Ground transportation to and from port

CaboWabo62

5 hours ago, CaboWabo62 said:

I am booking EZAir for our flight to LA , does booking flights with Princess EZAir include transport to and from the port? or do I need airport transfers as well.

No transfers included.

I agree about using Uber/Lyft from LAX to San Pedro. When we did it was $32 to the pier.

There was a time, long ago and far away, when Princess transfers provided a modicum of peace of mind to a first time airport/port combination. 

No longer, IMO. I’ve used Lyft exclusively for a very long time and have NEVER been let down. 

I'd have to say whether or not to choose a Princess transfer depends on the port. For instance, if it's FLL, the airport is 10 minutes from the port, so a cab is quicker and cheaper. If it's Seattle, and you are going to Pier 91, that's a long distance away … maybe 40 minutes or so, depending on traffic. We pre arranged transport with the Seattle Express … definitely less expensive than either a Princess transfer or a taxi and very easy. In Europe, we almost always opt for a taxi to our hotel and from hotel to pier. In a few months we are flying into LAX early in the morning on embarkation day and are going to use a Princess Transfer, because it'll be convenient for us.

We've never tried Uber or Lyft, but that might be another option for those so inclined.

1 hour ago, flamomo said:

I'd have to say whether or not to choose a Princess transfer depends on the port. For instance, if it's FLL, the airport is 10 minutes from the port, so a cab is quicker and cheaper. If it's Seattle, and you are going to Pier 91, that's a long distance away … maybe 40 minutes or so, depending on traffic. We pre arranged transport with the Seattle Express … definitely less expensive than either a Princess transfer or a taxi and very easy. In Europe, we almost always opt for a taxi to our hotel and from hotel to pier. In a few months we are flying into LAX early in the morning on embarkation day and are going to use a Princess Transfer, because it'll be convenient for us.

We've never tried Uber or Lyft, but that might be another option for those so inclined.

Uber and Lyft are so easy to use. I hope you take the plunge and try it!

I will say- years ago- when Uber was new- I signed up and just took a "trial run" to see if I liked it... I was sold!

2 hours ago, flamomo said:

Old habits die hard.  I’m a poster child for this. 

Moving to Lyft (Uber in Russia and parts of Europe) is one of the smartest things I’ve ever done. 

Never looked back. 

Used Lyft last week for the first time from Port Everglades to a hotel about 30 mins. away.  Driver was there in 2 mins., newer, clean car, safe, good driver, professional and pleasant, and great price. I received notification of the driver's name, driver's   picture, car picture and license plate so we knew who to look for.  It was great. 

Edited by Suncitycruiser1925
Typing error

In LAX to San Pedro we use Prime Time or Super Shuttle always arriving at least a day before we sail and returning to LAX when we debark from the ship.  We always book online to get the discount.  We have never had a problem.  We now always use EZair for the many benefits besides the cheaper price. 

Edited by satxdiver

We like Uber in San Pedro. The last time we flew into LAX we foolishly used Super Shuttle. We got the "scenic route" to the pier as they drove all over heck to drop people off here and there at their homes. It was terrible. I'll go back to just using Uber as it has worked well for us every time.

On 2/20/2019 at 5:49 PM, CaboWabo62 said:

I am booking EZAir for our flight to LA , does booking flights with Princess EZAir include transport to and from the port? or do I need airport transfers as well.

No. You have to book transfers separately. We use ez air booking regularly.  No complaints. We usually get an Uber xl for less than transfer for 1 person. 

On ‎02‎/‎20‎/‎2019 at 4:49 PM, CaboWabo62 said:

If you want Princess transfers, you will need to book them separately. If you booked direct with Princess, you can book them on your Cruise Personalizer. If you booked through a travel agent, you will have to call your travel agent to book Princess transfers.

I know this seems strange. If you book through a travel agent, you can add an airline ticket costing several thousand dollars online with the Cruise Personalizer, but you can't add a simple transfer without going through the agent.

As many people have said, there are often less expensive ways to get to the port than the Princess transfer - especially if you are traveling with another person. However Princess transfers do have some advantages that may or may not matter to you - probably more important at an overseas port. The Princess representative meets you at the terminal and takes you to the bus. Your luggage is handled for you - once you put it on the bus, you don't see it until it's in your cabin on the ship; any other method requires you to handle your luggage at the pier.

If you are flying day of cruise departure, once you are on the Princess bus, you will get to the ship on time even if there is a major traffic delay. The ship knows that the Princess bus is on the way with passengers, so it will probably wait for you. If you are traveling on your own and have a major traffic delay, there is more chance the ship will leave without you. This becomes more important the closer your scheduled flight arrival is to the ship departure time and the farther the pier is from the airport.

32 minutes ago, CaboWabo62 said:

Thank you Navy Veteran.

That is the clarification I needed.  The only advantage with Princess transfer  is not dealing with luggage and not missing the ship.

Thats what I thought for my transfer in NY in Nov when boarding the Regal.

Had to carry my luggage to the coach from baggage claim which was put underneath then reclaim from under the bus at the port and then take them to the porters. I was not happy. Flight was late arriving so we arrived at the port around 3:30. Sailing at 5:00. 

I don't normally take the transfer and I don't normally fly in the day of. However I booked the cruise 2 weeks prior to sailing and I knew my flight (non stop) would arrive in the early afternoon. I have never had to deal with my luggage on a Princess transfer before.

As far as booking the transfer online in ones booking. I have only seen the option to book a transfer when making a booking on Princess.com. You either accept or decline the transfer during the check out/payment/deposit process. Once you are booked I have never seen any option to add them at a later date. (maybe this has changed?) I have always had to call Princess or my TA.

Oh by the way the Princess rep at LGA was nowhere to be found.