Mandatory Service Charges

sidari

Bea ... I believe that Costa also have this Mandatory charge which cannot be removed!

Since MSC have begun to employ those from other cruise lines in senior positions it seems to be that they are going downhill.

With regards to the increased pricing you have to wonder just how much Europe are funding the low prices in the USA!

So it may not be just for UK, so.

These cruise companies should have to publicly announce these changes - it's crazy that we have to rely on forums such as this for information about something that financially affects us.

It can certainly be frustrating seeing some of the great MSC promotions in the US, that's for sure!  Also, all the services available for pre-booking at a reduced price such as Spa, internet and laundry packages.

Edited by Beamafar
  • Like 2

2 minutes ago, Beamafar said:

I've been trying to avoid the subject like the plague on this site, despite the number of times I was tempted to mention it in relation to how the Brits will be affected on European cruises.

It's a shocking saga that the British people were asked to vote for something without knowing what they were voting for and here we are, 2 years on and they still don't know what they want - yet they're blaming everyone else for the mess they've created.

I don't have a dog in the fight, but The People voted.  The UK, like the US has expended blood and treasure to preserve the right to vote. 

That's all I'll say about that. I'm not taking sides. 

The German website still has the old wording, allowing guests to remove or change the service charge at the guest service desk.

Personally I support this change, but it should be more transparent in the price when booking, though I'm not 100% sure I would like it included in the price (like NCL does now) as this makes it non-refundable in case the cruise is cancelled after full payment.

The second positive is if this change is enforced on board it would give some of the serial wingers something different to complain about (maybe a refreshing change from hearing about the number of foreigners on board from English people travelling on an Italian cruise line in the Mediterranean!).  😉

That’s very odd, my contract states,

2.2 Full payment is required no later than 63 days prior to departure (93 days for cruises of 15 nights or more, 120 days for MSC World Cruise 2020).

How can an an additional mandatory charge be added if ‘full’ payment has been made?

• Like 1

I'm confused by this too.

Additionally well 😠 as this subject really gets my goat, not the actual removal but being 'pressganged' for want of a better word.

Although hundreds of posters on these boards, not just MSC, love to pretend removing service charges doesn't happen, or rather they try to enforce that it doesn't through playing the morality card....it does.

For those people this will force them to move away from MSC.

MSC are clearly now moving away from what will become known as their 'old' business model and are joining the mass market. That's fine I guess but be smart about it, put the fares up (AGAIN/MORE) and declare "inclusive pricing of service charges" or " no service charge added to your on board account".

Every week it gets harder to defend the brand.

It's like being in love with someone who plays up but you have to stick by them ....but will you forever?

• Like 1

Part of me supports this change, I have never removed a service charge and don't plan too do so.

But.... when I booked it was allowed, like the drinks package changes, I hate it when they change things after buying the ticket without informing passengers.

I very much doubt I would find the need to remove the service charge but if I did get such bad service, I should have the right as this it how it was when I booked.

17 minutes ago, citizenfrank said:

Although hundreds of posters on these boards, not just MSC, love to pretend removing service charges doesn't happen, or rather they try to enforce that it doesn't through playing the morality card....it does.

This is very true, I am self employed and work in customers homes, when we get to talk about holidays which is a very common conversation, it is amazing how many say "Make sure you go to customer services and remove the service charge." as their first piece of advice, most of these customers are far more affluent than me, most don't even suggest tipping in cash just simply "remove it.".

Edited by ziggyuk
  • Like 1

An additional mandatory charge added to the cost of a package holiday (a cruise is a package holiday) is, in my reading of the regulations, illegal. The only eligible reasons for making additional charges are:

• Increases in transport costs due to changes in fuel prices or other power sources.
  • Changes in taxes or fees on travel services imposed by third parties not involved in the performance of the package, eg, tourist taxes.
  • Exchange rates relevant to the package.

For me, this is not about the pros and cons of gratuities, it is about changing the terms and conditions of a pre-booked holiday in a way that appears contrary to both EU and UK law.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, ziggyuk said:

This is very true, I am self employed and work in customers homes, when we get to talk about holidays which is a very common conversation, it is amazing how many say "Make sure you go to customer services and remove the service charge." as their first piece of advice, most of these customers are far more affluent than me, most don't even suggest tipping in cash just simply "remove it.".

Absolutely correct.

Same experiences in all my conversations, this is why I part laugh but equally get frustrated with all the 'do gooders' who so offensively shame such actions ....the frustration is I will not let anyone try to tell me what to do (and I pay gratuities) but the humour comes from knowing that a he'll of a lot of people are doing it! ....There are lot of individuals on the sailings frequented by these morality police passengers and there would not be enough water in the YC pool to cleanse them 😂

20 minutes ago, Omega1 said:

An additional mandatory charge added to the cost of a package holiday (a cruise is a package holiday) is, in my reading of the regulations, illegal. The only eligible reasons for making additional charges are:

• Increases in transport costs due to changes in fuel prices or other power sources.
  • Changes in taxes or fees on travel services imposed by third parties not involved in the performance of the package, eg, tourist taxes.
  • Exchange rates relevant to the package.

For me, this is not about the pros and cons of gratuities, it is about changing the terms and conditions of a pre-booked holiday in a way that appears contrary to both EU and UK law.

Spot on!

And this is the real point ....Manc solidarity lol

• Like 1

There doesn't seem to be any indication of when this comes/came into force.  I can just imagine the uproar there's going to be on the last and/or second last days of a cruise (when people traditionally queue up to remove the charge).  As the song goes:

🎵There may be trouble ahead ... 🎵

It is about the fact MSC as per usual sneakily added it to the website with no warning to anyone already booked, many people will have moved on from the page shown in the photo without actually seeing the statement about Mandatory charges. At least one poster on this thread who already has.

Cruise lines especially, change terms and conditions regularly without the customer knowing about them and it is only usually if you read the small print that you actually see the change has been made.

The queues at guest services will no doubt get longer and complaints/arguements more heated when those who remove the service charge on a regular basis are told NO!

Not sure how they can justify a forced payment for sub standard service because there is no reason for any crew member to do their best if they know guests cannot remove the service charge.

Edited by sidari
  • Like 1

Bytheway ... well spotted, Dave!  I'd never have seen that if you hadn't alerted me.  It wouldn't show in the same place on the Ireland website as we can't book online, so there's no mention of it in the areas where I'd be searching for cruise prices.

OK we have just done Preziosa in YC and are doing Splendida (same as Beamafar last yr) Dubai to Tokyo.

We always add the service charge to final payment and count it as part of the cost, always done it this way and if anyone goes above and beyond the levels we expect they will get extra cash tips  

• Like 1

Just thought I would put my thoughts in even though I know some would not agree. I would like all cruise lines (not just MSC) to price their cruises with the gratuitys added so therefore there would be no long queues at the customer service desk to have them removed and it would put an end to all this back lash to who pays and who doesn't scenario, then everyone working on the line would get what they all deserve not just customer facing staff. I have not sailed MSC for 5 years but heading out on the Seaside in May, when I booked this cruise I knew about the gratuitys and had no problem with them but it would make things a lot easier just to add them to the final cost. 

• Like 5

I wholeheartedly agree with both of you and have always given an extra tip to crew members who go above and beyond.

Funnily enough, for the last while DH had been saying that we should be considering removing the DSC due to the way the overall costs are escalating, but it would be anathema for me to do it.  I'm pretty sure the crew's basic wages aren't increasing at the same rate (again, DH's attitude is that that's not his problem).  I can't even contemplate NOT tipping our waiter and steward extra most of the time (there have been very rare occasions when I didn't due to poor service).

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

35 minutes ago, sidari said:

P and O are removing gratuities from May this year, maybe the time has come for others including MSC to follow suit.

While that always "sounds" like a good idea, you really have to wonder if it is.

Example 1: Your cruise costs $800 plus $200 in gratuities for a total of $1,000

Example 2: Your cruise costs $1,000 total, gratuities are included

Example 3: Your cruise costs $1,000 total, and there are no gratuities anymore

Honestly....what is the difference?

P and O are removing gratuities in May and moving to Example 3. Don't think that somehow means that these costs won't still be paid.