Cruise Critic Community
szp-2008

P&O Britannia Disembarking in Barbados

Hi,

I am going on the Christmas Cruise 2019.  Just wondering when you have to be out of your cabin as the flight will not be until the evening.  I am travelling with my 3 year old, so is it best to stay on the ship all day and wait for the transfer or go on a farewell tour?  If you go on the tour do they time this in with your flight so you are not waiting at the airport for too long?  If I stay on the ship, do you have to carry hand luggage around with you all day?  Or is it possible to pay for a "day room" so you can have access to a shower etc?

Thanks very much for your help

Edited by szp-2008

Hi we had to leave our cabin by 8am.

we had our 3 yr old with us so we just went for a little walk around the dock area then we got back on and had lunch and waited to be called to go on the coach to the airport.

you can leave your hand luggage in the theatre, they give you a ticket to go back and collect it.

you can book a day room, we didn't and regretted it.

if we do that cruise again i would book a day room and spend the day on the ship as there was hardly anyone in and around the pool and just relax.

Take some snacks to the airport as there is not much there for little ones to eat.

29 minutes ago, Mrs applehead said:

we had our 3 yr old with us so we just went for a little walk around the dock area then we got back on and had lunch and waited to be called to go on the coach to the airport.

you can leave your hand luggage in the theatre, they give you a ticket to go back and collect it.

if we do that cruise again i would book a day room and spend the day on the ship as there was hardly anyone in and around the pool and just relax.

Take some snacks to the airport as there is not much there for little ones to eat.

Is there a charge for the day room?

That’s great, thank you for this. Do you know if you can book the day room before travel or do you need to do it when you board?

one other thing, did you do tours with your 3 year old? Did you mainly just do beach tours? Any tips would be greatly appreciated. Thanks 

I think you could only book the room onboard. I can't remember how much they were but I know it seemed a lot that's why we didn't book it.

we mainly booked beach breaks but we did go on a pirates of the Caribbean boat trip in St Vincent which was really good as most people said when we got back on they didn't really like the town.

Grenada we just got a water taxi over to the main beach, it was very easy and and such a lovely beach for little ones. Go early and get a front row lounger and it's a couple of steps to the sea.

Edited by Mrs applehead
Spelling

On ‎2‎/‎20‎/‎2019 at 4:45 PM, szp-2008 said:

Hi,

I am going on the Christmas Cruise 2019.  Just wondering when you have to be out of your cabin as the flight will not be until the evening.  I am travelling with my 3 year old, so is it best to stay on the ship all day and wait for the transfer or go on a farewell tour?  If you go on the tour do they time this in with your flight so you are not waiting at the airport for too long?  If I stay on the ship, do you have to carry hand luggage around with you all day?  Or is it possible to pay for a "day room" so you can have access to a shower etc?

Thanks very much for your help

Hi,

We have just returned from the Caribbean on Britannia. Our flight was early evening, so we chose to book a daytime cabin and paid £45. This was for an inside cabin, which we found to be excellent value and very useful, it made a great difference from our last experience. We had previously booked the trip 'Goodbye to Barbados' which dumped us at the airport at lunch time and left us with 7 hours to kill!!!

We were given a choice of an inside, balcony or suite cabins. The inside being the least expensive. Hope this helps.

Yes, this really does help, thank you. Did you have to book the day room as soon as you boarded and do you have to vacate the day room a certain amount of time before the transfer to the airport?

On 2/22/2019 at 8:35 PM, szp-2008 said:

Yes, this really does help, thank you. Did you have to book the day room as soon as you boarded and do you have to vacate the day room a certain amount of time before the transfer to the airport?

I'm on a Christmas 2019 cruise out of Barbados and was wondering how you knew your flight was an early evening one? 

We are just back from the Caribbean too. The organisation of flights to and from the UK was superb. We were onboard just an hour after landing. The buses came out to the plane but instead of taking you to the terminal, they went straight to the ship. The cruise terminal was pretty empty (although got busy fairly quickly) when we arrived so checkin was quick and not much queue at security. The bags arrived at our cabin a few hours later. Our transport to the airport on the way home was due to leave about 3pm. Hand luggage was able to be left in the theatre. Again a very efficient system for drop off/collection. We were told we could use the spa for showers etc. My husband had no bother but when I went, was told I couldn’t and would need to go to the gym on deck 17. I had no idea how to find the gym and was rather annoyed. Very inconsistent!! The transfer to the airport was equally efficient, guided straight from the buses to passport control then security, and again minimal queueing. But the airport is very basic and was mobbed due to some delayed flights. We couldn’t get seats for some time. I would book the lounge next time, and consider booking an inside day cabin- from memory, it was available till 3 or 4pm- particularly with a young child. I don’t think any of the return flights left early in the day. Again from memory the earliest pick up was about lunchtime. One of the flights was delayed several hours but updated information was available onboard and updated pick up times.

Great, thanks for the tips.

Ozzysdad - we won’t know flights until 12 weeks or so before, i am just guessing mine will be around 7. Will just have to wait and see.

Scarlet Ohara - how would you book the airport lounge, can you remember?  Think I will book a day room for the last day anyway.

Did you do any tours that you would recommend, and which ports could you get to a beach easily without going on a tour? 

We are on the New Year cruise on Azura and the flight times have just been posted on the Cruise Personaliser.

4 hours ago, ascot2012 said:

We are on the New Year cruise on Azura and the flight times have just been posted on the Cruise Personaliser.

Thank you for that information, we fly out with Thomas Cook at 09.15 on the 14th December for Azura and return on the 28th at 16.15 having just checked my personaliser.

Out of interest does anyone have any info about the TC flights and what to expect, how much is it to reserve seats either way for instance.

We are always on the last coach to leave the ship in Barbados so we always book a day cabin. These are available to book about 3 days before the end of the cruise but you need to be in the queue before O7.30 otherwise you won't get much choice. We always have an inside.  We think it is well worth the money to have somewhere to put our stuff and to have a shower in private before disembarking. I think it was £45 last Christmas but we have paid £70 when we could only get a balcony. By the way the rooms are  advertised in the Horizon newspaper. 

On 2/20/2019 at 7:14 PM, Mrs applehead said:

Good advice.

Thank you.

OP,

We did the farewell to Barbados tour last November, it's probably a good 2-3 hours sat on the bus, broken up with little stops at places. I'm not really sure a 3-4 year old would enjoy it. Think they'd be very bored.

Think, Id either opt for spending money on an inside cabin and make the most of the pool facilities or get a taxi early morning to the beach for a couple of hours, then head back to the ship to pick the bags up after lunch.