose. Any other charges or any thing else I need to know about? Thank you so much 

Just a quick answer and others will chime in I am sure:

As for tips, you are charged a daily service charge which goes into a tipping pool and is divided. There is no reason to tip any on top of that. Some people do add a little extra at the end of the cruise for the cabin steward. We happen to, but you do not have to. If we find a good cocktail server we sometimes throw a buck in for our drinks. You can choose to not take part in the DSC policy just like any line, but it isn't advised and you are cheating others who work behind the scene out of tips. 

Food is subjective, we all know. For us it is a win/win or lose/lose depending on how you see it. There are some restaurants that are wonderful and a few that I wish would fall into the sea. this is a personal feeling I will add. 

Entertainment: probably NCL offers the best entertainment at sea, whether it is the shows nightly or just the entertainers in the smaller night clubs or the little neighborhood bars.

Hope this gives you a start.   

• Like 2